8 of wands as sexual attraction?

satine

Have any of you ever gotten the 8 of wands as a sexual attraction? If so, how would you characterize it? I would view the 9 of cups for instance as having more of an emotional element (obviously) but also more sensuality. I know that pentacles can be earthy and sensual, but wands are so full of passion and energy, that I am reminded of the initial spark of interest or attraction to another person (the fruition of the relationship might be better represented by a pents or cups card...). The 8 of Wands in particular seems to me, within a certain context of course, like a rather hot (but fleeting or skin-deep) sexual attraction. What do you think? If this were paired, for example, with the 6 of Pents, then you might infer that there is a hot attraction that is opportunistic (get it when you can)... Just one idea (ha!). I'm sure there are many other interesting combinations. I suppose pretty much any card in the deck could have sexual connotations of some sort (even if it suggests the opposite-- platonic-- as with the H.P.), but some seem to come up more often than others... Thoughts?

:)

gorgeousbutterfly

i've gotten it before and i had , both of us strong sexual passionate desire for each other. but it didn't last. i mean the physical attraction there but the passion burns down quickly.

berrieh

I like 8 of Wands for romance. I consider it one of the most positive cards. To me, the Wands are the spiritual backbone of the Minor Arcana (Cups have always felt more fleeting than Wands to me), and the 8 of Wands speaks to true communication, which is the backbone of relationships to me.

To me, it's that feeling that you just "get" someone instantly, and that they just "get" you back. In my opinion, that can be fleeting or lasting, depending on the circumstances...and if it's fleeting, it's not because you or that person changed, but because the outside circumstances weren't correct. All of the 8s to me are about outside circumstances (the 8 of Swords as real/external interference, the 8 of Cups as real/external need for something that may conflict, the 8 of Coins as real/external learning, and the 8 of Wands as real/external communication).

With the 8 of Wands, the attraction, passion, and potential is there (romantic issues or otherwise), real and strong, and you can either be supported in this or not, and it will matter whether you are supported or hindered---but (and this next part is a "me" thing probably) since it is a Wand card, it will also ultimately be up to who you are, at an essential level, because to me, Fire is Spirit, our true selves.

To me, this is the most beautifully passionate card in the deck, so perfect for sexuality. It has love, communication, sex, joy, and action. It's about something that may not last, but it can last, and, even if it doesn't, it is real and important in the moment. And the moment matters.

To me, the Cups love cards (2 of Cups, 10 of Cups, 9 of Cups) all have a much narrower focus. The 2 of Cups is the best of them to me, as it's about sharing, but it's about sharing feelings and emotions, which are such changeable things. The 8 of Wands, to me, is about sharing who you are at a much deeper level, and that "who you are" doesn't change even if circumstances don't allow the bond to last forever.

Anyway, I've rambled and have no idea if I've created any sense.

starrystarrynight

Oh, yeah, absolutely. Eight of Wands can be a hot, passionate (but short-lived) affair. As soon as those wands hit the ground, though, they crash and burn.

satine

starrystarrynight said:
Oh, yeah, absolutely. Eight of Wands can be a hot, passionate (but short-lived) affair. As soon as those wands hit the ground, though, they crash and burn.

Yes, I think this is how I see it, more so. For me, the energy of the wands can be harnessed and can even be that "flame" at the bottom of a great love affair, and the other suits "fuel the flame," as they say. I agree that the wand energy can either be fleeting or not (wands are passionate, so if a King of Wands is passionate about a PERSON, then that relationship definitely has potential to last), but the 8 of wands in particular seems more fleeting (though still wonderful). It can also be a crash and burn scenario, I think (fall madly in love, can't get enough of each other and then have the whole thing explode in your face, or the person just disappears, or whatever). I love getting different opinions, though! What else?

Tango

It need not burn out. A fiery volcano creates a lot of rock solid earth once the heat has faded away.

berrieh

I thought of something else to add. The Book of Thoth has always influenced my view of the 8 of Wands, precisely these two passages (hopefully, it's okay to quote here):

"In the Eight of Wands, fire is no longer conjoined with the ideas of combustion and destruction. It represents energy in its most exalted and tenuous sense; this suggests such forms thereof as the electric current; one might almost say pure light in the material sense of that word."

"The remaining three cards of the suit belong to Sagittarius, which represents the subtilizing of the Fiery energy; and Mercury rules the card, thus bringing down from Chokmah the message of the original Will. The card also refers to Hod, splendour, in the suit of Fire, whence it refers to the phenomena of speech, light, electricity."

So, I associate this card with light/spirit manifesting in the real world, as communication and potentially romance. This discussion made me re-look these up in my BoT.

I only know enough about astrology to be dangerous, but someone once said that Sagittariuses in particular will only settle down when the time is right---not about the person, all about the timing. I don't know that much about Sagittarius energy in general, but my impression of the sign is that it's changeable, perhaps fickle and fleeting, but only regarding things that aren't well-timed. So, that always made sense. To me, that's the essence of the 8 of Wands. Well timed, it will work out; ill timed, it will be useless. So, it all depends on how true the aim.

Anyway, I've babbled on again, but I have a particular connection with this card -- always have had -- so a lot to say, apparently.

How this relates to sexual attraction---to me, sex = universal life force and not anything shallow or negative. (It can, however, be fleeting.)

starrystarrynight

Tango said:
It need not burn out. A fiery volcano creates a lot of rock solid earth once the heat has faded away.
Yeah, but the hot, fiery part (which is how I see the Eight of Wands in flight) DOES burn out when it hits ground and becomes that rock.

But who wants to sleep with a rock? :D

GoddessArtemis

This is the one night-stand or the "when it sizzles, then it fizzles" type of card: hot, passionate, sexy, oh la la, sexual, wink-wink, nudge-nudge...and then, crash and burn. It's hot, quick, and short-lived.

I've seen it come up for others in readings, too, and it usually leads to a "quickie" situation, a fling, or an affair that doesn't last very long and tends to be superficial and/or based on pure passion, but doesn't go very far. Of course, we're talking single-card reading here...

For sexual attraction, it's that intense "OMG! He/She is HOT!!" feeling, but again, it doesn't last too long once the novelty wears off, unless...there are other cards around to say, "Yeah, this could be something special". ;)

GA

satine

GoddessArtemis said:
This is the one night-stand or the "when it sizzles, then it fizzles" type of card: hot, passionate, sexy, oh la la, sexual, wink-wink, nudge-nudge...and then, crash and burn. It's hot, quick, and short-lived.

I've seen it come up for others in readings, too, and it usually leads to a "quickie" situation, a fling, or an affair that doesn't last very long and tends to be superficial and/or based on pure passion, but doesn't go very far. Of course, we're talking single-card reading here...

For sexual attraction, it's that intense "OMG! He/She is HOT!!" feeling, but again, it doesn't last too long once the novelty wears off, unless...there are other cards around to say, "Yeah, this could be something special". ;)

GA

Definitely-- context is everything. The 8 of Wands leading to the 2 of cups (and surrounded by other such cards) would speak to a relationship that starts out very hot and then settles into a sincere, solid love. The 8 of Wands with the Devil or even as I mentioned before, the 6 of Pents (which is another really interesting card to me for some reason), would speak to something entirely different. I don't sense anything dark about the 8 of wands in and of itself. I mean, it's like raw passion at work; I can't see much wrong with that. ;)