How Does Strength "Work Against" One?

GoddessArtemis

I thought an upright Strength card was a positive, no? How can this card work against you? For some reason, I thought of Strength as ego, but I think that's more The Sun card.

Any thoughts on this?

GA

Thirteen

GoddessArtemis said:
I thought an upright Strength card was a positive, no? How can this card work against you? For some reason, I thought of Strength as ego, but I think that's more The Sun card.
Strength has a lot to do with being civilized and in control of yourself, calm and quietly powerful. In some situations, however, it might be a good thing to show your weaknesses, or your wild side, to not try to be in control or even civilized.

Have you ever been talking to someone about your mistakes and problems and you feel: "How can she understand? She's always so perfect and never makes mistakes!" or even "I bet she thinks I'm terrible. She'd never do anything so wrong!" And then, that person admits to some terrible weakness or mistake and you go, "Oh! She is like me! She does understand! I feel so much better now."

Sometimes you can connect with others only by letting them know that you aren't always strong either. If they feel you're always strong and never give into weaknesses, they'll feel that there's no connection.

Does that make sense?

GoddessArtemis

Thirteen said:
Strength has a lot to do with being civilized and in control of yourself, calm and quietly powerful. In some situations, however, it might be a good thing to show your weaknesses, or your wild side, to not try to be in control or even civilized.

Have you ever been talking to someone about your mistakes and problems and you feel: "How can she understand? She's always so perfect and never makes mistakes!" or even "I bet she thinks I'm terrible. She'd never do anything so wrong!" And then, that person admits to some terrible weakness or mistake and you go, "Oh! She is like me! She does understand! I feel so much better now."

Sometimes you can connect with others only by letting them know that you aren't always strong either. If they feel you're always strong and never give into weaknesses, they'll feel that there's no connection.

Does that make sense?
Well, kinda. Let me rephrase to see if I get it. Do you mean sometimes being too strong (Strength) and holding it all together can actually be a bad thing? I get the scenario you're portraying, but I think showing your weakness would be Strength reversed? So if upright Strength is working against you...could that then mean you're being controlled?

Did that make sense? :)

GA

Tansey Ella

I sounds like thirteen is saying it may mean you are too /or appear too controlled and appear so strong that it may make you unapproachable by others.

caridwen

I can't see how Strength can ever work against you.

I see the more controlling aspects in the Chariot.

Maybe if you put the reading in the Readings forum with a scan of the card, it will become more obvious?:)

Crescent

Tansey said:
I sounds like thirteen is saying it may mean you are too /or appear too controlled and appear so strong that it may make you unapproachable by others.

This is exactly the way I see it.. When one is too strong, it becomes a detriment to the self, for others will see the person as cold, and even detached, let alone unapproachable. Strength is not always a good thing.

vee

Perhaps it could indicate that are you trying to be too much of a "strong woman/man"? Being in control of yourself and your destiny and taking care of others is a great thing, but sometimes you just have to let it all out and admit that you are not infallible. I know sometimes I have a tendency to not want to seek help from others or let people know that I'm suffering. I've always had to be the "strong one" who isn't falling apart. But sometimes you just have to or you'll go crazy! I know if I saw Strength in a spread as a position of weakness,I would automatically think of that.

starrystarrynight

As Strength upright can sometimes refer to reining in your libido and keeping it under control, maybe the downside of that is "Use It or Lose It."

Just a thought...:)

GoddessArtemis

vee said:
But sometimes you just have to or you'll go crazy! I know if I saw Strength in a spread as a position of weakness,I would automatically think of that.
How do you do that....just fall apart? :)

GA

Thirteen

Tansey said:
Yes, that's it. But I like what Vee is saying, too. That sounds right also.

GA: yes, showing your weakness would be Strength reversed, but you didn't get Strength reversed as "advice" right? That is, advice to be weak. You got Strength upright as "working against you." In what way it's working against you I don't know. But this would imply to me that you need to be less strong, or less in control, as being strong and in control of yourself is working against you.

Oh, and while I understand why some folks would see "too much strength" as the chariot, I would say that the chariot would imply that you were trying to achieve a goal, and that being too focused on that goal, too controlling of things (in general, not necessarily yourself) you were working against achieving that goal. This simply says that you aren't showing any weaknesses or vulnerabilities--not asking for help (?) and this is working against you.