3 of Swords as Advice with someone

Reverie

Goodness...

Here is another "resurfacer".

Whenever I ask for advice with someone, I come up with the 3 of swords, or something along those lines. I've had another negative card like such come up for advice with him- the 5 of swords.

Almost always.

What does it mean?

Break it off? Break their heart? Anyone know?

Sulis

Say what needs to be said, even if it's painful.

starrystarrynight

Absolutely what Sulis said. Don't make the mistake of whitewashing anything because it will only come back to haunt you. Tell it like it is and get it out in the open or it will only fester under the surface until it bursts.

Reverie

Hmm... interesting, thank you Sulis and starrystarrynight.

What if this is someone I haven't spoken to in a while and haven't been able to get in touch with?

starrystarrynight

With both the three and five of swords coming up, it sounds like it could be somewhat of a contentious relationship - like when you do communicate, there is always a war of words going on between you? Someone always has to win, even it is at the expense of the feelings of the other?

Maybe, the three of swords is suggesting you change any dynamic like that in your relationship with this person once you re-establish communication...or something like that? Else, you may once again lose contact with him over something that was said.

Just some thoughts...

Seafra

Both cards infer three (three of SW and 3 ppl in the 5). Is there a possibility that people are being pitted against one another? Someone is cutting off their nose to spite their face and will end up alone. How sad.

Blessings - Seafra

Reverie

Seafra said:
Both cards infer three (three of SW and 3 ppl in the 5). Is there a possibility that people are being pitted against one another? Someone is cutting off their nose to spite their face and will end up alone. How sad.

Blessings - Seafra

What does this expression mean-- "someone is cutting off their nose to spite their face"? Sorry, I'm not familiar with it.

Your thoughts here intrigue me-- there is me, the person, and their friend. I know their friend also likes me/has interest in me. Or it could be me, the person, and another woman.

I'd like to hear your clarification, I'm very intrigued! Thanks Saefra!

starrystarrynight said:
With both the three and five of swords coming up, it sounds like it could be somewhat of a contentious relationship - like when you do communicate, there is always a war of words going on between you? Someone always has to win, even it is at the expense of the feelings of the other?

This is true. There is something we don't agree on. But I don't see why this would be something would make the person not want to talk to me anymore.
But this is an interesting thought. Thank you.

Maybe, the three of swords is suggesting you change any dynamic like that in your relationship with this person once you re-establish communication...or something like that? Else, you may once again lose contact with him over something that was said.

Thanks for that too-- this sounds like a good idea. But this is interesting, I'm definitely going to ask some clarifying cards to see what else this could mean.

Also, it seems that whatever I say/said has caused this person to sometimes get defensive.

FaireMaiden

cutiecutie said:
What does this expression mean-- "someone is cutting off their nose to spite their face"?
To seek revenge upon someone else so avidly that you would harm your own self to achieve it... and then blame them for this injury as well...

firelight

I used to dread the sight of the 3 of swords until I read about it's transformative potential in another thread. Given the building theme of the 3's, I now see it as a potential to accept, then transform in order to allow the healing that follows in the 4.

Seafra

Cut off your nose to spite your face meaning to disadvantage yourself in order to do harm to an adversary.

Fron Grose's 1796 edition of the 'Classical Dictionary of the Vulgar Tongue' (isn't that a GREAT title?!): "He cut off his nose to be revenged of his face. Said of one who, to be revenged on his neighbour, has materially injured himself."

In your effort to be vengeful against another you end up hurting yourself.

Blessings - Seafra

Edited to add: There is much wisdom born of pain. I believe that is the story behind the 3 of swords.