Alchemical Study Group - King of Swords

Leisa

A crowned, royal eagle proudly holds his upraised sword as he stands on the air. He is the master of the intellect.

Tarot wisdom: You have a deep-seated inner confidence. This is true inner strength that does not have to be displayed. Your communication is clear and decisive; you are not afraid to speak your mind. You are capable of choosing whether or not to respond to the prompts of others, and to separate false preconceptions from fact.

JimmyJonesah

This bird's got Pomp.

sapienza

I'm planning to write a bit more for this card when I get a chance, but for now I just wanted to say.....did anyone else notice that it's the same bird as the one on the Emperor's shoulder? How wonderful :) Place links the Emperor to air so this makes quite a lot of sense. Will be back with more hopefully soon.

JimmyJonesah

Leisa said:
Tarot wisdom: You have a deep-seated inner confidence. This is true inner strength that does not have to be displayed.

I noticed after writing my last statement about the Eagle having pomp, that Robert Place actually says exactly the opposite in his book. Nonetheless, he does look rather splendid and stately with his puffed out chest and crown of glory, flying high above the comings and goings of the world. This card speaks to me of the Eagle's keen, Discriminating Eye (Mind) and capacity to stand objectively apart from immediate experience, while seeing the Wider Horizon/Bigger Picture.

sapienza

This eagle truly looks to be master of the intellect. He is perfectly balanced and holds the sword upright with his foot. He seems to have such great strength. I see that his beak is the same colour as the swords, perhaps indicating he is able to speak his mind as he is in control of his thoughts. I really like the connection to the Emperor card as well, which I mentioned in my first post.

I see this card as possibly repesenting clarity of thought, decisiveness, confidence to express your views, and successful intellectual pursuits.

JimmyJonesah

sapienza said:
.....did anyone else notice that it's the same bird as the one on the Emperor's shoulder? How wonderful :) Place links the Emperor to air so this makes quite a lot of sense.

Wow, thanks for pointing that out Sapienza. That opens up a whole new range of meanings for me in regard to this Emperor. Initially I wasn't sure what to make of the image (while wondering where the Fire had gone) but the more I gaze at it, the more I see Logic/Linear Mind/Left Brain and how all of that ties in with psycholgical themes related to Executive Function or what is also called cognitive control, which would be very much related to the element Air.

FROM WIKIPEDIA
Executive functions is a term synonymous with cognitive control, and used by psychologists and other neuroscientists to describe a loosely defined collection of brain processes whose role is to guide thought and behaviour in accordance with internally generated goals or plans. Often, the executive functions are invoked when it is necessary to override responses that may otherwise be automatically elicited by stimuli in the external environment. For example, on being presented with a potentially rewarding stimulus, such as a tasty piece of chocolate cake, the automatic response might be to take a bite. However, where this behaviour conflicts with internal plans (such as having decided not to eat chocolate cake whilst on a diet), the executive functions might be engaged to inhibit this response.

Is all of that too heady? In any event, the King of Swords as well as the Emperor would both be masters of the executive function, able to follow plans to a "T," without deviation or remorse.

sapienza

I wonder if it's also the same Eagle being devoured by the lion on the Two of Coins?

mj07

sapienza said:
I wonder if it's also the same Eagle being devoured by the lion on the Two of Coins?
I wondered about that, too, since the King of Coins is portrayed as a lion!