White Sage

Ahria

Where do u get White Sage from and is it different to the Sage you buy for cooking? (Sorry if its a stupid question)

lunalafey

There are all sorts of different kinds of sage. White sage can be used for cooking but is not the same that is bought at a grocery store.
Broadleaf or Silver are other names you might want to look for when trying to find sage. Try a search "smudge sticks" and you'll probably find something.

Ulfdis

White Sage (the stuff you burn for smudging) is a member of the genus Artemisia. Cooking sage, as well as several species grown for looks, is from genus Salvia. White Sage may be a little difficult for you to get in South Africa, but it's a very common weed in the western United States.

Ahria

Apprently one country's weed is another's rare plant. *sigh* I have phoned a couple of nuseries (the plant kind, although I got one number for the children kind and the woman said she had plenty of plants although she didnt know what they were :p) and they would try and locate some but they usually only stock the herb type.

Are there any other types of herbs I can use for smudging?

lunalafey

cedar, sweetgrass....are a few, but probably not available to you.
What you might try doing is looking around at your native plants that are growing wild. Smell them. Pick a few, {say a prayer of thanks} about two fingers width. Wrap them with cotton yarn or string tightly. Hang them to dry in a cool dark dry place.
Once they are dry, light them, see how they burn. You will want to get them going and then blow out the flame so they only smolder. some will slowly burn on thier own, some might need some help now and then.
Go with what smells effective- strong odors repel negitive energies and sweet smells attract positive energies.

Majecot

I found white sage at a little New Age shop a couple of towns away from me. There aren't many shops like that in my area. They sell a variety of smudge sticks there also.

You should be able to find smudge sticks in a metaphysical shop if you have one in your area. If not there is always the internet :D

TemperanceAngel

Rosemary and Lavendar can be burnt too :) Rosemary very smoking , but great! Have you tried resins? Frankincense, benzoin, myrrh to name a few...beautiful...or even sandalwood powder, not the white stuff trees are very rare :)

Ahria

I was wondering about Lavender :) and Rosemary is just a bonus. Thank you for the help. We have both growing in the garden so that solves that problem.