Initial Thoth reading

SolSionnach

This self-reading is part of my IDS with the Thoth. Comments are welcome.

My question: how do I deal with my inertia - my inability to just *do* what I need and want to get done?
3 cards: the Cause of the Problem, the Nature of the Problem, the Solution to the Problem.

Cause of the Problem: Queen of Disks
http://taroteca.multiply.com/photos/album/99/Thoth#69.jpg
I notice that this queen is typically majestic in her bearing, but she's looking backwards into a barren desert-like vista. There is a river running through it, and all the palm trees seem to be in sets of three. Capricorn's goat stands next to her, balancing himself high on a disc of sorts. The greenery around her comprises her throne, and bends around her in a protective manner.

I see this card as indicating that my inertia has to do with my tendency to look to the past, seeing how bleak it was, and projecting that to the future. In fact, by dwelling on the past, I make my future in it's image. A bleak image, at that.

Nature of the Problem: Princess of Swords
http://taroteca.multiply.com/photos/album/99/Thoth#93.jpg
Oh my. Where the Queen is passive in her attitude, the Princess is violently active. She is sailing through the air, with the Thoth 4-sided "crystal" in front of her. This crystal appears throughout the Swords suit - and in Thoth the Swords are Air and have to do with thought in it's most unemotional and cutting meaning. I look at this card and suddenly see the Princess tilting at windmills - to much going on, too many choices, and indeed, there is really no "enemy" there. There is a tendency in my to stay in my head and froth about with choices, ideas - generally too many at a time. So I am overwhelmed by my swirling thoughts, and unable to see my way ahead.

Solution to the Problem: Knight of Wands
http://taroteca.multiply.com/photos/album/99/Thoth#155.jpg
This Knight is a real go-getter. He's all Fire, and has mastery of whatever he's doing. When I look at the three cards in sequence, I see motion from passive, through flailingly active, to directionally active. That being said, they are all facing to the left - the direction of the past. I intuit that my inertia has to do with my past - experiences and conclusions that I drew from those experiences which I haven't dealt with properly. The Knight's horse is LEAPING up - Jump in with both feet. Just do it. No, I don't really see this Knight as a "Nike" guy, but I think that's a big part of the message here.

The cards also literally show my astrological chart - I have Virgo/earth Sun (Queen of Disks), Aquarius/air Moon (Princess of Swords) and am Leo/fire rising (Knight of Wands).

Another thing I notice is that there are 2 female cards in the Problem, and a male card in the Solution - while the Princess is active, it seems that calling upon my Animus ( in Jungian terms) for help with this intertia could be a big part of the solution.

I also previously drew a Card of the Day - the Magus
http://taroteca.multiply.com/photos/album/99/Thoth#163.jpg

(Wow, that card on taroteca has an interesting border! I've never seen a Thoth card with a border like that!)
The Magus is all about making things happen, he has everything he needs at his disposal, and he's playful. Me? I'm very very very serious. Time to play? Note: the Magician has the astrological attribution of Mercury - the ruler of my Sun in Virgo.

Lots of connections here - I think I'm going to love working with this deck again!

Alta

Cause of the Problem: Queen of Disks

Nature of the Problem: Princess of Swords

Solution to the Problem: Knight of Wands

I'll try but it has been quite a while since I used the deck.

Cause of the problem: you find it hard to exert yourself in a project that does not call on your highest feelings of value or worth. Something that just 'needs to be done' for any of the world's sillier reasons just cause you to feel tired and unmotivated.

Another aspect is that this queen, unlike she of wands for example, really doesn't like to charge out into the world and prefers the comfort of home and familiarity.

Nature of the Problem: being earth of air is a fairly tricky position. A volatile quick moving mind more or less pinned in position. Some anger here, and a certain aspect of exacting revenge for the past.

So, the issue of being of stuck in place is making you angry (for all sorts of reasons and maybe turned on yourself) but you haven't found an outlet that satisfies you enough to really follow through.

Solution to the Problem: Now this is fire of fire, release and forward motion. The spark of spirit and the genius of an idea.

But the aspect one is of moving swiftly through danger and always with the risk of getting stuck and drowning.

