Is death always about endings??

Ace

I don't think anyone thinks that, do they? I wouldn't expect the cards to predict death. There's so much going on that can be the difference between life and death, it's like expecting them to predict the flight of a butterfly at the other end of the world.

But endings generally, more so.

Yes, I did have a case (once in 30 years of reading) that the Death Card MEANT Death. It was talking about a person who had died. His son was asking me about it since his father had died in a motorcycle accident and then a Shaman had suggested that he was dead before he hit the truck that killed him. I pulled one card. That one. I concentrated on it and realized that he may have had a stroke and yes, he was dead before he hit the truck. But as I said then, you can't tell a stroke from massive head injuries.

I think the real point is that the cards don't EVER have JUST one meaning and ALWAYS the same meaning. The cards means what they are at the time you read them. And the next time it may be different. If you insist that a card ALWAYS means the same thing, you miss a lot of the message the cards are giving you.

And I don't believe the cards PREDICT anything. The future is fluid until it becomes the past. So you can change things and as you get closer to it, make it better. So the Death card doesn't PREDICT Death, but it may MEAN Death all the same. Or it may not.

Barb

euripides

Yes, I did have a case (once in 30 years of reading) that the Death Card MEANT Death. ...
I think the real point is that the cards don't EVER have JUST one meaning and ALWAYS the same meaning. ....
And I don't believe the cards PREDICT anything. The future is fluid until it becomes the past.

Barb

Well yes, of course it *can* but the rarity of your experience suggests that it's not the most common occurrence. I was just surprised by some of the previous posts implying that it was indeed the primary reading of the card.

And even the simplest LWB gives more than one reading, and a full understanding of a card offers a multitude of possibilities.

I agree wholeheartedly about the fluidity of the future.

Ace

Well yes, of course it *can* but the rarity of your experience suggests that it's not the most common occurrence. I was just surprised by some of the previous posts implying that it was indeed the primary reading of the card.

And even the simplest LWB gives more than one reading, and a full understanding of a card offers a multitude of possibilities.

I agree wholeheartedly about the fluidity of the future.

I do agree that it is rare. And for it to BE about A DEATH THAT Occured, it had to be IN THE PAST. The person was dead, the question was "was he dead when he hit the truck." So the Death card was a big YES.

What is bothering me here is not really about the Death card, it is about the meaning of the cards--THERE IS NO ONE MEANING (or group of meanings) for each card. They may mean something very new when you pull one, which means you are really getting info via the 3rd eye from the Universe. The BEST meaning are ones that are NEW to you for that card. Insisting on it ALWAYS meaning the same thing and you block information from the Universe that could be very insightful for the reading you are doing.

IMHO.
barb

Prilica

Well after years of seeing this card over and over again regarding a relationship.... I'd say the relationship, as it was before, is dead.
That doesn't mean the love died. But the relationship and both of us changed in a way that can't be reverted at all. So yes, death is really an ending of some kind, but in my case it wasn't a total death.
We keep in touch at a distance very frequently, even with the same feelings, but death card always keeps remaining me how it changed, died in a way because that relationship just cannot be, we can be together.. Let's say one day every year... or every 5 years.. (until now) but it's always dying for our circumstances, not just changing. It dies.. And at the same time, it's alive not in the way it was once, but still alive.

This card also appears when a major change will change your circumstances, like moving to another contry getting married etc.
So yes it does bring transformations, and real endings.

Sulis

Thankyou Sulis for taking the time out to respond on both Spread, it means a lot.

I hadn't thought of that before, the cards showing the death of what went before that it is. It's intriguing.

I'll comment back to you in a second. :)

Well the cards in a reading tell a story and in a past, present, future spread like the one you used, each card follows on from the next. This is why it's very difficult to take a card out of a reading and ask what it means.. It's meaning depends on the other cards - that's tarot.