An Astrological Quintessence by Decan

Barleywine

Since we've been discussing the quintessence card, I thought I would throw another twist on it. I had previously translated my astrological Ascendant-Sun-Moon personality signature into decan cards; I thought I would go the rest of the way and convert the other five traditional planetary positions into cards, and then do a quintessence on the lot to see what my "astrological archetype" might be among the Major Arcana. Here it is:

Ascendant = 7 of Cups (Venus-ruled)
Sun = 2 of Cups (Venus-ruled)
Moon = 2 of Pentacles (Jupiter-ruled)
Mercury = 2 of Cups (Venus-ruled)
Venus = 2 of Cups (Venus-ruled)
Mars = 9 of Pentacles (Venus-ruled)
Jupiter = 10 of Wands (Saturn-ruled)
Saturn = 6 of Wands (Jupiter-ruled)

Quintessence = 40 = 4, the Emperor

If I include the Midheaven position (also 9 of Pentacles and Venus-ruled), the total comes to 49, reducing to 13, Death, which is the Major Arcanum directly associated with my Scorpio Ascendant. The Emperor and Death are numerological counterparts, since 13 reduces to 4.

It's interesting that five of the eight decan cards (6 of 9 if I include the MC) are ruled by Venus and two by Jupiter, the Lesser and Greater Benefics in astrology. The one outlier is the Jupiter position, the 10 of Wands ruled by Saturn, which seems to provide a kind of stabilizing "anchor," while the Saturn position, 6 of Wands, is ruled by Jupiter - together they reinforce the Jupiter-Saturn trine in my chart.

I've already factored the Sun, Moon and Ascendant decan cards into my daily-draw spread, and will be looking at how I might use the others. Maybe they will work as significators for different subject areas.

rwcarter

What system of tarot associations are you using? I can't reconcile the GD associations with your list.

Rodney

Barleywine

I'm using the Thoth pips table Richard created, but it also agrees with my Liber T text. The planet locations I'm showing are the horoscopic placements, and I've associated them with the cards that occupy the same decans. It's the same idea Corrine Kenner uses for the Sun, but I expanded it to all the planets long before I read her book.

Ascendant is in the 3rd decan of Scorpio (7 of Cups/Venus in Scorpio)
Sun is in the 1st decan of Cancer (2 of Cups/Venus in Cancer)
Moon is in the 1st decan of Capricorn (2 of Pentacles/Jupiter in Capricorn)
Mercury is in the 1st decan of Cancer (2 of Cups/Venus in Cancer)
Venus is in the 1st decan of Cancer (2 of Cups/Venus in Cancer)
Mars is in the 2nd decan of Virgo (9 of Pentacles/Venus in Virgo)
Jupiter is in the 3rd decan of Sagittarius (10 of Wands/Saturn in Sagittarius)
Saturn is in the 2nd decan of Leo (6 of Wands/Jupiter in Leo)
Midheaven is in the 2nd decan of Virgo (9 of Pentacles/Venus in Virgo)

This is what it looks like done up in cards, using the Whole Sign house system:

Attachments

• Astro-Tarot Birthchart Layout.jpg
    Astro-Tarot Birthchart Layout.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 484

rwcarter

Ahh! I was trying to correlate the planets, not the signs! That makes more sense now!

rwcarter

I finally got around to doing this for myself.

Ascendant = 1st decan of Cancer -> 2 Cups
Sun = 3rd decan of Taurus -> 7 Pentacles
Moon = 3rd decan of Virgo -> 10 Pentacles
Mercury = 1st decan of Taurus -> 5 Pentacles
Venus = 1st decan of Cancer -> 2 Cups
Mars = 1st decan of Taurus -> 5 Pentacles
Jupiter = 1st decan of Taurus -> 5 Pentacles
Saturn = 1st decan of Pisces -> 8 Cups
Uranus = 1st decan of Virgo -> 8 Pentacles
Neptune = 2nd decan of Scorpio -> 7 Cups
Pluto = 2nd decan of Virgo -> 9 Pentacles
Midheaven = 1st decan of Pisces -> 8 Cups
North Node = 1st decan of Cancer -> 2 Cups

I see you didn't include Uranus, Neptune or Pluto. Is there a reason? I started this process myself a couple of years ago, but never completed it. So I don't remember if my birthchart data is from Llewellyn or from The Instant Astrology by Liz Birkbeck. It also included the North Node, which is why I've included it.