The trouble with difficult situations is that they can feel constraining and very dark. This card shows you that you have to move quickly but always 'watching the currents' and being flexible to what crosses your path.

The first two cards are aspects of being that either don't like to move or are pinned in place. The latter by your own mental paradigm of what is what. The last aspect advocates swift action and the spark of an idea.

I also previously drew a Card of the Day - the Magus:

Being the male correlation of the inner High priestess, he is an active worldly principle, and with Mercury as one of his sigs, quick thinking and volatile. Fluid like Mercury goes back to previous card which suggests both quickness and adaptability (and that latter is important.... the key is to not be stopped, but to assess and adapt to any obstacle, and do it quickly but with enough forethought to succeed). Another aspect of Mercury is writing and verbal communication, which is sometimes related to trickery and fiction.

SolSionnach

Thanks, Alta... so much of this is spot on.
Alta said:
Cause of the problem: you find it hard to exert yourself in a project that does not call on your highest feelings of value or worth. Something that just 'needs to be done' for any of the world's sillier reasons just cause you to feel tired and unmotivated.

Another aspect is that this queen, unlike she of wands for example, really doesn't like to charge out into the world and prefers the comfort of home and familiarity.
I used to get the Q/Disks all the time in this position, back when I was reading more regularly for myself - and this was in whatever deck I was using.
I have a lot of "busy stuff" that needs to get done for my business, and no, I'm not psyched about it. I also am an extreme homebody - that's a huge problem for me as I'm single and don't get out as much as I should to meet people. But that wasn't the subject of the reading, just another tangent... but it also feeds my sense of inertia, because I have to act against my nature to be successful, seemingly (again, my astro chart is a bowl chart, with every planet below the horizon except for UR, which is conjunct the Asc from the 12th.) That being said, finding a way to be successful within my own nature would be the optimal solution.
Alta said:
Nature of the Problem: being earth of air is a fairly tricky position. A volatile quick moving mind more or less pinned in position. Some anger here, and a certain aspect of exacting revenge for the past.

So, the issue of being of stuck in place is making you angry (for all sorts of reasons and maybe turned on yourself) but you haven't found an outlet that satisfies you enough to really follow through.
I guess I have a hard time seeing this card as a "stuck" card, but now that you mention it, earth of air can have a stuck quality. I've definitely been dealing with some anger turned inward (read: depression) and that definitely adds to the sense of inertia that I'm asking about. Not sure about the revenge bit, though.
Alta said:
Solution to the Problem: Now this is fire of fire, release and forward motion. The spark of spirit and the genius of an idea.

But the aspect one is of moving swiftly through danger and always with the risk of getting stuck and drowning.

The trouble with difficult situations is that they can feel constraining and very dark. This card shows you that you have to move quickly but always 'watching the currents' and being flexible to what crosses your path.
I'm uncomfortable with the idea of "danger" here... unless I take it as having to do with the economy. I do have another job, but it may not last the year. And I do want to build my business. Moving fast, eh?
Alta said:
The first two cards are aspects of being that either don't like to move or are pinned in place. The latter by your own mental paradigm of what is what. The last aspect advocates swift action and the spark of an idea.

I also previously drew a Card of the Day - the Magus:

Being the male correlation of the inner High priestess, he is an active worldly principle, and with Mercury as one of his sigs, quick thinking and volatile. Fluid like Mercury goes back to previous card which suggests both quickness and adaptability (and that latter is important.... the key is to not be stopped, but to assess and adapt to any obstacle, and do it quickly but with enough forethought to succeed). Another aspect of Mercury is writing and verbal communication, which is sometimes related to trickery and fiction.
Oh, I see where you're going with the danger thing now - keeping moving, fluidly around any obstacle. Another thing - what I need to do is some *writing* (Mercury)- re-vamping my website and putting out more info on my biz on the healthprofs site. I've been needing to do that for months, yet I avoid just sitting down and doing it.

The cards are saying "to hell with Thy inertia, get Moving!", it seems to me. I can see where my inertia is coming from - my own mental/physical tendencies (+ fear of the future, therefore always looking back?).