Readings For The Dead: Cleopatra's Reading

Alamaris

I decided to read for Cleopatra first... I think she'd approve. :p I asked members of the household who they'd like to hear about first, and was amused by the choices: my mother picked Cleopatra, Anastasia, and Jesus. My father picked the Marquis deSade and Hitler. I'm more morbidly inclined myself, but I'll humor my mother since it was her birthday a few days ago.

I'll be using a spread I designed myself (it needs a name).

3*4*5
2***6
1***7

1. Pick a card to represent yourself -- who are you? 7 of Wands. I feel this card represents a person who stands their ground and refuses to back down in a struggle. They're tough, they're just, and they don't take crap from just anyone. Someone who seems to be in a contested position of authority. This is a person who makes things happen by the strength of their will and their back.

2. What is your honest impression of me? The Star. I was a little flustered when this card came up -- I've always seen the Star as such a beautiful, mystical image. But in representing a person, I believe this can represent a girl child or a young woman. This was affirmed when I checked one of my reference books... when referring to a person, the Star can be a young woman, someone who renders assistance, an astrologer, a UFO buff, and a healer. Excepting the "healer" part, this quite accurately describes me as the reader. Fascinating!

3. What is the biggest regret you have? 3 of Wands. As soon as I saw the card, with its single occupant looking out on a desolate yellow sea, I felt a tinge of intuitive despair. The first thought I had was that of a journey interrupted. This card can often mean putting plans into action; future ideas, goals, and negotiations. In the context of who I'm reading for... perhaps Cleopatra regretted the way her life ended early? It makes sense that she may have had many aspirations and plans for the rest of her life and the cities she dwelled in, but circumstances cut those goals short. The ships were coming in, but she was no longer there to greet them.

4. What is the most important thing you learned in your lifetime? 6 of Swords. Immediately I remember a fictional novel I read about Cleopatra's life, when I was quite young: the RWS image shows a woman and a child in a boat, poled by a young man. The novel I read opened by describing the death of Cleopatra's mother -- drowning by falling off a boat into a river. Cleopatra, an infant, nearly drowned as well. I have no idea if the account is based on fact or not, but this was my first impression.

I feel that the most important thing Cleopatra learned in her life was that its all a journey. Sometimes, you can go with the flow and everything works out just fine. Sometimes, you have to paddle against the current in order to make things right, and although it is immensely difficult, it must be done. One must be aware of places beyond one's borders, and how important travel and trade are.

5. How did you die? The World. My first impression was confusion. How can the World possibly describe how a person died? For one, it seems to contradict what the "regret" card said, that goals were cut short by her death. The World is a harmonious card, for the most part, signifying the end of a phase, wholeness and completion. It speaks of unity, contentedness, a peaceful death at the end of a long and illustrious life. Perhaps she did die peacefully after all, and doesn't truly regret much from her life.

6. Where are you right now? Knight of Wands. I can't glean much from this card, but it seems to imply perpetual motion and action, not wanting to settle down. Adventure and energy, certainly. Some might see this as representing Cleopatra's most recent reincarnation, but I'm not sure if I would read it that way (not sure if I believe in reincarnation, I should say).

7. Is there anything you would like me to know? 4 of Cups. It certainly seems to say, "Take the proffered cup." The card accurately describes my life at the moment: depression, boredom, discontent, emptiness and loneliness. This tells me, loud and clear, "Stop being so withdrawn, for goodness sakes!" Perhaps I need to live a little like Cleopatra herself -- flamboyant, a social butterfly, enjoying the beauty of life.

MeeWah

A wee moderating note

This reading split from Talking Tarot's "Readings For The Dead", the discussion thread for Alamaris' reading project:

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=98896

Btw: "Reading for the Dead" seems an apt spread title :)

~MeeWah
Co-Moderator, Your Readings

silverr

I think you're right on the Knight of Wands indicating movement, energy, adventure. I'd probably change that position away from "where" and more to "what," like what activities, projects, intentions the person may be involved with. That might be easier to interpret than trying for a location outside of spacetime.

What a very cool project you've begun, Alamaris. The reading was interesting, and I look forward to the additional ones to come.

reine de saba

I know little about Cleopatra, but I kind of wonder if her death, The World, and Three of Wands her regrets couldn't be read together. Not only given your reading of them, but also the geopolitical gist of her life.

Antony, Cesar, Cleopatra, playing at the World game and the great regret of her loss, trying to save her kingdom from Roman domination.

I'm thinking too for the 3/w -and it's been a while since my Romans-in-North-Africa coursework, so I might be confusing Shakespeare for reality- the regret of going to Rome (if she did in fact?) or Antony coming into her life?

again, I know little, and perhas should have done some gogglig before posting to refresh, but that jumped out at me.

