The Star, Marselleis deck - Relationship

white ace

I did a 5 cards spread for a friend which was regarding about Relationship.

1: the matter/issue
2: how the partner view him/her
3: how him/her view the partner
4: solution
5: outcome

Strange but true when The Star appeared for the 1st card - It gives the meaning that there will be a woman who will lead the man astray by her pour out feelings and attracts the man with her beauty/sexual attraction.

Sophie

That's a strange, eccentric meaning for The Star card! Not impossible to imagine if it's a "negative" or blocked Star (e.g. if the other cards point to negative developments from that first card, or if you drew it reversed), but that meaning is by no means a usual one for The Star, especially not in the Marseille.

When you look at the card, what does it makes you think of? A woman who leads a man astray? Me, it makes me think of peace, quiet opening of feelings, etc. After all, stars don't really shine in our night skies with great force, more with discreet beauty, don't they? Of course a man might fall in love with such a woman, but why would you say he is led astray? It is more likely that he would be happy at last with such a love.

Traditionally, the Star card is a healing card, and is especially strong after a difficult time, announcing both hope and healing, and a love that is peaceful, reliable, healing and beautiful. Like a starlit sky, or a lady pouring gentle waters over burnt skin.

The image comes from very old Mediterranean and Celtic imagery of healing water goddesses or nymphs, and represents a spring, which like a Star, is a symbol of hope and life renewed.

balenciaga

sounds like a traditional interpretation of the Star. :)
I see it as wishing and hoping, despite the reality of the situation at hand. Or prayer and having faith.

Sophie

balenciaga said:
sounds like a traditional interpretation of the Star. :)
It's not really traditional, unless it's a very old fortune-telling meaning, pre-Marteau (i.e. dating back to the 19th Century), which is possible. Beautiful women, free and happy women, and especially naked women were always considered dangerous in the old days by a patriarchal society that was afraid of women and of our healing power.

kwaw

Fudugazi said:
That's a strange, eccentric meaning for The Star card!

Intuitive? Non-standard? I thought you promoted such? Or Not? You have a standard 'tradition' to promote as 'correct', whose the 'authority' on that one then?

Kwaw

kwaw

white ace said:
Strange but true when The Star appeared for the 1st card - It gives the meaning that there will be a woman who will lead the man astray by her pour out feelings and attracts the man with her beauty/sexual attraction.

That's what your intuition tells you it does or will mean? What it means in this instance? Or that what you think it meant in retrospect?

Can certainly see how it could be interpreted that way...it all depends upon context.

Kwaw

Sophie

kwaw said:
Intuitive? Non-standard? I thought you promoted such? Or Not? You have a standard 'tradition' to promote as 'correct', whose the 'authority' on that one then?
Kwaw - I took white ace's sentence: "It gives the meaning that there will be a woman who will lead the man astray by her pour out feelings and attracts the man with her beauty/sexual attraction" as being taken out of a book or LWB, and I find it very unusual. Perhaps it was not taken out of a book?

I promote both book learning and intuition, and the skillful use and mingling of both, as I am on record for writing before. The Star is a Trump card, and I don't think we can project any old thing onto Trump cards, the iconography of which did not appear ex nihilo. I've given a few for the Star, all of which are traditional. The image of maidens/water goddesses pouring water to signify healing springs is 2500 years old at least -and the link between stars and hope older still. I wouldn't recommend going so far away from those traditions that the Trumps lose all meaning. My authority is the same as yours - iconographic history ;), and when reading, I use my intuition as to which of it applies, and how. But I can also see that in a patriarchal society, naked women pouring healing waters are frowned on. That might be the origin of the meaning given by white ace.

kwaw

Fudugazi said:
Kwaw - I took white ace's sentence: "It gives the meaning that there will be a woman who will lead the man astray by her pour out feelings and attracts the man with her beauty/sexual attraction" as being taken out of a book or LWB, and I find it very unusual. Perhaps it was not taken out of a book?

Could be...I didn't read it that way. Ace, is that a LWB or other book meaning or one you came up with yourself at the time? Or one you will now associate with the card because it is appropriate in retrospect to a particular reading and known outcome?

Kwaw

Sophie

kwaw said:
Could be...I didn't read it that way. Ace, is that a LWB or other book meaning or one you came up with yourself at the time? Or one you will now associate with the card because it is appropriate in retrospect to a particular reading?
Yes, it does matter. After all, if a Star card in that position is followed by a whole load of unpleasant cards, I can see how "he is led astray by sexual allure" could be an appropriate interpretation!

kwaw

Fudugazi said:
But I can also see that in a patriarchal society, naked women pouring healing waters are frowned on.

Is it? She is a naked woman pouring water. Why not healing water? The healing water of baptism perhaps? Or is it poison because it appeared in a patriarchal society? Don't get what you mean...

Don't see anything wrong with the concept of emotional honesty or 'outpouring' fermenting attraction... don't know where the judgemental term 'astray' comes in and presume such is indicated by the context of the question and the other cards or personal prejudices of the reader.

Kwaw