Five of Pentacles

poivre

Universal Waite Deck

On the top of the window on each side of the V is that the tower showing
in the background? (the grey areas above the coins)

I always thought of this window as finding your own light, truth or lesson
on a spiritual level. I always thought the light was on inside of the
building.

Do you think the light is on or is it showing we have to find the light
over our problems?
If the card is reversed could we say the light is off in the building or
ourselves?

An input about the window would be appreciated.

Fulgour

lets look...

FIVE of PENTACLES

1909 Colman Smith

1990 Hanson Roberts

:rolleyes:

April

Interesting idea, ros. I wish I could see the top of the window, but I don't see why that couldn't be the Tower. These people have obviously had something devestating happen to them.

I used to think that the building was a church and, yes, they were going toward the light so to speak, and they would go in and someone would take care of them, and they would live happily ever after, blech. They surely seem to be searching for something, be it food, shelter, or any sort of help. Guidance, teaching, etc.

Now I think this is not a church but just someone's house, and that idea coupled with the fact (at least I think it's a fact) that at least one of the characters has leprosy makes me think that they have been turned away. So, I guess I agree in a sort of round about way. Yes, they are seeking something, but they're not going to get it here. So, like you said, they have to go find they're own light.

My view is more cynical, I know, and I'm not sure what made me change my mind about the church. Maybe I should focus less on whether or not they will find it and more on the fact that they are seeking it.

Peace,
April

Fulgour

Channeling Pam

After our usual, glum and stuffy meeting tonight, some of us gathered on the sidewalk outside the hall. Across the street there was a church window all brightly lit from within, while the February weather did its best to encourage us to the nearest pub for some mulled claret.

Mr. Loomis was by my side (Yeat's friend, Ezra) so I nudged him so he'd notice two of the most forlorn beggars you might ever sorrow to behold, scuttling by across the way right below that so beatific window. "Poor souls," I said, "and yet so radiant ~ like petals on a wet black bough."

All dreamlike, Ezra intoned, "merely apparitions." I wanted to ask if he had picked up his Continental accent back in Iowa with his goatee, but he'd turned away to chatter with sad old silly Arthur.

pandora

The Moon?

I know that The Tower is associated with the 5’s but for some reason I have always thought of The Moon when I see this card.
The window (to me) looks like it shows the two grey pillars/towers at the top and the five pentacles as a path to follow between them.
I suppose where the light is coming from does depend on which deck you are looking at and how you will respond to the image, as Fulgour pointed out with the two versions. (I was amazed at how different those two cards are and how I would respond differently to each!)

My deck is an old RWS which is fairly dark so my take has always been that it was the moon reflecting light onto the window and showing the state of things.
So when I see this card I think "earthy" Pentacles type loss/need, but also that until you find your own way past the two towers, you and the “church” will remain cold, empty, dark, and wanting.

Pandora

WalesWoman

HMMM, I never really noticed the towers before. But with the 5 Pentacles in the center, it makes me think of the tree of life, that to know joy you must know sorrow, if you don't appreciate what you have you must experience it's loss, or that by loss you appreciate what you gain, and the top pentacle would be about understanding that and rising above it? that life is lived in a balanced state and grows best in the middle ground?

bigcaat

WalesWoman said:
it makes me think of the tree of life, that to know joy you must know sorrow, if you don't appreciate what you have you must experience it's loss, or that by loss you appreciate what you gain, and the top pentacle would be about understanding that and rising above it? that life is lived in a balanced state and grows best in the middle ground?

I like this explaination, ww. I always see the tree of life, as well. But I am not all that familiar with it, my readings on it were years ago. I have always read this card as 'through loss, we find a sense of enlightenment -- if we so choose." I like your wording, however. It seems to strike a chord with me.

Caat

bigcaat

ros said:
On the top of the window on each side of the V is that the tower showing in the background? (the grey areas above the coins)

I had never noticed it before, but it does look like it, doesn't it? I read this as -- It is through our loss, trials and tribulations that we exact great change in ourselves, which leads to a higher state of enlightenment. (The light from the window and the tree of life.)

Caat

Fulgour

In a Reading today

For a question about "Love" today, I drew this card
and the meaning for this particular client was clear:

The 5 of Pentacles for her meant "Shining a Light from Within"

I wrote to her (she was asking about marriage) that
the 5 of Pentacles bids you to let your wishes be known.
Shine your light from within, and let all who know you
see it is true.

It felt exactly right, and I wondered if others have ever
sensed this potential and need when reading on this card,
to be the light and to shine?

Abrac

I noticed the tower in the background today when this card turned up in a reading, which led me to this old thread in search of some insight.

Hmmm...... curiouser and curiouser.

fools_fool