Your fave herbal remedies

celticnoodle

yep, Greatdane, YOU are most responsible for me buying Oil of Oregano! :D I always think of you when I go to grab it. :laugh:

FeeLion, I love using coconut oil as a facial cleanser and moisturizer. I love it! in my late 50s and I've yet to develop any wrinkles. I credit the coconut oil. :D

theFeeLion

Celticnoodle - I've used coconut oil before but my skin doesn't seem to like it so much! I am a fan of macadamia oil at the moment or passionflower oil is another great one plus it smells lightly of passionfruit 😀 frankincense would have to be my go to essential oil though. So many good benefits! 😀

celticnoodle

I'll have to check out the frankincense oil. I love the coconut oil--but I also purchase the refined one, because I cannot stand the aroma of coconut or the taste of it. Never even knew of passionfruit oil--another one I'll have to look into. though I prefer cleansers and moisturizers to not have a fragrance. I have seen macadmaia and I think I even tried it once or twice. The other thing I like about the coconut oil is the price--very inexpensive and you can get it right at Walmart.

coyoteblack

I like fresh squeeze lemon, mint from my garden, yerba mate with stevia leaves for morning vitamins boost to my immune plus great for digestion.

Also when I was in India various combinations of honey and cinnamon work for allergies and digestive issues.

Essential oils of lavender and peppermint, spearmint are relaxing.

banbha

Not herbal but natural and organic: raw apple cider vinegar. It brought both my eczema symptoms (there is no cure) and my acid reflux under control, as long as I take it regularly (1 tbs. in 8 oz. of water).

This is my go to health tonic. I drink Braggs brand mostly.

I did not know it was helpful with eczema. I must tell my sister who has it on her hands, thanks for the tip. Hopefully it will help her too.

FeeLion, I love using coconut oil as a facial cleanser and moisturizer. I love it! in my late 50s and I've yet to develop any wrinkles. I credit the coconut oil. :D

I can use coconut oil everywhere with the exception of my face. It gives me pimples which I'm not normally prone to! It is such an excellent moisturizer and hair conditioner.

On my face I use a mixture of oils: Evening Primrose, Rose Hip, Frankincense, Avocado (great for eczema among other things), & Castor oils. Whatever I have on hand usually.

Barleywine

I did not know it was helpful with eczema. I must tell my sister who has it on her hands, thanks for the tip. Hopefully it will help her too.

I discovered it by accident. I had read that it's good for acid reflex (my doctor confirmed that it's a base, not an acid, so it works as a neutralizing agent, just not all day for most people like it does for me). As far as eczema, my dermatologist encouraged me to keep seeking a natural remedy, since all he could do is treat it with topical creams to alleviate the symptoms. After two weeks of taking it daily, the eczema blemishes started going away, and after a couple of months they were all gone. If I stop taking it for four or five days, they start coming back. It's not a remedy, just a suppressant, but I'll take it!

If you read the Bragg's literature, it's good for almost anything that ails you, but I figure that's just hype. The other thing I found is that if you buy it at a store that doesn't sell much of it, the "mother" enzyme gets kind of sludgy and nasty in the bottom of the bottle. If the bottom has a thick layer of "stuff" in it, look elsewhere.

Nemia

Are experiences with essential oils "allowed" here?

I have used a mixture of essential oils (bay, rosemary, lavender, thyme, cedarwood) in a carrier oil (jojoba or coconut oil) for years to massage my scalp. It really encourages hair growth and makes the hair healthier. When I used this mixture regularly (twice a week, put in a dropper bottle, some drops distributed on the scalp and massaged in), I had great hair. It didn't work for my husband though who is half-bald.

I have also used catnip rinses for my hair as detangler, they worked well, too. And that's herbal because you really use the herb.

I used to add strong rosemary and lavender infusions for my childrens' bath when they were younger, they all had sensitive skin. It was also relaxing.

Wherever I have lived, I have always started a herb garden with the usual kitchen herbs. I use fresh herbs every day in my kitchen.

My favorite tea herbs are verbena (louisa) and micromeria fruticosa (zuta levana). Louisa is gentle, zuta levana is strong. I drink herbal teas all the time and have stopped drinking coffee. I sleep much besser now.

I also put fresh ginger and lemon slices in cold water to encourage my water intake when it's hot. I put them also in the water bottles I carry everywhere.