Adding up all my numbers I get 2+7+10+5+2+5+5+8+8+7+2+8+2 = 71 -> 7+1 = 8 or Strength, which makes sense to me.

The 5P and 2C each appear 3 times, which makes sense to me as overarching life lessons about relationships and learning to stop focusing on what's lost and instead focus on what remains.

Rodney

LilyLavender

Ohh interesting.

Ascendant - 2nd decan Gemini - 9 swords
Pluto - 1st decan Scorpio - 5 cups
Sun - 2nd decan Scorpio - 6 cups
Saturn - 2nd decan Scorpio - 6 cups
Mercury - 3rd decan Scorpio - 7 cups
Uranus - 2nd decan Sag - 9 wands
Venus - 2nd decan Sag - 9 wands
Neptune - 3rd decan Sag - 10 wands
Jupiter - 1st decan Cap - 2 pent
Mars - 3rd decan Cap - 4 pent
Midheaven - 3rd decan Aquarius - 7 swords
Moon - 1st decan Aries - 2 wands

Quint = 13 = Death, which makes sense, being so heavily Scorpio. Saturn conjunct Sun makes me deadly serious a bit.. most of these cards are somewhat heavy, and actually seem to describe my placements/personality. Very interesting exercise.

Barleywine

I finally got around to doing this for myself.

Ascendant = 1st decan of Cancer -> 2 Cups
Sun = 3rd decan of Taurus -> 7 Pentacles
Moon = 3rd decan of Virgo -> 10 Pentacles
Mercury = 1st decan of Taurus -> 5 Pentacles
Venus = 1st decan of Cancer -> 2 Cups
Mars = 1st decan of Taurus -> 5 Pentacles
Jupiter = 1st decan of Taurus -> 5 Pentacles
Saturn = 1st decan of Pisces -> 8 Cups
Uranus = 1st decan of Virgo -> 8 Pentacles
Neptune = 2nd decan of Scorpio -> 7 Cups
Pluto = 2nd decan of Virgo -> 9 Pentacles
Midheaven = 1st decan of Pisces -> 8 Cups
North Node = 1st decan of Cancer -> 2 Cups

I see you didn't include Uranus, Neptune or Pluto. Is there a reason? I started this process myself a couple of years ago, but never completed it. So I don't remember if my birthchart data is from Llewellyn or from The Instant Astrology by Liz Birkbeck. It also included the North Node, which is why I've included it.

Adding up all my numbers I get 2+7+10+5+2+5+5+8+8+7+2+8+2 = 71 -> 7+1 = 8 or Strength, which makes sense to me.

The 5P and 2C each appear 3 times, which makes sense to me as overarching life lessons about relationships and learning to stop focusing on what's lost and instead focus on what remains.

Rodney

Sorry for the delay in responding. I don't use the so-called modern planets because the Chaldean decans don't incorporate them. But the layout photo I included with the original post (which wasn't done with this approach in mind) did include them, although it's hard to see; it took me four decks to capture everything in that.

rwcarter

Sorry for the delay in responding. I don't use the so-called modern planets because the Chaldean decans don't incorporate them. But the layout photo I included with the original post (which wasn't done with this approach in mind) did include them, although it's hard to see; it took me four decks to capture everything in that.
I have heard of Chaldean Astrology. Gotcha.

Gaston D.

I've been wanting to do this for my own natal chart for a while! Thanks for giving me the opportunity to do so.

ASCENDANT: 3 decan Libra = 4 of Swords
SUN: 3 decan Libra = 4 of Swords
MOON: 2 decan Gemini = 9 of Swords
MERCURY: 2 decan Scorpio = 6 of Cups
VENUS: 2 decan Virgo = 9 of Pentacles
MARS: 3 decan Sagittarius = 10 of Wands
JUPITER: 1 decan Virgo = 8 of Pentacles
SATURN: 1 decan Aries = 2 of Wands
MIDHEAVEN: 3 dec Cancer = 4 of Cups

Adding these up including the Midheaven gives me a total of 11 (Justice) - which is, of course, the Major Arcana card most closely associated with Libra. So it pleases this double Libra to include the Midheaven in the quintessence calculation. (Leaving it out gives me a total of 52, which reduces to 7, the Chariot ... which isn't as satisfying to me as Justice is.)