Sheridan Douglas - 2 of Batons

Sulis

Against an orange sky kneels a green man.
He is in the process of making fire with 2 sticks.
One of the sticks has a small hollow in it and he has placed the end of the second stick in the hollow of the first. He looks as if he is twirling the second stick to create friction and a spark.
He's been successful as smoke and a small flame rise from the hollow in the first stick.
The man has green skin and hair and is wearing a green loin-cloth.
The grass that he kneels on almost looks like green flames.

Orange for me is the colour of creativity, confidence and courage.
Green is the colour of fertility and growth.

I love the image on this card. Like many other images in this deck, it seems completely original.
I see the 2 of Batons or Wands to be a kind of doorway card.
It shows planning and thought after the initial burst of energy that came with the Ace.
Now is the time to decide exactly what you're going to do with that energy. Which way are you going to go.
In many RWS based decks I get a feeling of 'should I stay or should I go?' with the 2 of Wands and with that come the feelings and the qualities needed for such a decison.
I think that the 2 of Batons is often about believing in yourself. Knowing that you can do something, if you just try.
With this version of the card there is a feeling of determination and of persistance.
It's hard work to make a fire out of two sticks and a very easy task to give up on I should think.

I'd love to hear what others who use this deck think of this card.

Attachments

• 2 Batons.jpg
    2 Batons.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 113

Fulgour

"Starting a fire is a sacrament"

"Things that can cause problems: If you don't have enough muscle power then you won't be able to raise the temperature high enough. Remedy: teamwork. Have someone else help you." Richard A. Baugh
This is from an article by an engineer, who goes on to say:

"The Spiritual Aspects: All I know is that there are some things that make me feel good and starting a fire the way my ancestors did 10,000 years ago is one of them. What makes me feel even better is getting a group of people to contribute towards the starting of a fire. I can think of no better way to bond a group of people. We all take turns at twirling the spindle, each according to his or her own ability, we all gently blow on the ember to bring out the flame and the smoke carries our thoughts and our hopes skyward. On the evaluation of a weekend course I gave a couple of years ago one of the students said: Starting a fire is a sacrament."
To read the article, click on The Miracle of Fire-by-Friction