Two of wands and death

Alex

When my grandmother was admitted to the hospital last time, she was already very old and her body was having problems controling the temperature. The docs didn't know what to do cause she didn't have any detectable malady. She was just... very old. So they said.

I drew a card for her that day and got the Two of Wands. I failed to make sense out of it at the time. A few days latter, Halloween day, she passed away.

I never forgott it and from that moment on I started associating the two of wands with Death. Should that be taken just... as a coincidence... or there might be some other interpretation escaping me ... or someone else has had similar experience?

Alex.

Musie

Hi Alex,
First, I am so sorry about your grandmother :(

What deck were you using? Probably something in the picture may have triggered an intuitive message for you. I often get cards that will mean something completely different. For instance, I predicted a death with the three of swords which came true, but it was the image of the card that triggered it. Every deck I find speaks differently and I find the Tarot will bring up the right card every time. I know 3 of swords usually refers to a love triangle, but depends on the question. It may not trigger the same response for you if it comes up in another reading. It is called intuitive tarot reading :)

Alex

Mythic deck. I failed to give a meaning at the time.

She'd been on and off the hospital for strange reasons for a couple of years already, every time the doctors said, she wasn't going to make it, and every time, she made it... but the last one... so I kind of saw that image in the Mythic deck as meaning she was going to leave the hospital. She left. Her own body.

It was her time. When one is 94, I guess it's a good time. She had a long, healthy life. It's good when people go like that, no sorrow, no pain for her or the family. It's almost the best one can expect from this life.

Alex.

Musie said:
What deck were you using? Probably something in the picture may have triggered an intuitive message for you

Musie

I have the Mythic deck. Two of wands ... (off the top of my head) is that the one where the boy holds the wands and looks toward the cave where Chiron is? I find that card is kind of deep myself. I see that card like a rite of passage. It would certainly be fitting in your reading.

Blessings to you and your grandmother. I am happy to hear she was without pain when she passed. I think that is how we all want to go. I feel so sad for the ones who go painfully and too early, especially the wee ones :(

tarotbear

Swords or Wands?

I'M CONFUSED.
The title of the thread says 'Swords', but everyone is talking about 'Wands' -- which is it? ???

Thirteen

Not about death--about you

Alex, I don't think the card related to Death so much as it related to YOU. The card was a "prediction" if you will of how the passing of your grandmother would affect you. After all, as you point out, this death was not a surprise, not unexpected, so I can't see the cards telling you something was going to happen that you already pretty much knew. Rather the cards pointed out to you, "warned" you if you will, that this passing, expected as it was, was still going to change you.

Given the image on the card, it implies a rite of passage for you. Anyone's death--but most especially the death of someone who you were close to, or had an influence on your life--can give you a new perspective, turn you onto a new road--and, most especially, give you a very new and maturing perspective on your own life. It makes you look at the choices in your life. I think the cards were saying that you would soon be making decisions very differently than you did before because of your grandmother's passing.

Very apt for the 2 of Wands. I don't think you should saddle it with meaning "death," but it certainly means decisions, change, growth and new perspectives, whatever the initial cause.

Alex

Re: Swords or Wands?

Wands. Just fixed it. Thanks.

tarotbear said:
I'M CONFUSED.
The title of the thread says 'Swords', but everyone is talking about 'Wands' -- which is it? ???

knavescurvy

2 as a decision

I always see 2 as a decision as to whether a new "idea" is a good one so 2 of wands is about a fundamental decision about the self and the ego. To say that this will always result in death is a very harsh burden for this card. Also the card may be about you and what the situation with your grandmother ment for you.

werewolfmoon

My grandma passed this week, she was 91 and it was peaceful.

In my daily spread today I got The two of Wands and Death. I see it a number of ways so far:

Choices and intense feelings.
A decision about change.
Choosing to end something and begin a new.

Last night Death and The World popped out of my deck, an end of an era. :heart:

starrystarrynight

When my mom was in hospice and about to pass, the nurses told me that a terminal patient often gets to "chose" exactly when she leaves her body. In Mom's case, she waited until all of us were out of the room getting a bite to eat. She, apparently didn't want us to witness her actual passing (and knowing Mom, it was her thought that she was protecting us one last time.)

To me, the Two of Wands expresses just that. That card is about decisions and waiting. Your grandmother chose her passing moment (Two,) and she waited until she felt the time was right (Two Wands.)

I wouldn't associate the Two of Wands with death; however, sometimes the circumstances fit the sentiment of the cards. This could be such a case.