Parent Spread by Glass Owl

Amanda

Had to try this, because I haven't seen many of these kinds of spreads around. Thought it was a good one. :)

Tarot of a Moon Garden

---5---
-1---2-
--3-4--

I Am A Parent Spread (5) by Glass Owl

1. What greatest gift do I offer as a parent? - Knight of Pentacles
2. What greatest challenge do I face as a parent? - 4 of Swords
3. What lessons have I learned as a parent? - Hierophant
4. What lessons do I have yet to learn as a parent? - 2 of Pentacles
5. What assists me (or could assist me) in being the most successful, loving, and nurturing parent I can be? - 3 of Staffs (Wands)
(Sum: Temperance)

The Knight of Pentacles is described in the LWB as "A mature and responsible person. Reliable. Methodical. Patient. Persistent. Ability to conclude a task. Laborious. Organized." But when I drew this card, my main thought was that my greatest gift is consistency. We all know kids need consistency.

As soon as I pulled the 4 of Swords, I thought "discipline". I remembered a story that Thirteen shared once about this card, where knights who had been in battle would come back to a tomb and think about why God let them live. So I don't know if it was the "time-out" aspect of this card that made me think of that, but I think it's saying my greatest challenge is disciplining my children. That is one thing I have a hard time being consistent with... my husband says I'm a pushover, and I have a tendency more than he does to spoil them.

That last notion also goes along with the Hierophant- I'm still learning how to properly discipline them... and maybe still establishing my parental persona with them? It's a Major, so I feel it is something I am still doing and haven't mastered yet. Or mastered maybe bits of. I have become a pretty good "teacher" to them as far as school studies go. Education is important to me, and I may be passing along that value.

The 2 of Pentacles- not sure... balancing their separate needs? Up to this point they are close in age, one is a boy and one is a girl... I imagine as they get older they will go down more separate paths, and need more differentiated things from me.

I'm a little confused on the 3 of Wands as well- I like to try to consider what the LWB says when I am using a deck that is newer to me... but this one only says, "Practical knowledge. Business acumen. etc." Unless it's just reiterating the use of common sense... or maybe my professional knowledge of business can help me with discipline.

Temperance may suggest I am a good influence, though my husband is probably the better disciplinarian.

Any other thoughts welcome. :)

Anastacia

It is a nice spread.
Tarot of a Moon Garden

---5---
-1---2-
--3-4--

1. What greatest gift do I offer as a parent? - Knight of Pentacles
2. What greatest challenge do I face as a parent? - 4 of Swords
3. What lessons have I learned as a parent? - Hierophant
4. What lessons do I have yet to learn as a parent? - 2 of Pentacles
5. What assists me (or could assist me) in being the most successful, loving, and nurturing parent I can be? - 3 of Staffs (Wands)
(Sum: Temperance)

The Knight of Pentacles is described in the LWB as "A mature and responsible person. Reliable. Methodical. Patient. Persistent. Ability to conclude a task. Laborious. Organized." But when I drew this card, my main thought was that my greatest gift is consistency. We all know kids need consistency.
That's a nice gift - the knight here brings to mind the steady patient work of ploughing, planting, tending - you're there for the long haul for your kids.

As soon as I pulled the 4 of Swords, I thought "discipline". I remembered a story that Thirteen shared once about this card, where knights who had been in battle would come back to a tomb and think about why God let them live. So I don't know if it was the "time-out" aspect of this card that made me think of that, but I think it's saying my greatest challenge is disciplining my children. That is one thing I have a hard time being consistent with... my husband says I'm a pushover, and I have a tendency more than he does to spoil them.

I think I'd go with a more basic 'many sleepless nights with no time to rest and recover'. Maybe you have a need to recharge your batteries with silence and meditation - kids don't always understand that need.
I also think about illness with this card - how are you when they are sick, or how well do you cope when you yourself are sick.

That last notion also goes along with the Hierophant- I'm still learning how to properly discipline them... and maybe still establishing my parental persona with them? It's a Major, so I feel it is something I am still doing and haven't mastered yet. Or mastered maybe bits of. I have become a pretty good "teacher" to them as far as school studies go. Education is important to me, and I may be passing along that value.
nothing to add.

The 2 of Pentacles- not sure... balancing their separate needs? Up to this point they are close in age, one is a boy and one is a girl... I imagine as they get older they will go down more separate paths, and need more differentiated things from me.
That makes sense. I'd also bounce this 2 of pents against that Knight of Pents - because the Knight is not so happy about juggling things, so that is a challenge. Comparing those two pictures is enlightening - that knight has all his focus looking straight at the pentacle. The 2 is dressed like the fool - one pentacle is up high, so he looks up at it - it seems less attainable than the pentacle the Knight looks at. Then behind his back is another pentacle, already in the air. 'Eyes in the back of your head' comes to mind, also 'playing one person/thing off another.'

