Forest Folklore - Eight of Swords

rcb30872

A giant surrounded by swords, kneeling, blind folded, and hands tied behind his back. The imp seems to want to get his attention, but he does nothing. His legs are not tied. All he would have to do is stand up, and step over the swords, but yet he does nothing. Sort of makes me think that one could be stuck in a situation, which you are bigger than that, but for some reason you don't seem to be able to see that. Almost like one is putting you down, making you feel smaller than you actually are, whether that is emotional, mental or physical abuse. Seems to indicate that there is a need for the other person to control you, make it seem like they need you, when in fact they need you.

Rede Seeker

At last - it's a Man....

One of the points I love about Forest Folklore is the way it incorporates a fuller spectrum of age in the people represented and choice of male versus female characters for different cards. The Eight of Swords most often depicts a bound woman surrounded by swords. At last - it's a man...

Our bound man looks to be in good shape, healthy, uninjured - his expression is one of peace if not gentle humor. If he's bound, it's by his choice. I think this is the reason for the character to be Male rather than the traditional Female. He is an active player in this scene and he chooses his position. Perhaps the Imp is tempting him to slip his bonds. There is no one to see. The man can do as he pleases.

The image is of a sun rising (assuming the right-hand side of the card is East) over troubled skies. A new day dawns, the clouds are dissipating - yes, there is a 'red sky in the morning' - some storm is coming.

I can rede this card either way. The bound man is blissfully ignorant of the situation he is in and the Imp is trying to explain the importance of escape. An alternative rede is that the man is willing to stick it out where he is. Not an enviable position at the moment, but change is coming. Either rede works for me and in both redes, I do not see the Imp as being a trouble-maker. The more time I spend with Forest Folklore Swords, the stronger the 'fetch' vibe is with that little winged red guy. The Imp is advisor, not emissary of an advisary for me.

rcb30872

I never did view the imp as a "bad guy" but people I read for, and posted the image of the card for them to look at, they always go I don't like the red imp, and then I say to them the red imp is in all the sword cards. Funny that we assume things and put two and two together, without getting the full story.