Reine de Coupes (Queen of Cups) - how may it be read?

Moonbow

[reposted since the forum crash]

In this version there seems to be a corridor behind her and I am always intrigued by the canapy over her head, which in some decks looks more like a window (with bars?).

Flornoy’s Noblet: .............................The Hadar with 'window':

cups13fz6.jpg
roynedecoupesxt6.jpg

That’s a huge cup and the lid is on to keep the contents from spilling. We could read this Queen as having a huge heart, deeply in love. She also looks isolated to me, as though she is waiting. Quite a romantic card with a touch of sadness. Depending on the situation being read about this could also be read as someone who puts their heart into a project.

Rafaël

the Grail, a unicorn, this must be Mary Magdalene!!

Hi Moonbow,

I’m very intrigued by this card too. I never saw that window with bars on the Hadar Reyne de Coupe!! Thanks for drawing my attention to it.

reinedecoupe.jpg

The Camoin version of this card puts a whole new perspective here… (I didn’t find the Conver to look at the difference yet, maybe this evening) because he sees the corn of a unicorn in her sword:

licornecamoin.jpg

Since she holds the grail and the (uni)corn (= a symbol of Christ) she has to be Mary Magdalene…

What d'you think?

R.

Lucifers Mum

Not Mary Magdelane

The queen of cups represents the traditional "good wife" she is a prisoner of her own device (dig). You would hardly expect her to be unconditionally happy.
I saw the corridor as a stylised tree representing fertility. I see the cup representing the cup of cheer, hospitality and security.
The cup is positively bursting with fecundity.
Mary Magdelane was a hot chick but not wife material. Read the bible and pluck other names out. Salome could shake her cuchi

Moonbow

Hi Rafaël and Lucifers Mum, some great thoughts on this card!

Mary Magdelane is not the first association I think of, nor an image of a good wife when thinking about how this card could be read. I try not to put any known story or person to the card but to look at the card itself so that I don't get a pre-conceived meaning when I read. Though, I'm sure those connections could be made, and the card sequence with the unicorn is interesting to mull over too.

I can see cups as representing fecundity in terms of abundance, although associations with fertility just remind me of the WCS or Golden Dawn meanings which, although I don't deliberately dismiss I like to look beyond to find other meanings. At the moment I can see her as a lonely young bride, tomorrow that may change.

Lucifers Mum

Moonbow

I have a fondness for the golden dawn: i think she's a bit old to be a new bride.
I think I view the cup as a loving cup (sexual imagery) rather than a container , I accept that we all have different ideas. Universal cuddle.

yaraluna

Lucifers Mum said:
Mary Magdelane was a hot chick but not wife material. Read the bible and pluck other names out. Salome could shake her cuchi
OT kind of....
Lucifers Mum (interesting name to say the least)

I quietly read some post when I have the time. I sometimes answer to some post if I feel I have something to add. In this case, this comment seem to be based on the belief of MM being a prostitute. IF you read the Bible, you will not find Magdalene as the "prostitute" people are made to believe she is. and no, my opinion is not based on the Da Vinci code but in my personal experience as a "recovering catholic/christian" :) among other things...
So, the suggestion that the Queen can be MM, is plausible.

Melanchollic

Queens are of course the classic Lunar symbol, which is associated with Elemental Water (not actual water of course), and the watery Phlegmatic temperament.

The tradition calls something 'Water' when it has the tendencies to have Moist energy, and Cold energy.

Cups are the instrument to serve and imbibe drink. They are emblematic of sociability, pleasures, and the forming of bonds and allegiances (marriage, the divine bond of the Eucharist, etc.) These qualities would be Sanguine according to classical tradition, the Sanguine having the tendencies to have Moist and Warm energy (Elemental Aire).

The Queen of Cups would combine these two tendencies to have a Sanguine-Phlegmatic temperament. The common link between these two is Moist energy. Hence we could deduce the Queen of Cups would behave in a 'moist' way.

Moist energy, the tradition deems as ~ a lack of self determination, of short duration, conforming to surroundings, receptive, adaptive, form receiving, flexible, mercurial, unreliable, indefinite, lacking self-control, agile, gentle, obedient, conforming, passive, yielding, accommodating, weak, sensitive, understanding, kind, compassionate.

If we follow the associations found in astrology and alchemy, we'd have ~ the Northeasterly direction, the months of February and March, the time between midnight and dawn, and the period between 70 years of age and death in the life cycle.

The Queen's rank, and the traditional positive nature of the suit of Cups would give her an exalted status, and she would embody the more positive aspects of the Water-Air axis. Therefore, I would say our lady is receptive, understanding, compassionate, fashionable and knowledgeable on current trends and attitude (the positive aspects of conformity), of pleasant disposition, well liked, and sociable.

In 'Yes/No' questions - generally a 'Yes'.

In general questions of timing - an unknown time of initiation, of a short duration.

In questions of months - February or March.

In questions of time of day - between midnight and dawn.

In questions of age - over 70.

In questions of location - Northeast, moist and steamy places.

In questions of weather - foggy, misty, light precipitation.

SolSionnach

OT: good to see you here again, Melanchollic! :)

Melanchollic

sravana said:
...good to see you here again, Melanchollic!

Ah! Sravana! (Speaking of the Queen of Cups...) :heart: :heart: :heart:

Yes. Finally some free time...

Bernice

Mel: As sravana says = Good to see you again :)

[...and I see you're in top form, you're flirting with 'Vana!)

Bee :)