4 pentacles for their feelings for you?

Alta

The thoughts above have come up in readings, but also the combination of stability (the 4) and earthiness/groundedness (the suit) make me think that:
1. they want to take you into their world, &,
2. they want to shelter you.

Alta

velvet

I see this as being sheltered, they're comfortable where they're and they don't have any intentions for their feelings to get out. I also see it as they're more worried about other things.

GoddessArtemis

I haven't read the other posts, so my apologies if I repeat something here. I've seen this card in the "feelings" position to mean several things:

1. The person is possessive of the other; doesn't want to share them with anyone else
2. The person wants to control the other (control coming from the number 4 of the Emperor in majors)
3. The person doesn't want to share of themselves/their feelings/their material stuff
4. The person is emotionally "closed" off

All of the above amount to one thing, in my book: selfish feelings.

Hope that helps. :)

GA

Debra Jean

Could it also be that he feels she is his sense of security and holding on tightly to her (holding onto what he has) as he doesn't want to loose her. He want to keep her close to him. In the RWS he is cluching a penticle close to his heart, because it is important to him.

Althouh as other's have said could be a tad possessive as well (there seems to be a duel message in this card) but I also find that things that we possess in our lives does give us a sense of stability and security and when those things are taken away our world becomes shakey. I think the majority of us do tend to cling to what we have and don't want to lose what we have worked so hard to gain in our lives. I don't know, I call my husband, MY husband. I guess I can be a tad possessive of him too. I get this card often for my husband. He is very careful about money (tad frugal), but he is in no way stingy with his love or affection.

On the positive side of this card, maybe as well, he could feel content, happy and comfortable with her in his life. As Alta said bring her into his world, shelter her. Does the 4/p usually have a negative connotation to it as in GoddessArtemis post? This thread has really given me food for thought about this card. I can see all of the posts as possibly appying, so which one is it? Would it depend on the surrounding cards, or do you pick one from your intuition? - rwcarter "The correct interpretation, of course, is the one that's right at the time for the question you're answering...." but how do you know it's right? gut feeling? You could really screw up a person giving the wrong interpretation as in is he feels she is his possession or does he feel she is an important part of his life?

(still a novice BTW)

dj

GoddessArtemis

Debra Jean said:
I can see all of the posts as possibly appying, so which one is it? Would it depend on the surrounding cards, or do you pick one from your intuition? - rwcarter "The correct interpretation, of course, is the one that's right at the time for the question you're answering...." but how do you know it's right? gut feeling? You could really screw up a person giving the wrong interpretation as in is he feels she is his possession or does he feel she is an important part of his life?

(still a novice BTW)

dj
Definitely the surrounding cards will fine-tune the interpretation of any card. In a case where your intuition isn't coming through loud/clear, you can always ask the deck something like, "So which aspect of the 4 of Pentacles shall I take this as: possessive or comfortable?" and see what comes up. I believe your intuition will guide you from there on. And if you want it even simpler, you can pull two cards to clarify...1) Is this this the possessive aspect? and, 2) Is this the negative aspect of the 4 of Pentacles. That should make it more clear to you. In time, of course, you'll develop your own style and your intuition will become more heightened...just keep practicing and reading. :)

GA

Debra Jean

GoddessArtemis said:
Definitely the surrounding cards will fine-tune the interpretation of any card. In a case where your intuition isn't coming through loud/clear, you can always ask the deck something like, "So which aspect of the 4 of Pentacles shall I take this as: possessive or comfortable?" and see what comes up. I believe your intuition will guide you from there on. And if you want it even simpler, you can pull two cards to clarify...1) Is this this the possessive aspect? and, 2) Is this the negative aspect of the 4 of Pentacles. That should make it more clear to you. In time, of course, you'll develop your own style and your intuition will become more heightened...just keep practicing and reading. :)

GA

Thank you for answering me. Sometimes I get so many different scenarios on what the card(s) could possibly mean that I get frustrated, it could be this or that and can't determine which meaning should apply because they all could fit both in positive or negative ways. So your idea of asking another question about the card and pulling another card in answer to the new question may just do the trick. It seems the more I've leaned about the cards and various aspects that can be applied, I am finding myself very stiffled lately in being able to read.

But ever since this thread was posted I have been pondering the meaning of the 4 of pentacles and a good majority of readers lean more toward the negative selfish, possessive, not wanting to share aspect. I also thought to myself "would I want to get this card for how my husband feels about me?" and my first gut reaction was NO. Now I would go with the answer you previously posted (plus the relation with the 4 and Emperor). I would have to say that this is not one of the most loving cards in the deck.

dj

nisaba

As a human, I always find Four Pentacles relationships suffocating. There's such inclusiveness, they want to know where you are every moment of the day, they want to be included in (or make) *all* your decisions, they're big on togetherness and have no idea of the need for privacy within a couple, and if you choose to spend time with friends or with workmates, they become jealous of that time, seeing it as eroding the relationship rather than freshening you up.

At its most negative, a Four Pentacles can go way beyond this, into the realms of the kind of emotional abuse that separates the victim from their family and friends, but even when it's nowhere near this extreme, it's an uncomfortable way of relating between people because of the ownership thing (I loathe and detest being owned, ergo I don't wear rings and don't change my surname for *anyone*).

balenciaga

GoddessArtemis said:
3. The person doesn't want to share of themselves/their feelings/their material stuff
4. The person is emotionally "closed" off

All of the above amount to one thing, in my book: selfish feelings.

I would agree with these interps.

Jai1216

I just had this to come up in a reading and it meant that the guy could only let his love interest into his life only so far. He was shutting down. Plus, it was next to the Hermit, which clarified which way to take the 4P.