leaning mountain

MagsStardustBlack

read somewhere that every card has 3 interpretations: the mundane/physical, the psychological, and the spiritual. so we have the first two. :) and what of spirit?

Spirit..... Is love the most powerful force in the universe? The say the cards have meanings under meanings, that their secrets are so mysterious and not obvious so thinking outside of the box is needed for deciphering the symbolism, teaseing out the secrets.

Maybe the human soul - human spirit is love, universal love, the spirit molecule that connects all living creatures and plant life in the universe, love is the conecting force. The angel representing the divine higher forces - alien life form. Hey maybe the card is saying that we came from aliens across the universe??? That would be a spiritual connection, ie our past our history our begginings........ radical or ridiculous (shrug)

Zephyros

This isn't apparent in the RWS, but this card is a highly alchemical one, which takes care of the spiritual side. Sulphur and Salt combing to form something new, which illustrates the Lovers aspect of this card perfectly. A melding of opposites, balance in discord, things like that.

MagsStardustBlack

This isn't apparent in the RWS, but this card is a highly alchemical one, which takes care of the spiritual side. Sulphur and Salt combing to form something new, which illustrates the Lovers aspect of this card perfectly. A melding of opposites, balance in discord, things like that.

Hi Closrapexa,

Your ref' 'Sulphur and salt' combined forms what?

I would like to understand your thoughts but forgive me i am new to RWS,

thanks,

Mags :.)

Zephyros

No problem, I sometimes have a tendency to talk to myself, you'll have to shut me up if i do :)

Anyway, it's more Golden Dawn than RWS, and more Thoth than Golden Dawn, but you'll be able to find a lot of information here. The alchemical references are at the bottom of the page, beginning just after the quote by Joseph Campell. Alchemy could be defined as the spiritual side of science, in a way.

http://hermetic.com/kimbell/lectures/the-lovers.html

Barleywine

read somewhere that every card has 3 interpretations: the mundane/physical, the psychological, and the spiritual. so we have the first two. :) and what of spirit?

Since I dragged out my Cirlot "Dictionary of Symbols" for another thread, I thought I would see what it has to say about the spiritual symbolism of mountains. Nothing surprising:

"Deriving from (the idea of) height are interpretations such as that of Teillard, who equates the mountain with inner "loftiness" of spirit, that is, transposing the the notion of ascent to the realm of spirit. In alchemy, on the other hand, the reference is nearly always to the hollow mountain, the hollow being a cavern which is the "philosopher's oven". In general, the mountain, the hill and the mountain-top are all associated with the idea of meditation, spiritual elevation and the communion of the blessed."

Similarly, Paul Foster Case says of mountains ". . . they suggest climbing, aspiration, the possibility of attainment. We all have peaks to climb, and the incentive to action, the disposing element in our consciousness that leads to volition, has always in the background this idea of climbing above our present level."

Since the mountain in the RWS Lovers is leaning toward the woman, it seems to reinforce the fact that she is fully aware of the angel while the man is oblivious to it. Thus, the spiritual ascent to communion with the higher consciousness is through the unconscious rather than through the self-conscious mind.

MagsStardustBlack

No problem, I sometimes have a tendency to talk to myself, you'll have to shut me up if i do :)

Anyway, it's more Golden Dawn than RWS, and more Thoth than Golden Dawn, but you'll be able to find a lot of information here. The alchemical references are at the bottom of the page, beginning just after the quote by Joseph Campell. Alchemy could be defined as the spiritual side of science, in a way.

http://hermetic.com/kimbell/lectures/the-lovers.html

Thanks closrapexa,

Thanks for clarifying, I Understand you point now and you angle,

:.) Mags

arya ishtar

since the mountain in the rws lovers is leaning toward the woman, it seems to reinforce the fact that she is fully aware of the angel while the man is oblivious to it. Thus, the spiritual ascent to communion with the higher consciousness is through the unconscious rather than through the self-conscious mind.

bingo! :)

arya ishtar

"lean" isn't the word I would use. I don't think any mountains are completely centered (from all perspectives). Yes, the tip of the mountain appears to favor the woman's left hand, but I don't know that in and of itself, I'd place any weight on that fact unless there was some other card in the spread that drew my attention or if the answer to the question asked somehow made sense to do so.

Sometime a card's meaning is not about a reading. "fortune telling" is one use. Passing on information is another. All the info in a card cannot be pertinent to every reading, but that doesn't mean the information isn't there. Have you read the rabbi's tarot? It is a very dry, very confusing read, but speaks a ton about stuff that doesn't necessarily translate to divining.

arya ishtar

Since the mountain in the RWS Lovers is leaning toward the woman, it seems to reinforce the fact that she is fully aware of the angel while the man is oblivious to it. Thus, the spiritual ascent to communion with the higher consciousness is through the unconscious rather than through the self-conscious mind.

THAT is the direction i was trying to take this thread. Thanks, barleywine!

Richard

In the Gnostic literature, it is Eve who gives Adam consciousness. Here is one of several versions of this:

When Eve saw her male partner cast down, she pitied him, and she said, “Adam, live! Rise up on the earth!” Immediately her word became an accomplished deed. For when Adam rose up, immediately he opened his eyes. When he saw her, he said, “You will be called the mother of the living, because you are the one who gave me life.

- Hyposthesis of the Archons​

Also, Eve was the instrument of the Instructor (Nachash), who got Adam to eat the Fruit of the Tree of Knowledge, a metaphor for the transition from childhood to adulthood and the evolution from lower animal to fully evolved human being. In the section on The Lovers in PKT, Waite hints at the crucial role of Eve in the Enlightenment of Man.