The Moon

Satori

Great info lucifall. I loved reading that post, and I learned a lot from it.

For me, I have had a hard time with always giving the Moon the bad rap, saying it is all about lunacy or insanity. I think that we can teeter there, but the moment between the day and sunset...that moment before we lose the light and plunge into mystery, is very magical. There is a transition occurring. We move from the known and the seen into the unseen and the potentially unknown.

However, as I teach my kids, the same things that we were able to see during the daylight hours, are still there cloaked in moonlight and shadow. At night it is a little bit harder to be brave, to withstand the fears that plague our minds. Somehow we as humans weaken without the light to keep us safe.

The night does hold a gift for us. It is during the night, and during the moonlit hours, that we lay down and rest, and allow ourselves time to replenish. We sleep. We journey deeper into the darkness, because we close our eyes, and suddenly we are even more alone. All the world outside our eyes suddenly vanishes....and we are encased within our own minds, with only our own thoughts, no external visual stimuli to intefere with our getting acquainted with our selves.

And of course, we dream. I imagine dreams were a little frightening to our ancestors. The subconscious owns our dreams, and so owns the night, the darkness, the void. But now we know that we are not completely at the mercy of the subconscious mind when dreaming. Consider Lucid dreaming for a moment. We can have some control of the dreamtime....but not completely.

Now we know that the dreamtime is necessary for our sanity. That in order to stay sane, we not only need sleep, we need to dream. So the flights of fancy, the stretching of our reality, the moments when the dreaming mind shakes free of the ego and of the conscious mind are truly the times when we rescue our very essence from insanity. We order the chaos of the mind and experiment with the fantastic when we sleep and dream.

So to me, the Moon card is a sort of celebration of the very private time that awaits me when I sleep. It reminds me that this little death is rich with image and creativity, the very fulcrum upon which my sanity and creative mind find healing and replenishment with in. It is the sanctum of the Spirit.

GothCrone

Satori, what a great perspective!!

I am going to show your post to my daughter. She's been telling me for a while now (she's 17) that she's scared of the dark...I've suggested she use a nightlight in her room or in the hallway, but she said that makes it worse because of the shadows and then her imagination runs wild. I think what you wrote might really help her...her fears seem to be "different" than the little kid who is afraid of the dark (at least she says that they are) -- and I think this different perspective you so clearly wrote here will really "click" with her.

Thank you!

.traveller.

I was reading the PKT and came across a reference to the Moon waxing on the side of Mercy. I loved the sound of that and while I could come up my own ideas about what that could mean, I wonder what it was that Waite was alluding to. Is it a reference to the Tree of Life?

The direct quote is "the moon is increasing on what is called the side of mercy".

kwaw

.traveller. said:
I was reading the PKT and came across a reference to the Moon waxing on the side of Mercy. I loved the sound of that and while I could come up my own ideas about what that could mean, I wonder what it was that Waite was alluding to. Is it a reference to the Tree of Life?

The direct quote is "the moon is increasing on what is called the side of mercy".

Yes, the Moon is said to wax 'on the side of mercy' (the right pillar of the ToL) and to wane 'on the side of severity' (the left pillar of the ToL).

Quote:

6. Vaera : 28. Rosh Hashanah and Yom Hakippurim verse 384.
Come and behold. It is written: "Blow the Shofar at the new moon, at the time appointed (lit. 'when the moon is covered') on our solemn feast day," (Tehilim 81:4) when the moon, WHICH IS MALCHUT, is covered, because at that time, AS A RESULT OF THE ILLUMINATION OF THE LEFT, that evil Serpent prevails and may bring harm to the world. But when Mercy is aroused BY BLOWING THE SHOFAR, the moon rises and moves away FROM THE ILLUMINATION OF THE LEFT.

End quote from the Zohar online:

https://www.kabbalah.com/k/index.php/p=zohar/zohar

.traveller.

Beautiful! Thank you Kwaw :)

Satori

Wow, that Zohar experience is cool. I just read the Lily, and part of the next page and then went and read the site!

Looks like I might be getting closer to the light! :)

ridercheung

moon is the 18

RIDER = R(18)+I(9)+D(4)+E(5)+R(18)
RIDER = 18 +(9+4+5)+18
RIDER is moon, three(free) moon on the sky.

my name is rider,
i love moon because it is cool , and no one know
what my mind behind. no one know my real but i
can see all the thing on the sky

under the moon, there has some animal, only dog are royal to me
other are not part of family or even friend.

so I love moon.