Domino Divination redux...falling over in delight

Cerulean

I discovered late in my delight in divination...

http://www.spiritnexus.com/tools/dicedominoes/dominoes.htm

My search started when over the holiday...family members spanning 17 to 82 and we all played...

DOMINOES!

They looked like mahjong tiles, only I found them very neat...and as soon as we got back home, found a multicolored set of double 15s...

I noticed the last thread on domino divination (by Zorya) had three links, two broken, back in 2002...here's more links given...

http://www.domino-games.com/domino-divination.html

I'm feeling that this is my next feat...rattling them bones....what do you guys think or have you done this? I'm eager to explore something slightly kooky, even if I don't quite believe these are quite the 'ancient' divination system that some websites claim...

http://www.tradgames.org.uk/games/Dominoes.htm

Happy New Year!

Cerulean
dancing domino delight diva....

Milfoil

Certainly dominoes have been a VERY traditional British pub game for centuries. Its gone out of fashion a bit now to place dominoes and cards in pubs, and not many old fellas around to keep up the tradition but a lot of pubs and bars still keep the sets behind the bar for its patrons to use.

Never used them as a divination device before and the last time I remember playing properly was with my Nana when I was a kid.

Sounds interesting though.

:D

Aristede

Hi Cerulean,

I used to love to read with dominoes! I would carry my dominoes around everywhere. They are so much fun to read with, and their accuracy is sometimes startling.

I've only read with a set of double 6s, and I got my original meanings from an old book called Complete Fortune Telling by Agnes M Miall. I found that after a while, I began expanding on the meanings, and developed a few of my own.

Thanks for posting the links. I'm going to look around for a set of double 15s, and have another go!

pippi

I've recently become interested in this, but something about the methods I've seen bothers me. I guess it's a question of reversals of sorts. Let's say you pull a 2:1 domino. I would think that it should read differently depending on which way it comes up (1:2 or 2:1). I don't read reversals with tarot cards, so it's strange that this should bug me...but I feel like there should be significance in which number comes first when the domino is laid down.

Thoughts??

Also, how does one choose between getting 6/9/12. etc dominoes? If the divination method goes back thousands of years, didn't they only have 6 dots at that time?

pippi

Also, I was thinking, for a more portable method, two dice could be used in place of dominoes, no? In this case, the above mentioned issue of reversals wouldn't bother me. :p

Aristede

Hi Pippi,

Oddly, I've never thought of reading the dominoes in the reversed positions. The book where I picked up my original meanings didn't list reversals, and the meanings only went up to double-six. I just always thought of 1:2 and 2:1 as the same, but you do make an interesting point!

I think using reverse meanings would add a lot of depth to the dominoes as a divination tool. I suppose it shouldn't be any different from using Runes which do usually give a different meaning when reversed

I like your idea of using dice for a more portable method. In the book I mentioned, there is also a chapter on reading dice, and the meanings listed are for the total count of a three dice toss. No special considerations are made for the specific combinations that make up the totals. I don't see why you couldn't use two dice along with the domino meanings. I think it's a great idea! :thumbsup:

I have no clue where the meanings for the expanded dominoes came from. I've only just learned that they exist! :)

SpiritOfTheDogz

Only just found out that it is possible to read with dominos and I'm getting hooked on the idea.

I bought a "Collins Gem" book called "Predictions", it appears to be out of print now and the version I got off Amazon for 1p (yep thats right one great british pence) appears to date back to 1991 but there's some good stuff in it from bits about Runes, Pamestry, Astrology, Tarot, Reading Playing Cards, Tea Leaves, Dice etc, to a bit about reading dominos, it's only the sixes so there are only 28 meanings to remember, and the meanings are "nice" and written in what I think is an old fashioned type of way

6-6 This is the best domino in the set, with strong omens for success and happiness in every area of life

6-5 A close friend or maybe a benefactor, but patience and perseverance are also indicated. A kind action will bring you great regard

6-4 All the signs point to quarrel, or maybe even a lawsuit, with an unsuccessful outcome

6-3 You are going to travel, or a journey will affect your life. A holiday will be happy and a journey may bring a gift

6-2 Very good luck is coming your way, and your circumstances may be improved, but this tile is only lucky for the honest

6-1 There will be an end to your problems. A good friend could be involved in this. A wedding is foretold

6-Blank Be careful of false friends or a deceitful person. You could suffer some unhappiness because of gossip

5-5 A strong omen for change and the change will bring success. You might move to a new place where you will be happy, or make money from a new idea

5-4 Profits and good fortune in material terms, possibly unexpected, but don’t take any chances as it’s not a good time for investments
5-3 A calm and well adjusted atmosphere here; you will get some good news or helpful advice from a visitor of from your boss

5-2 A true friend will have an influence on your life, maybe because of his patience and tolerance. This is also an omen for birth

5-1 A love affair, or an interesting meeting with a new friend is in store. Things may not end happily for those in love.

5-Blank There will be some sadness; you may have to give comfort to a friend in trouble, but you need caution, so think carefully about what you say

4-4 Happiness, fun, relaxation and celebration are the signs in this domino. There maybe a party in a big building

4-3 You might have expected some problems or disappointments, but instead you will find happiness and success

4-2 A change of some sort, but not a happy one; setbacks, losses or maybe even a robbery. Some one you know is deceitful so be careful

4-1 This domino is the sign that there will be some financial problems ahead so be sure you pay any outstanding debts

4-Blank Some news will not be favourable; you may be disappointed in a love affair or something you want could be postponed. Try to reconcile a quarrel

3-3 This domino predicts obstacles in your emotional life; jealousy or distress, but money is well favoured

3-2 Some pleasant changes may be coming, but you need to be cautious just now, especially in financial matters

3-1 The answer to the question in your mind is “NO”. Some Surprising news might be useful but beware of unhappiness caused by outsiders

3-Blank This domino is not a good omen, and you could experience unexpected problems both at home and at work

2-2 You will get what you want, as this is a good domino. Business success and personal happiness are predicted, but enemies might try and spoil it for you

2-1 Financial problems and maybe a loss of money or property are indicated, but this domino is good for social life and old friends

2-Blank This is a good omen for travel and meeting new friends, but something is worrying you and someone could cause difficulties for you

1-1 Harmony and affection are predicted, and a stranger could be involved. You have an important decision to make so don’t put it off

1-Blank A stranger or outsider will bring some interesting news that could mean financial gain, but don’t be too trusting

Blank-Blank This is the blackest domino in the set, and it carries the worst omens. The double blank will have a negative effect on all your activities

I have thought about getting some 12's but there seems to be plenty to go at here for a start. 12's I believe would have 96 meanings to remember, a bit too much. I'm not even going to think about 18's apparently they have 190 dominos, so that would be 190 meanings, and 190 to put back in the box when you've done!

I'm considering double 9's, I think that would give a nice number, 55, although that would mean finding another 27 meanings to add to those above

Paul