Tarot Box-making hobby

Lexie

I'm amazed blue_fusion... these boxes are so beautiful! Well done.. :)

rwcarter

Here are some of my blue_fusion-inspired attempts at making boxes for my tarot cards.

For the Lo Scarabeo Tarot box, I scanned the World card, printed it on photo paper and then inset it into the top. The box itself is made out of a file folder. I made the lid too big for the base, but lined the inner sides of the lid with felt and it fits more snugly now. I used a spray varnish on the box, but will probably paint on the polyacrylic finish now that I have that. Haven't decided if I'll try to cover it with decorative paper before applying the polyacrylic finish.

The Tall Lidded box is my take on blue_fusion's Pillar Box that had his Mythic Tarot in it. It's made out of card stock and covered with leftover Provo Craft decorative paper that I got from one of the local craft stores. (Since it was leftover, there wasn't quite enough to properly cover the top of the box, so I'm not showing it. ;)) It has a high gloss polyacrylic finish on it.

The Brown Covered box is my first successful attempt at using illustrator board. It's lined inside and covered outside with complimentary sheets of Provo Craft decorative paper and has many coats of high gloss polyacrylic finish on it.

I tried to make a tall lidded box out of illustrator board, but although the outer box and lid were the same width and depth, the lid won't fit on the box. Not sure if I'll attempt to make another lid or just leave the base as it is cause there are other problems with that box, so it might just be chalked up to a learning experience.

I have two other boxes "drying" right now. One is a tuckbox I made for my Artists Inner Visions Tarot. It was one of the first tuckboxes I made. After finally conquering covering the boxes with decorative paper, I covered it today and have put a few coats of polyacrylic on it.

The other is also a tuckbox that holds my Art of Tarot deck. After making the tuckbox, I decided to print out the titles on card stock and affix that to the tuckbox, but wasn't happy with the result, so removed most of the labels. I covered what I removed with the decorative paper from which I used the leftovers for the Tall Lidded box. Once they're dry, I'll take pics and post them.

Rodney

Attachments

• LoS Tarot Covered Box Collage.pdf
    106.5 KB · Views: 371
  • Talled Lidded Box Collage.pdf
    60.9 KB · Views: 300
  • Brown Covered Box Collage.pdf
    212.8 KB · Views: 259

rwcarter

Pics of the box I made specifically for my Bohemian Gothic deck. I'm not sure if I'll house the regular edition or the silver edition in it. It came out a little grayer than I wanted (and I know why), so I may scrap it and have a do-over.

The top and sides of the box are actually a scan from the back of the cards. The inside is red cardstock. The bottom is solid black wrapping paper.

Gonna make a "love" box to house one of my love tarots and a dragon box to house one of my dragon decks. Then I'll probably end up making a Disney box for my partner. (And if that doesn't turn me off box-making, nothing will! :laugh:)

Rodney

Attachments

• Bohemian Gothic 001.jpg
    Bohemian Gothic 001.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 261
  • Bohemian Gothic 002.jpg
    Bohemian Gothic 002.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 224
  • Bohemian Gothic 003.jpg
    Bohemian Gothic 003.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 215
  • Bohemian Gothic 004.jpg
    Bohemian Gothic 004.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 201

firefrost

Rodney, you should advertise your services and start making to order, I'm sure you'd be unindated with requests!

Your Brown Collage one to me has a lovely leathery look about it.

Depending on how work goes next month, I might just be your first customer...hehehehe...;)

rwcarter

Thanks firefrost. blue_fusion is my hero and my source of inspiration. If I hadn't seen his boxes, I would never have thought to make my own. I am but a student sitting at the feet of the master....

But if I do decide to start making boxes as anything other than a hobby, I'll let you know! ;)

Rodney

rwcarter

Book of Kaos and Remade Bohemian Gothic Boxes

I made a box for the Book of Kaos Tarot because the box it came in barely survived the trip from Australia to the US. The picture on the cover of the box is one of the two Lovers cards in the deck.

I also remade the Bohemian Gothic skull box using the design from the back of the cards on the top of the box. This time I made it with a solid black base. Of course I wasn't thinking when I made it and used the top that I had originally made for the first box and couldn't use cause it was too small. So the remade box is too small to house either version of the Bohemian Gothic! :( I couldn't bear to put any other deck into that box, so I gave it to my partner and he put his Robin Wood into it. (Some people's children....) I seriously doubt I'll be making the box a third time any time soon....

Rodney

Attachments

• Bohemian Gothic - Old and New Boxes.jpg
    Bohemian Gothic - Old and New Boxes.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 425
  • Book of Kaos Collage.jpg
    Book of Kaos Collage.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 596

Debra

Those look wonderful, Rodney.

But but but ... the ROBIN WOOD, the wholesome, healthy, happy, sunshine-in-the-wooded-glade ROBIN WOOD in the Memento Mori box?

Now THAT is HORROR!

Alta

Very impressive Rodney!!! I also got a chuckle about the Robin Wood in that skull-decorated box though. :D :D

rwcarter

Box for Ancient Egyptian Tarot

Another box. This one is for my Ancient Egyptian Tarot by Clive Barrett. I'll be using it for the Intensive Deck Study (IDS) and one of my rules was that I would make a box for it. It ended up being the Murphy's Law box, so I may end up remaking it during the course of the IDS. Two pics. The first is the closed box with the Fool on the cover. The second is the deck (with Fool on top) in the base with the top next to it.

Rodney

P.S.- I showed my partner people's responses to the fact that he's housing the Robin Wood in the Memento Mori box. He laughed and said, "They get the irony of it, huh?" As I said before, "Some people's children...."

Attachments

• Ancient Egyptian Tarot Collage.jpg
    Ancient Egyptian Tarot Collage.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 403

Promise

OK, I absolutely LOVE that Memento Mori box. In fact, my BG is probably going to start complaining loudly enough that I'm forced to make it it's own box just to shut it up!

That Ancient Egyptian box is gorgeous too. It looks...ancient to me, for some reason.