Thyme tea is good against cough but a non-herbal home remedy (syrup from fresh onion and brown sugar) is better in my experience.

Sage leaves make a bitter but beneficial gargle when your throat aches.

It's my dream to take a course and learn more about herbology. I have a lot of books but would like to learn it properly, especially about the specific herbs that grow in our region.

celticnoodle

Are experiences with essential oils "allowed" here?
yes, of course it is! :)
I have used a mixture of essential oils (bay, rosemary, lavender, thyme, cedarwood) in a carrier oil (jojoba or coconut oil) for years to massage my scalp. It really encourages hair growth and makes the hair healthier. When I used this mixture regularly (twice a week, put in a dropper bottle, some drops distributed on the scalp and massaged in), I had great hair. It didn't work for my husband though who is half-bald.

I have also used catnip rinses for my hair as detangler, they worked well, too. And that's herbal because you really use the herb.
really??! Catnip?! Interesting! I have heard of coconut oil in the scalp and I have used it too--but I have to use a very teeny tiny amount, or it takes numerous shampoos to remove it so my hair isn't oily. I also have jojoba oil and love it too--often using it as a skin moisturizer--but its so expensive--I don't buy it often. [/quote]

I used to add strong rosemary and lavender infusions for my childrens' bath when they were younger, they all had sensitive skin. It was also relaxing. [/quote]

I never knew this either about rosemary & lavender--both which I do grow in my herbal garden. I also have very sensitive skin as does my daughter & grandchildren. this is good to know! I'll share it with the kid and maybe she will use this too.
Wherever I have lived, I have always started a herb garden with the usual kitchen herbs. I use fresh herbs every day in my kitchen.
yes, we do too. I also find myself giving a lot of it to our neighbor--who has only ever used store bought herbs in the shaker jar that you can get at the dollar store for - a dollar. :eek: while sometimes that is all you can get ahold of--I told her, wait till you've tried FRESH herbs! You'll see--nothing better! I've given her some for medicinal purposes--(aches & pains and not being able to sleep and headaches and nausea). She and her hubby were amazed how common plants/herbs can help with such things. :laugh: I think I'll become known as the local "witch" doctor. ;)
I also put fresh ginger and lemon slices in cold water to encourage my water intake when it's hot. I put them also in the water bottles I carry everywhere.
I am a bit water drinker myself and love lemon slices in it. I'll have to try the ginger slices too.
Thyme tea is good against cough but a non-herbal home remedy (syrup from fresh onion and brown sugar) is better in my experience.
I wonder if this is what my grandmother use to make. She made something for when people had colds--specifically pneumonia and it had a lot of onions in it. She was well known in her neighborhood as the town healer--and was credited for helping many there to survive a pneumonia epidemic in the area.
It's my dream to take a course and learn more about herbology. I have a lot of books but would like to learn it properly, especially about the specific herbs that grow in our region.
same here. there was one -- both a free one and one you could pay to take which was even deeper, but expensive---offered online through I think through "Mother Earth Living" at their website here: https://www.motherearthliving.com

It is a great magazine and a great site. check it out.

Barleywine said:
I discovered it by accident. I had read that it's good for acid reflex (my doctor confirmed that it's a base, not an acid, so it works as a neutralizing agent, just not all day for most people like it does for me).
This is very interesting too.

If you read the Bragg's literature, it's good for almost anything that ails you, but I figure that's just hype. The other thing I found is that if you buy it at a store that doesn't sell much of it, the "mother" enzyme gets kind of sludgy and nasty in the bottom of the bottle. If the bottom has a thick layer of "stuff" in it, look elsewhere.
yes, and this is also what the lady I met said too.

Coyoteblack, I think the lemon and mint mixture sounds really good--even better then the lemon and ginger to me! ;) When my sister in law visits, she likes to pick fresh mint and put it in her drinks too. It is refreshing.

linnie

Thyme, just chewed, for a sore throat ...

Lemon-scented teatree used to deflect mosquitoes ...

Oregano oil for throat if thyme doesn't budge it ...

White sage smudge to instil calm...

Echinacea of mixed species as immunity support

Home made kombucha tea made from only a little black tea to keep the scoby alive and almost all Rosella tea for the substance... Said to be good for reducing hypertension, and it tastes delicious.

Lavender oil for peace

Sandalwood and patchouli for grounding

Ginger for anti-nausea

Yes, mostly already covered by other people but these are amongst my favourites :)