Aquarian: 5 of Rods (Wands)

irongoddess

Curiously, the Aquarian 5 of Rods shows four (not five) men, all of them holding rods. None of them stand in a combative pose, but rather are facing all different directions and paying no attention to each other. For me this card is less focused on combative disagreement and more focused on confusion, conflicting purposes, and a lack of unity.

The topmost figure has his lips pursed, as if he's calling (or whistling) for someone out of sight of the card. I had to chuckle, thinking perhaps the five men are due to have a brawl and one guy is late! In this case, the argument itself is delayed due to annoying hassles. :)

Although figures in this deck tend all to have pensive expressions, this card struck me with the differentiation among the four men's expressions. One seems angry (lower right), one seems worried (center), one seems distracted (left), and one, as I said, seems to be trying to get the attention of someone "offscreen." No one is on the same page; everyone has his own agenda.

Everyone's standing around waiting for whatever is supposed to happening. The next time I see this deck's 5 of Rods in a reading, I'll ask whether everyone concerned in the matter at hand is pursuing their own agenda and preventing things from getting underway.

Queen of Disks

Hello, irongoddess, nice to have you here! :)

It looks to me like the calm before the storm. These gentleman are getting together to do something (play a game, build something), and each other's different personalities are already appearent. I can picture the next segment being: the other guy shows up ("Wait for me!!!"), each person has their own idea on how to do whatever it is they are doing, no one wants to compromise, and mayhem ensues.

Aristede

It's funny, but this card always reminds me of a group of lacrosse players waiting for the game to begin. :) I don't feel combativeness here either--maybe the prelude to competition.

irongoddess said:
Everyone's standing around waiting for whatever is supposed to happening. The next time I see this deck's 5 of Rods in a reading, I'll ask whether everyone concerned in the matter at hand is pursuing their own agenda and preventing things from getting underway.

I get the same feeling. I read this card as the need to organize and get everyone on the same page in order to ensure a successful outcome.

karenquilter

The LWB says: Strenuous competition for material gains and recognition, business affairs may improve. Reverse: Legal complications, trickery.

You're right, they don't look like they're competing yet. The calm before the storm? Confusion, rather than competition?

The deck was published in 1970, maybe this card reflects the peace movement of the time.

MariposAzl

5 of rods

Hi everyone :)
I don't happen to own this deck (so thanks to Sulis for the pic) and am considering purchasing it, so I guess this is study group would be a great way to find out more about it, get to know it, and decide if it works for me or not.

Well, looking at this card makes me feel like this probably is the calm before the storm. First I notice they all have different clothes and facial expressions as well as they're all holding their rods in different ways. To me this shows they all have different temprements and different oppionions. The guy in the back seems pretty non-chalant while the 2 in the foreground seem to be in a deep discussion, I imagine about how to do something or get something done. The guy in the middle looks like he's a bit leery of they guy on the right, as if he's anticipating the man on the right getting ready to be angry. The rods represent fire, power, and passion, and in my mind where men are concerned that's testosterone. The fact that there are 4 men to the 5 wands to me says that there's too much testosterone in this situation, and somethin's bound to happen.

~Mari

Umbrae

I really like this Five of Wands, because it's not 'combative' (but it could be), it perhaps is competitive…

It’s like something is about to happen, as opposed to something in progress. It’s the moment, where we move into a state of combat, or competition or…

The whistle – is about to blow. The bell…is about to ring.