leaning mountain

arya ishtar

the lovers mountain leans to the left. discuss?

rwcarter

"lean" isn't the word I would use. I don't think any mountains are completely centered (from all perspectives). Yes, the tip of the mountain appears to favor the woman's left hand, but I don't know that in and of itself, I'd place any weight on that fact unless there was some other card in the spread that drew my attention or if the answer to the question asked somehow made sense to do so.

Zephyros

I'll agree with rwcarter, it seems to slight to be meanignful. However, even if it isn't intentional, I could imagine a mountain to be a male symbol, while the lean towards the receptive female shows harmony in some way. By this theory, the male element is balancing the female by having the cloud lean a bit towards him, perhaps suggesting the two topmost Sephiroths.

If I really wanted to rape the card, I could suggest it to be a massive breast rising up from the feminine Earth towards the masculine Sun at the top. This actually isn't as far fetched as it may sound at first, if you look at the suggestive shape just below the mountain.

It really all makes sense, and even if a creator of a deck didn't plan on something, it doesn't mean it's not there. Everything I said is true, for me.

Barleywine

That's not a mountain at all (in the Radiant it's brown!). Someone forgot to clean up after the angel })

Personally, I wouldn't read anything into it. I think it was done strictly for design purposes. I took a look at the BOTA deck drawn by Jessie Burns Parke in the PCS style - the most worshipful RWS clone I have - and the mountain is completely symmetrical, even though Case chided Parke for being too slavish in her adaptation.

Siochanai

The lean to the left may corrispond to the path on the tree of life. The lovers connects 3 binah to 6 tiphareth which is a path that leans left.

Binah corrisponds to the queen suit btw.

Barleywine

The lean to the left may corrispond to the path on the tree of life. The lovers connects 3 binah to 6 tiphareth which is a path that leans left.

Binah corrisponds to the queen suit btw.

I like this explanation. I was thinking that it looked like something might slide down that slope from her hand. This idea would fit that impression.

Siochanai

I like this explanation. I was thinking that it looked like something might slide down that slope from her hand. This idea would fit that impression.

I think it make good sense because Waite did not want to out right give away the GD secrets. At the same time he wanted symbolism there and figured most people would never figure it out or just overlook it. This is subtle enough to easily do that.

arya ishtar

i think it's way too far left to be unintentional. no other mountain in the deck has the summit leaning over. i don't think waite and smith did much unintentionally. think it might have something to do with man representing the conscious mind and woman representing the unconscious or subconscious. notice the man is looking at the woman. he doesn't even notice the angel. the woman, however, is totally focused on the angel. (mountain) aspirations? leaning toward the subconscious? instead of the conscious, who sees only "naked chick!!!"? (there is a method to my madness...)

MagsStardustBlack

It could represent an erection? I'm just saying.... Cause its leaning towards the woman from the man :.o

The card - IS 'The Lovers' :.) Sex is an act of love and physical bonding between lovers :.)

Plus I wonder if in this secret society if they did use sex 'the connecting of male and female as a form of magical worship' for something or other?

arya ishtar

It could represent an erection? I'm just saying.... Cause its leaning towards the woman from the man :.o

The card - IS 'The Lovers' :.) Sex is an act of love and physical bonding between lovers :.)

Plus I wonder if in this secret society if they did use sex 'the connecting of male and female as a form of magical worship' for something or other?

read somewhere that every card has 3 interpretations: the mundane/physical, the psychological, and the spiritual. so we have the first two. :) and what of spirit?