Aeclectic Tarot
Dedicated to the diversity and beauty of Tarot since 1996

· Decks   · Readings   · Forum   · Home
Tarot Decks Tarot Card Meanings Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Forum Community What's New Home

Aeclectic Tarot Forum > Tarot Special Interest > Thoth Tarot > Golden Dawn Traditions

Welcome to the Aeclectic Tarot Forum!

We are the oldest and largest Tarot forum community on the Internet. If you have any questions about any aspect of Tarot or using your cards, or you just want to connect with other Tarot enthusiasts, you've found the right place!

Registering is completely free, and allows you to post, search, watch threads and more. Hope to see you in the forum soon!

Wee_Gypsy 
Citizen

Help? Just obtained Victorian Occult Antique item??

Help? I have an Occult antique from the late 1800s....
(the dealer said 1880-1900)
Here are the pictures of it, below---

http://www.flickr.com/photos/5838629...in/photostream

I had recenly come across this item from an antiques vendor an just had to get it (it was a pure accident! but a good one )
It is a metals book case (kind of arts and crafts how it is made) to house a magickal grimiore (I am assuming) with a penticle the 2 Pillars on either side of the Penticle in the middle, with an art nueveo type design around it.
I have just begun my studies of High magick (I am a n00b) and this is why I am asking for other peoples thoughts

As I have been reading the history of the Golden Dawn and other Magickal groups, as well as studying the Occult----I see lots of handmade Tailsmans, Banners (with the light and life cross and the 6 pointed star on them), hand painted tree of life diagrams, lotus wands and other magickal tools which of course were are all requirements to hand make magickal tools (and still are)
but I have never seen a box to house a grimiore or magickal texts either in modern or recents books (ex) the Circero's ''Secrets of a Golden Dawn Temple'')--where they show you how to contstruct the magickal tools

OR even in historical resources, like the Witch Museam in Bostcastle (which I have been to) or The Yeats exhibit in The Library of Ireland they have online....ect

For all of you here on AT whom are more familiar with the Occult, do you have any idea about this box, would they have made a case to house a magickal book, perhaps for ceramony with in a temple or magickal group...It is just so fascinating to think about, and since the item had no written provonance...it got me wondering

Thanks
Wee_Gypsy

Old 08-01-2012 Need help fast? Chat with a live Tarot reader now!     Top   #1

Ads by Google
via Google Adsense

#ADS
Always Wondering 
Citizen

It's beautiful.

I was struck that the pentagram is tilted, as if to point out the two letter like symbols. They could be the sun and the moon, though I don't often see a half sun symbol, and the moon seems to be waning instead of waxing. Or visa versa, now that I think about it. Maybe they are two moons?

On it's side, they look like letters, but I don't recognize them as Hebrew. That doesn't say much though, I haven't seen a whole lot of Hebrew.

Interesting. I hope you get some answers. This fourm is tucked away a little out of sight, so don't get discouraged if they are slow in coming.

AW

Old 08-01-2012 Need help fast? Chat with a live Tarot reader now!     Top   #2
Bhavana 
Citizen

I know nothing about it, but it is beautiful! If you can't get any info here, you could try looking online for collectors of antique/vintage occult items...
Bhavana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012 Need help fast? Chat with a live Tarot reader now!     Top   #3
Wee_Gypsy 
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always Wondering View Post
It's beautiful.

I was struck that the pentagram is tilted, as if to point out the two letter like symbols. They could be the sun and the moon, though I don't often see a half sun symbol, and the moon seems to be waning instead of waxing. Or visa versa, now that I think about it. Maybe they are two moons?

On it's side, they look like letters, but I don't recognize them as Hebrew. That doesn't say much though, I haven't seen a whole lot of Hebrew.

Interesting. I hope you get some answers. This fourm is tucked away a little out of sight, so don't get discouraged if they are slow in coming.

AW
It looks like D U in english-I only started learning the herbrew alphabet and attributes, but people would sometimes go by magickal names,ect....so it may be hard to pin a name on anyhow

I am pleased with it regardless (why I had to have it)

I just thought I would post it up here on AT in case someones knew more about it and could shed some light on it, it would be interesting.

Either way I love it though, I guess thats whats most important

Old 08-01-2012 Need help fast? Chat with a live Tarot reader now!     Top   #4
Wee_Gypsy 
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhavana View Post
I know nothing about it, but it is beautiful! If you can't get any info here, you could try looking online for collectors of antique/vintage occult items...
May do that-
But, thats how I was when I saw it---its pretty! I am going to buy it
eventhough I dont know much about it in the way history behind it, who owned it ect

Old 08-01-2012 Need help fast? Chat with a live Tarot reader now!     Top   #5
roppo 
Oujupah Unveiled

I've never seen such book-cases in the occult ceremonies. The real GD papers are prosaic notebooks with the labels "These papers are private and have been lent to me ... " on the front covers, and nothing similar to the ancient vellum Necronomicon types

The book case is obviously a product of skilled craftman. Such work should bear the small marks showing the company, placename, date, material etc. Please try to find them.

Old 08-01-2012 Need help fast? Chat with a live Tarot reader now!     Top   #6
Wee_Gypsy 
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by roppo View Post
I've never seen such book-cases in the occult ceremonies. The real GD papers are prosaic notebooks with the labels "These papers are private and have been lent to me ... " on the front covers, and nothing similar to the ancient vellum Necronomicon types

The book case is obviously a product of skilled craftman. Such work should bear the small marks showing the company, placename, date, material etc. Please try to find them.
There isnt a makers mark, Occult practices were illegal in the UK until 1950 (which the box is clearly older than that) - so It doesnt suprise me....its not like you could send it off to crafter in Birmingham or London....and say um could you make me an Occult, or Witchcraft type book case.
No makers mark --unfortunitly there is just the initials
Thanks though

Old 09-01-2012 Need help fast? Chat with a live Tarot reader now!     Top   #7