Luna Moth symbology?

TygrEyes

Hello!
I was lucky enough to see a Luna Moth yesterday afternoon. It's only the second time I've seen one in person in the wild. The first time I saw one was 26 years ago! I've been looking online and I haven't found much about their symbolism. All I saw was - symbol of the moon, obviously, and more messages to come soon. When I first wrote the first line of this message I wrote "Luna Mother". Hmm, wonder if that means anything?

Does anyone have any more in depth information on symbology for this beautiful creature?

Thanks,

TygrEyes

Attachments

• luna_moth3_resized.jpg
    luna_moth3_resized.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 118

memries

Luna Moth

It is very beautiful. I once saw one years ago getting out of its chrysalis but it looked so funny and I did not have time to wait. I was always sorry about that.

http://www.butterfliesandmoths.org/species?l=3292

This is not quite what you are looking for but it was a good write up about them. It is the Lepidoptera Society. Ted Andrews in his books mentions the Luna Mother but no write up about it. (That is so funny ! I wrote Mother as well instead of Moth... oh my !

They Keynote words for Moth is :

sexual activity. fertility
increased relationships

TygrEyes

I found this by looking up luna moth "lore" & it's for moths in general:
MOTH'S WISDOM INCLUDES:
The power of the whirlwind - Ease of movement in darkness/shadow - Transformation - Ability to confuse enemies -
Ability to find light in darkness

In the movie Dr. Doolittle it was a Luna Moth who carried the "doctor" back to England

memries

I remember that about Dr. Doolittle, one of my very favorite movies. The first one with Rex Harrison.

They also mate in the night and lay eggs one hour later ! A week later they hatch.

They are also called Wild Silk Moths I think because they use silk to make their cocoons. White Birch trees are one of their habitats and hard word forests. Many more Southerly trees are listed.

When you stop to think about it, if there were a Moon out they would be very translucent as well. Most moths are not. Maybe that is why. The similarity being the Moon and the Luna Moth shine together.

TygrEyes

When I found a list of tree leaves they feed on they mentioned sumac and hickory - which we have a lot of. When I took my dog out a few nights ago a huge moth was flying around the front light post. Now, I'm suspicious it was this Luna Moth. It looked more light brown to me then, but I was about 30 feet away. I remember thinking "that thing is huge". :eek:) I've seen the silk cocoons once in a while, but I didn't realize who made them.

memries

That is interesting to find the silk cocoons. I wonder if they unravel or how they are able to make the silk in the first place.