Been Naughty - Feng Shui Tarot

Kahlie

punchinella said:
Well, I'm glad that one of us "gets it" . . . best of luck to you Kahlie as you start to work with the deck. I'm thinking of throwing the idea of tarot suits out altogether and just looking at the cards intuitively.

Actually, it's sort of encouraging to hear a perspective in which the deck as designed could work . . . flames as emotion, yes, I can certainly see that clearly enough :)

If you want to we can try to study it together? Or are you really off it altogether? I did a Reading yesterday and I could post it in the Your Readings Section for people to comment on and see how much people we can raise to work with this deck?

Kahlie

punchinella

That sounds interesting Kahlie, although I'm leaving tomorrow for a week-long backpacking trip . . . have you posted the reading yet?

Kahlie

I did it now and you can find it here:

Feng Shui Reading

I didn't comment on all of it, but will do so later.

Kahlie

Bat Chicken

This discussion has sparked my interest in this deck again. I keep bouncing back and forth... maybe I should ask for it for Christmas.....!

Little Baron

I would research into it a lot before purchasing. I obviously started this thread, but found the deck to be quite a disappointment. I am sure that it is good for some, but I wanted a deck where I didn't have to swap about correspondances etc. I also got bored by the 'storylike' minors. I traded mine away, and I think the receiver did so as well after a very short time.

LB

Bat Chicken

Thanks for the advice, LB. I will research some more.... :)

Little Baron

Bat Chicken said:
Thanks for the advice, LB. I will research some more.... :)

Is there anywhere that you can see the whole deck, also. I think that if I had seen the lot, I might have not purchased. The majors looked great [well, most of them] but the minors were not quite so wonderful. The 'firebird' looks a little cartoony in some places and a lot of the others are very similar.

LB

Dark Victory '39

a revival

I'm reviving this thread, having picked up the feng shui tarot at a garage sale recently. anyone use theirs? I'm charmed by the animal suits, however the red phoenix as the cups suit is really hard for me to get used to. Oddly, i'm fine w/ the tortoise in winter scenes as being wands, and i love the white tigers as swords. I read through the thread and even if i get the red phoenix as a rebirth of swirling emotions, i just have a hard time every time i see it, being like, that's a cup, DV, a cup. There's not a lick of water anywhere in those scenes. You're in the desert.

Anyone who does occasionally use the deck, did you end up doing the companion book, and if so was it worth it? Anyone try to change the suits around for their own use? Problem is i don't know what i would switch it w/, as i really like the tortoise as a wand.

Other early impressions-- i love the non-traditional minimalist take on the minors. Not many nods to RWS, except ironically the 5 cups where the phoenix knocks over an urn. Every time i see that, i'm like, oh, you're a cup.

Glass Owl

I'm reviving this thread, having picked up the feng shui tarot at a garage sale recently. anyone use theirs? I'm charmed by the animal suits, however the red phoenix as the cups suit is really hard for me to get used to. Oddly, i'm fine w/ the tortoise in winter scenes as being wands, and i love the white tigers as swords. I read through the thread and even if i get the red phoenix as a rebirth of swirling emotions, i just have a hard time every time i see it, being like, that's a cup, DV, a cup. There's not a lick of water anywhere in those scenes. You're in the desert.

Anyone who does occasionally use the deck, did you end up doing the companion book, and if so was it worth it? Anyone try to change the suits around for their own use?

I do! I couldn't use the deck otherwise. You may find the 2010 the Feng Shui deck thread a helpful read, as there are a lot of us who shated similar struggles. In this post, I talk about the Four Heraldic Animals/Four Heavenly Kings, along with the systems within the body in Chinese medicine that are associated with the Chinese elements. Given my research, I decided the only way I personally could use the Feng Shui Tarot is to use it differently than how the Connollys assigned the suits.

White Tiger / West / Autumn / Metal
Mo-Li Ch'ing. White face and carries a sword.
Metal: Respiratory system, lungs,and large intestine
Because of this, I view: White Tiger/Metal - Swords

Black Tortoise / North / Winter / Water
No-Li-Shou is the black faced warrior and carries a snake.
Water: Skeletal, urinary, bladder, and kidneys
Because of this, I view: Black Tortoise/Water - Cups (rather than Wands)

Red Phoenix / South / Summer / Fire
Mo-Li Hung. Red face, holds an umbrella.
Fire: Circulatory system, heart, and small intestine
Because of this, I view: Red Phoenix/Fire - Wands (rather than Cups)

Azure (Green) Dragon / East / Spring / Wood
Mo-Li Hai. He has a blue face and carries a guitar.
Wood: Liver and gall bladder
Because of this, I view: Green Dragon/Wood - Pentacles

Yellow (Golden) Dragon / Earth governs all seasonal changes and is central
Earth: Digestive system, spleen, and stomach
Because of this, I view: Yellow Dragon/Earth - Major Arcana