Rider deck with vivid coloring

daphne

I happen to like Italian things, but I think that USG contracted with a printer which did a less than stellar job on the Rider-Waite (and the Albano-Waite). The colors are brighter than on the Chinese printing, but it's things like the blotchy, sunburned skin of the Temperance angel that bother me.

Nice to see comparison side by side!

Richard

......I don`t like to grey-sh moody colors of the US Games decks and I wand an older print, with brighter colors, not Universal, Radiant or variants, just the classic drawing Rider Waite, but with better, more vivid, coloring.
I keep thinking that you might enjoy the Albano-Waite. Originally published in 1968, it is the classic Rider-Waite drawings with more vivid coloring. I have attached a scan of some cards from my 1987 Belgian-German edition. It has the colors that Waite and Smith might have used originally had they not felt that to do so would have violated their Golden Dawn oaths of secrecy. The color scheme was developed from Golden Dawn materials by Dr. P. F. Case and adapted by Frankie Albano for the Rider-Waite deck.

Attachments

• albano.jpg
    albano.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 118

gregory

How about the University Books one ? Bright and then some ! I love it !

Strictly ebay stuff though - but easy enough to find there, I'd think !

daphne

Richard, you got me!
Strangely enough, I was convinced I will never like Albano deck...Now I want one...almost impossible for me at those ebay prices, but maybe one day...

Greg, I compared side by side pictures from Albano and Universal Press, and Albano looks way more brighter. And brighter to me is better, I am color fool.:)

gregory

UNIVERSITY Books.... It is IMHO brighter than the Albano, but still, it is also - rather weird !

The USG Albano - which is good and bright - is easy enough to find new. It's on amazon right now

Richard

UNIVERSITY Books.... It is IMHO brighter than the Albano, but still, it is also - rather weird !

The USG Albano - which is good and bright - is easy enough to find new. It's on amazon right now
The main problem with my USG Albano is that it STINKS big time! It has a weird, pungent chemical smell that won't go away; it gives me a headache. There is an English Belgian printing, but I don't know where to get it. Jackdaw* might know.

daphne

The main problem with my USG Albano is that it STINKS big time! It has a weird, pungent chemical smell that won't go away; it gives me a headache.

Is it like plastic smell?

Richard

Is it like plastic smell?
Yes!!!! The worst plastic smell I've ever in my life smelled. If you're in the US, I'll mail you my USG Albano for free.

swedishfish612

Richard, you got me!
Strangely enough, I was convinced I will never like Albano deck...Now I want one...almost impossible for me at those ebay prices, but maybe one day...

Greg, I compared side by side pictures from Albano and Universal Press, and Albano looks way more brighter. And brighter to me is better, I am color fool.:)

They're both beautiful; I vote for buying both!

But you can get the older Albano cheaper than the eBay prices I'm seeing right now. I got mine for around $50. I had to wait for one priced in my range, and it was worth the wait!

I got my Uni Books version for about $30.

daphne

Yes!!!! The worst plastic smell I've ever in my life smelled. If you're in the US, I'll mail you my USG Albano for free.

Oh, poor you must really hate it! :)

Thanks a lot for the offer, they kind of you, but I am going to wait for an older version.