Properties of Granada stone

Le Fanu

I have a wand which has a gorgeous brute granada on the hilt. Weirdly, when I do a search here for granada, nothing whatsoever comes up. Surely, someone must have asked about the properties of granada here before now? Or am I using a less common name?

When I search the net, I get mostly that city in Spain, but I'm trying to find out what the stone granada is, what's its properties are. The short blurb in the New Age shop emphasised passion, love and sexuality, but surely it has other properties?

MCsea

I remember looking into this years ago - and Im not sure what I eventually turned up I remember granada means red.. Is your stone red?

I found this which says... basically granada is 'red stone' ruby or garnet'

http://www.marykingshop.com/granada.html
Sob o nome granada encontramos uma vasta família de gemas que surgem em todas as cores, excepto azul. A granada almandina é vermelha com uma tonalidade violeta. Recentemente, foi descoberta granada verde, a que a Companhia Tiffany deu o nome de Tsavorite.
A granada vermelha (que pode ser de um vermelho vivo, escuro ou acastanhado) era usada pelos antigos egípcios como um antídoto para as picadas de serpente. Acreditava-se também que os seus donos estariam protegidos dos maus sonhos e dos perigos do veneno. Na tradição cristã, a granada vermelho-sangue simboliza o sacrifício de Cristo.

aka Arizona Ruby, Arizona Spinel, Australian Ruby, Black Hills Ruby, Bohemian Ruby, Montana Ruby, Mountain Ruby, New Mexico Ruby, Rocky Mountain Ruby
The name for this coveted wine-colored gemstone comes from the Latin granatus for "seedlike," possibly because the crystals resemble pomegranate seeds. The birthstone for January, garnets are a group of common silicate minerals that have similar crystal structures and chemical compositions. Though the red-colored garnet receives the most recognition, the stone also appears in yellow, orange, green, pink, white and gray....

Also http://www.gemstonestreet.com/gemsforaries.php

Ruby
The ruby has always been associated with contentment and is considered to be a symbol of freedom and power, increasing energy levels. It is said to stimulate love if worn close to the heart. It is an aid in stimulating intuitive thought and is often used as a general tonic. It encourages selflessness and devotion.
This stone is especially valued in India, Where it is found in riverbeds. Singhalese legend calls rubies “tears of Buddha” and it is a sacred gem to the Buddhists. It is one of the many stones that are said to stop bleeding and is also though to help those suffering from sadness or melancholy. To the people of the Middle Ages, it was a token of friendship and it was believed that in times of trouble it would grow paler. There is a story that Catherine of Aragon wore a ruby in a ring on her little finger and as the love of her husband waned, so the stone became dull and pale. It is also recorded that the ruby set in the state crown of England had an unfortunate history – legend has it that Pedro of Castile so wanted the stone that he murdered the King of Granada to gain possession of it. Worn on the brow, the ruby is thought to give added insight and increase mental power. It also said to be able to ward of evil spirits, protect against poisons and act as an antidote to snakebite.

Any chance you could you pop a photo up?

Le Fanu

MCsea said:
Sob o nome granada encontramos uma vasta família de gemas que surgem em todas as cores, excepto azul. A granada almandina é vermelha com uma tonalidade violeta. Recentemente, foi descoberta granada verde, a que a Companhia Tiffany deu o nome de Tsavorite.
A granada vermelha (que pode ser de um vermelho vivo, escuro ou acastanhado) era usada pelos antigos egípcios como um antídoto para as picadas de serpente. Acreditava-se também que os seus donos estariam protegidos dos maus sonhos e dos perigos do veneno. Na tradição cristã, a granada vermelho-sangue simboliza o sacrifício de Cristo.
Thank you so much for all this useful information! I see that you included here a text in Portuguese. I think they have granadas in Brazil because I bought some there once. Maybe this text is Brazilian? I shall translate it in case it is of interest for others...

"Granada belongs to a vast family of gemstones which come in all colours except blue. The grand almandina is red with a hint of violet. Recently a green granada was discovered to which Tiffany gave the name Tsavorite.

The red granada (which can be bright red, dull red or brownish) was used by the Ancient Egyptians as an antidote to snake bite. It was also believed that its owners would be protected against bad dreams and poison. In the christian tradition, the blood red granada symbolised the blood of Christ."

Fascinating info. I think mine is the unpolished brownish version. It really is time I put a pic up of my table with my wands and crystals and kill lots of birds with one stone!

MCsea

Le Fanu said:
Fascinating info. I think mine is the unpolished brownish version. It really is time I put a pic up of my table with my wands and crystals and kill lots of birds with one stone!

So granada is garnet... lovely

YES PLEASE - that would be fantastic :)

glad the info helped

MCsea

double post oops