How do you read Nine of Swords with The Devil together?

Kgirl

How would you interpret Nine of Swords and The Devil in terms of feelings? I am really stuck on this one!

Firstly I see them as ill-dignified with Air and Earth together so they tend to take on more of th reverse qualities? Would that be right?

Nine of Swords reversed I've seen as depression or bordering on and The Devil reversed is like possibly setting yourself free from some sort of dependency or obsession.

I don't know how to marry these two together though? Could it be the come down from an addiction? Could it be a strong sexual attraction being effected by worry and anxiety?

Any help would be appreciated :)

Masa

The way I see it, in this combination the Devil means something is trapping you, hindering you, and blinding you by offering a small reward that is not worth the price you pay for it. The Nine of Swords is anguish and heartache over something you know is a problem but that you can't seem to get control over. It's like the thrashing of a person in the bonds of addiction--any kind of addiction, physical, mental, spiritual, or emotional. Other suits appearing in the reading might help narrow that down. So I see guilt here, and despair, and self-recrimination. They want to abandon the thing--or at least, they want to want to abandon it--but they can't, or don't believe they can. The chain around their neck may be loose, but it's so heavy.

Amanda

Something both of those cards have in common is self-defeating behavior.

Kiata

Feeling guilty - realising the extend of guilt and it seems to be something big , nothing banal. It is not the kind of guilty feeling one would get from eating the last piece of your mums favourite chocolate.

Or having a horrified moment of realizing the intensity of a dependency on ... whatever a clarifier will indicate next.

I always draw too many cards :( to me the sentence, the message isn't finished yet..

starrystarrynight

If you're looking at them as ill-dignified, perhaps guilt and shame (9 Swords, i-d) over uncontrollable temptations or using people (Devil, i-d.)

Kgirl

Masa - thanks for that ... yes I can see that meaning ... so the addiction is still rife?

Amanda - agree ... its very self-defeating ... wonder if its obsessive worrying?

Kiata - that's quite a good way of looking at it ... yeah ... the moment you realise you are tied to something

starry - that actually feels very close to describing this person

Thank you all so much

So you don't think there is any way of seeing the ill-dignified Devil here as possibly overcoming those addictions?

Masa

So you don't think there is any way of seeing the ill-dignified Devil here as possibly overcoming those addictions?

I'm not used to paying attention to ill-dignified clashes, so I'm not sure I know what it means. But I guess you could say that the anxiety of the 9 of swords is making the person chafe against their addiction and start finding it not worthwhile, which could be the first step to overcoming it.

exmuse

How would you interpret Nine of Swords and The Devil in terms of feelings? :)

Not good. I'm holding my cross up against that one and I'm not catholic. It's a big no go there.

nisaba

How would you interpret Nine of Swords and The Devil in terms of feelings? I am really stuck on this one!

Giving in to your baser instincts (the Devil) will lead to misery (Nine Swords).

Or depression (Nine Swords) will lead to you making unwise choices which will have unpleasant after-effects (Devil).

Kgirl

Masa - thanks for that - I agree ... I think with the heaviness of these cards means its hard to see any light at all

exmuse - LOL yes I felt the same way when I read these two cards together :laugh:

nisaba - I think you are right and there really is no lessening of the negative aspects of these two cards

I think this is all round misery.

As the question related to someone's feelings for another person, I just wonder if Nine of Swords here is guilt at how they are treating that person or what they are doing to them or does it mean this person is just caught up in their own misery?