When do you charge for a reading???

SuperBall

Disclaimer: Just because I used the Search function first, does not mean that I have an amazingly accurate knack for using forum search functions!

Seriously, folks, I looked first, but couldn't find a thread, so I ask:

When did you/do you feel its right to start charging people for a reading? I'm not talking about a side business with a storefront and a crystal ball, or anything. I have always taken it on principle that I DO NOT charge for readings. I have reasons.

--I'm not amazing at it yet (i.e. a level of professionalism that I feel merits a gratuity). I still have to look at a book for meanings, etc.

--I feel like I approach people, who then do me a favor by allowing me to practice and hone the skill with their assistance.

--Did I mention that I still need my book???

Normally these reasons would answer this question for me. On the other hand, all of my regulars are satisfied, and regularly approach me with questions like, 'when is it my turn again?' Many have expressed to me that I can really Read the cards with uncanny intuition, and other compliments and nonsense. Lately, I have been toying with the idea of charging my satisfied regulars only, $1 for a reading. "Ludicrous!" You may say, either to yourself, or digitally after I post this. "Why?" I have a very pure reason. I would occassionally like to furnish a deck for a hopeful or two, as its my belief that powerful and accurate Tarot begin as gifts from others (outmoded and backward, I'm sure. Ask me about my reasons sometime). I'm on a very tight allowance, due to a low military pay grade, and a wife (just kidding, glass houses, now...). I figured, do a few months worth of readings, and have a spare deck handy for when I run into that girl that 'has always wanted to learn'.

What does this community think? Am I ready to charge a ridiculously low fee to people I am comfortable with, just because I want to do nice things for others, even if I don't have every card memorized (though more than a few)? Or should I wait until I am even spookier and more credible because I do not need to consult a book?

Grizabella

I don't believe a person is ready to charge for readings till they don't use the book anymore. Would you go to the dentist if he was still looking in dental school books? Or to a doctor if he was still relying heavily on books? (I went to a doctor like that once and I don't recommend it. He nearly killed me.) We're not doctors or dentists, but we do have the fate of other people in our hands and we can't take it lightly.

Or should I wait until I am even spookier and more credible because I do not need to consult a book?

I'm concerned by this statement. Are you trying to spook people by reading Tarot? If so, then I don't think you're ready just by that statement alone. Tarot isn't like that. It's a way of helping people, which you say you want to do, and if you want to help them, then "spooky" hasn't got a place there at all. If your aim is to be spooky and scare or impress people with your spookiness, I think you should put Tarot aside and find something else to do it with.

Although this sounds harsh, I'm not intending it to come across that way. :) But I'm being honest in what I'm telling you.

Alpha-Omega

You can charge when you feel confident in your reading skills. When is your time and skill worth something in return. If your skill stuck to a book I would not charge. When you can ween yourself off of books then I think it would be better, but that does not mean you can never use books in ur reading.

NightQueen

Perhaps you could start with donations, I think until you are very confident with your cards and your interpretations you shouldn't be charging if you are still using your book, then you still need to study your deck, perhaps if you wrote little notes that give you the meaning of the cards you get stuck on to help you through your readings. Regardless my heritage comes from Europe in our tradition it is known you leave something on the table if there is no set price. Have a pretty dontation Jar on your table so your querents can leave something for you

NQ

Alpha-Omega

Grizabella said:
I don't believe a person is ready to charge for readings till they don't use the book anymore. Would you go to the dentist if he was still looking in dental school books? Or to a doctor if he was still relying heavily on books? (I went to a doctor like that once and I don't recommend it. He nearly killed me.) We're not doctors or dentists, but we do have the fate of other people in our hands and we can't take it lightly.

I'm concerned by this statement. Are you trying to spook people by reading Tarot? If so, then I don't think you're ready just by that statement alone. Tarot isn't like that. It's a way of helping people, which you say you want to do, and if you want to help them, then "spooky" hasn't got a place there at all. If your aim is to be spooky and scare or impress people with your spookiness, I think you should put Tarot aside and find something else to do it with.

Although this sounds harsh, I'm not intending it to come across that way. :) But I'm being honest in what I'm telling you.

Oh yea I agree

The crowned one

I work with many doctors and the best of them, no all of them still use books, medicines/ healing/ procedures and protocols change very fast....as do cars and the diagnostic work of a good tech :) I feel the same way about most everything, life long learning, this includes tarot. Not "tarot books" necessarily, those are for beginners mostly. Rather books on art, religion, belief, philosophers, gardening, science, math and what ever else grabs you and you think may relate to tarot.

If you need your book during a basic reading, I feel it is too soon to charge, but that is me. I have looked up card combinations after a reading, or studied a reading after it was complete if it did not feel "good" but I do not open a book during a paid reading.

Based on your post I feel it is too soon for you to charge.

I did not charge my first readers, they volunteered payment. That was when I knew I was ready to charge in the mind of others.( I still thought it was amazing to pay me for it ;) )

Debra

Around here, they call it a "love offering."

TherionHowl

You can charge for a reading any time you want to. If you can't deliver a quality reading, however, be prepared for some very upset clients who want their money back.

And by "spooky" something tells me you mean "eccentric" or any other stereotypical quality associated with tarot readers, psychics, mediums, etc. You don't have to be some bent over hag who keeps bull urine in a vial around her neck because she's a Taurus to be respected as a tarot reader.

Grizabella

Of course doctors consult books but they shouldn't be doing it for the most basic knowledge, I think we can agree. The one I referred to looked up things that he should have known before graduating medical school.

afrosaxon

Hi SuperBall,

you probably couldn't find an appropriate thread(s) about when to charge for readings because a lot of such threads are in the Professional Tarot section, which is only available to paid subscribers.

If you're still needing to look up book meanings, it may be too soon for you to charge money for readings. I'd advise you to practice some more, reading for others, before you think about money.

When I was first starting out, I also used to barter (a reading in exchange for something else) as a means of compensation. Donations/"love offerings" work too.

Just my $.02. Good luck.

T.