-saba

Ligator

Star

The star. She was regarded as the new hope for Egypt, by some. through the tricky alliance with Rome a new greatness should be born. But she became the last pharao of Egypt instead and the independence of Egypt was destroyed!

The star is also a symbol of Sirius. The star connoting the New Years Eve of Egypt. As pharao Cleopatra was viewed as a reincarnation of Isis.

"Cleopatra’s coinage hailed her as Isis, the ‘New Goddess,’ and she was actively worshipped as such in Egypt. After the ‘Donations of Alexandria’ she was never in public without her Isis robes. Caesar had even recognised Cleopatra as Isis in a triumph held in Rome. Religion was an integral part of Cleopatra’s political propaganda, for the sect of Isis had spread throughout the ancient Mediterranean world, and to be ‘internationally’ recognised as the goddess gave Cleopatra greater political clout in the East. When Antony became a crucial part of her plans, Cleopatra’s propaganda ensured that he was revered by Greek Egyptians as Dionysus and by native Egyptians as Osiris, the ‘king of kings’."

http://www.roman-empire.net/articles/article-028.html

Ligator

By the way. This is how gebelin described the star in 1781:

http://www.tarotpedia.com/wiki/Du_Jeu_Des_Tarots

"No. XVII.
The Dog Star.
Here we have under our eyes a card no less allegorical, & absolutely Egyptian; it is entitled the Star. Indeed, one can see there a brilliant star surrounded by seven smaller stars. A woman bending on one knee who holds two vases upside down and from which two rivers run occupies the bottom of the card. Next to this woman is a butterfly on a flower.

It is purely Egyptian.

This Star, par excellence, is the Dog Star or Sirius: a star that rises when the Sun leaves the sign of Cancer, in which the preceding card finishes, & which this Star immediately follows.

The seven stars that surround it and that seem to form its court are the planets: it is to some extent their Queen, since the beginning of the year is fixed by the moment of its rising; they seem to approach to receive its orders that they may regulate their courses by it.

The Lady who is below, & extremely attentive in this moment to pour out the water of her vases, is the Queen of Heaven, Isis, to whose benevolence was attributed the flooding of the Nile, which starts with the rising of the Dog Star; thus by its rising the inundation was advertised. For this reason the Dog Star was dedicated to Isis, as her symbol par excellence.

As the beginning of the year coincided with the rising of this Star, they called it Soth-Is, opening of the year; & it is under this name that it was dedicated to Isis.

Lastly, the Flower & the Butterfly which it supports, were the emblem of regeneration & resurrection: they represent the hope that through the favour and kindness of Isis at this time, with the rising of the Dog Star, the naked fields of Egypt will be clothed in a new harvest. "

Ligator

The death: the world... Could be that she was challenged by the things this card implies. That is: THE WORLD REVERSED! Stagnation, limitedness, things were incomplete... Bedause this was how her life ended. Not as a failure (not the Tower) but as something incomplete. A grand plan that failed but she accomplished a lot!

By the way... In my tarot notebokk there are some references to Isis in connection to this card. I dont know from what source but it is understandable if one looks at the myth about Isis and osiris. So you happened to get two Isis cards in your reading!

She died as an unfullfilled Isis, perhaps?

Ligator

PS

I like your idea to read for dead people and will follow it closely! Especially since you had so much "luck" with this first reading. The isis connection!

Alamaris

silverr said:
I think you're right on the Knight of Wands indicating movement, energy, adventure. I'd probably change that position away from "where" and more to "what," like what activities, projects, intentions the person may be involved with. That might be easier to interpret than trying for a location outside of spacetime.
This is a great idea -- thank you! I'll change this in the readings to come. :D

Ligator, thank you for your contribution! You brought up some excellent points for me to consider, especially reading the World as reversed... it makes me wonder if I'd used reversals, would the World have come up reversed? Hmm.

reine de saba, thank you as well! "The World game" makes a lot of sense.

Demon Goddess

Alamaris, I don't know if this has any bearing, but it might... I thought of it as I was reading the cards as you wrote, so I figured, I should share it.

When my spirit guide chose the card to describe herself, she showed me the Page of Wands, when I asked her to show me Jesus (the spirit not the Christian Church icon), she showed me a reversed page of Wands... I can't imagine How the Knight might differ from the two, but I got the sense that whereas melody was a spirit who had never had a body, as the page, and Jesus is a spirit who overcame his body as the page reversed, the Knight would certainly move onto being a spirit either actively living in a body or one in transition to a new body...

I think a question I would edit may be, what was the greatest thing you learned or greatest accomplishment of your life? Or something along those lines.