Is This Legal?

gregory

I think everyone now knows the name.... So - let's all not speak to him }) :)

It's so STUPID of him - it might be a good programme if he would only approach it the right way....

irian

Seems I got in here a bit late. I've been reading the back posts though, and all I can say is, this sucks. Especially for the independent publishers and self-published artists like Karen and Ciro whose works were ripped off. I'm wondering why U.S. Games hasn't jumped in to defend their copyright though, as they're known to be most vocal when it comes to copyright issues right? Particularly for the Rider-Waite deck?

Taamar

I would love to see a product like this done right... maybe the way online games are, with a one-use key inside each tarot box that allows the program to upload the images only of decks you've purchased, and that have been made available in that format by the copyright owner?

baba-prague

gregory said:
I think everyone now knows the name.... So - let's all not speak to him }) :)

It's so STUPID of him - it might be a good programme if he would only approach it the right way....

Do please read the information that JMD posted. It seems that this is NOT a tarot program, it's a criminal operation that is aimed at getting people's credit card and PayPal details.

gregory

baba-prague said:
Do please read the information that JMD posted. It seems that this is NOT a tarot program, it's a criminal operation that is aimed at getting people's credit card and PayPal details.
I did read it, baba - BUT - a couple of people here HAD bought it and liked it OK. (see Bernice, above, to name but one...) So the programme does exist, at least. And in that sense, he should do it right.

Yes it is malware - but still. The principle holds; that you do it right... I don't think it is ONLY to get paypal details - I think they may be just using the same collecting agency that was blasted in the computer press recently - a few others have innocently used it too - sadly I don't have the details here, or a good enough connection to search - but it was the people collecting the money for others (using a German bank account) who then went on to use the payment details fraudulently. I think there may well be two levels of fraud going on here.... The name of Lapshin has come up before in terms of copyright infringement, I think. More than once.

jmd

...and they're at it again on Tarotpedia... obviously masking their IP in the process by perhaps using proxy servers.

...I've written an entry in the ATS 'blog' Newsletter archive, in case anyone's also interested in warning others about it.

Bernice

gregory said:
I did read it, baba - BUT - a couple of people here HAD bought it and liked it OK. (see Bernice, above, to name but one...) So the programme does exist, at least. And in that sense, he should do it right.

Ooops... Greg dear, this is what I actually said:
Bee: I had previously downloaded the Visual Tarot - to check it out - not impressed. Lots of self-promoting babble. There are similar *freeware* programs available.

I never, ever would BUY a card/tarot program - giggling. I'm a freeware/sourceforge person.
I write my own 'divination' software if I want one - to do exactly what I want them to do. The only thing I've ever been guilty of, is hiding an easter-egg in a program.

I'm not surprised that Visual Tarot is malware.

Bee :)

gregory

Bernice said:
Ooops... Greg dear, this is what I actually said:

I never, ever would BUY a card/tarot program - giggling. I'm a freeware/sourceforge person.
I write my own 'divination' software if I want one - to do exactly what I want them to do. The only thing I've ever been guilty of, is hiding an easter-egg in a program.

I'm not surprised that Visual Tarot is malware.

Bee :)
Well - fair enough; but does the free download not do Bad Things too, then ? that is the fastest way to spread malware - to make it free !
Who the heck WAS it in this thread that paid for it....? Someone did and it would be good to know if it compromised her machine....

ETA BlueBird5. Have we seen her lately ???? :bugeyed:

Bernice

'lo Greg :)

Run all suspect apps. in a sandbox - any toxic stuff is then unable to compromise your pc.

Shame that freeware is getting a bad name for being bugged with viruses etc. My stuff isn't I can assure you!

Bee :) xxx