I'm a little confused on the 3 of Wands as well- I like to try to consider what the LWB says when I am using a deck that is newer to me... but this one only says, "Practical knowledge. Business acumen. etc." Unless it's just reiterating the use of common sense... or maybe my professional knowledge of business can help me with discipline.
Look at the movement from 2 to 4
2 - the lesson to learn (pents)
3 - the resource (wands)
4 - the challenge (swords)
This three is also being prepared to invest and wait to see the returns. The 3 of wands waiting is more active than the 4 of swords type of pause - so maybe being prepared to think on your feet and expect a response, rather than needing to take time out to meditate over solutions.

ETA: Just noticed that 10 of cups type rainbow in the Temperance card - and I had been wondering where the cups were in your spread.

SA12

1. What greatest gift do I offer as a parent? - Knight of Pentacles - Calm, patient and consistent; and the kids probably feel like you are easy to talk to.

2. What greatest challenge do I face as a parent? - 4 of Swords - I don't think this is about discipline -- I think this means you need to learn how to back away and give yourself a break.

3. What lessons have I learned as a parent? - Hierophant - Since this is a Major Arcanum, I think this means in the broader sense that have learned how to be an unselfish, inspiring teacher to your children, and have also been given a more profound appreciation of tradition and community.

4. What lessons do I have yet to learn as a parent? - 2 of Pentacles - I don't have Moon Garden tarot, but in rws, it's the juggling dance! I think everyone struggles with the up/down/sideways 2 of Pentacles, with so many obligations and not enough hours in the day. Don't forget to make *you* a priority too (4 of Swords!) and take time to laugh at what would otherwise make you cry...

5. What assists me (or could assist me) in being the most successful, loving, and nurturing parent I can be? - 3 of Staffs (Wands) - I think this means you have a great deal of vision and hope that you transmute consciously and unconsciously to your children -- so have confidence!

(Sum: Temperance) Well, mothers /are/ alchemists, attorneys, teachers and healers after all ;) No surprise here...

Amanda

I will leave proper feedback within the hour when I get home. :)

starrystarrynight

I like the way you read these cards, Amanda. What came to me about the Three of Wands is the fact that you are doing all the other energies from the other cards in a way that will give your children, when the time comes, the ability to sail out into the world and seek their own best opportunities. But you will continue to stand behind, gazing out over the horizon because you know they will be back bearing the "goods" of what you have instilled in them as a good parent. (It isn't easy to hold back and let them sail away, but this Three says to me that they will be back. They will always be back.)

Nice reading.

Amanda

It is a nice spread.

That's a nice gift - the knight here brings to mind the steady patient work of ploughing, planting, tending - you're there for the long haul for your kids.

Most definitely. :)

I think I'd go with a more basic 'many sleepless nights with no time to rest and recover'. Maybe you have a need to recharge your batteries with silence and meditation - kids don't always understand that need.
I also think about illness with this card - how are you when they are sick, or how well do you cope when you yourself are sick.

Yes, recharging I need. I never get sick; I think it stems from some belief hidden deep somewhere that I'm indestructible.. LOL! I know when my daughter was an infant she got sick once or twice and I couldn't let her go- it was very hard to just use the restroom those times... she didn't want her dad and she didn't want to be put down at all... thankfully they don't seem to get sick too often... :)

That makes sense. I'd also bounce this 2 of pents against that Knight of Pents - because the Knight is not so happy about juggling things, so that is a challenge. Comparing those two pictures is enlightening - that knight has all his focus looking straight at the pentacle. The 2 is dressed like the fool - one pentacle is up high, so he looks up at it - it seems less attainable than the pentacle the Knight looks at. Then behind his back is another pentacle, already in the air. 'Eyes in the back of your head' comes to mind, also 'playing one person/thing off another.'

LOL - Good point... my daughter is already starting to try her hand at playing us, and she's only going to be 7! (But she is a Gemini, and they can be tricky little devils ;) ) I got home tonight to find my digital camera sitting out on my desk... of course, there were pictures of random things in the house to let me know that my daughter had been doing some photography tonight. LOL

Look at the movement from 2 to 4
2 - the lesson to learn (pents)
3 - the resource (wands)
4 - the challenge (swords)
This three is also being prepared to invest and wait to see the returns. The 3 of wands waiting is more active than the 4 of swords type of pause - so maybe being prepared to think on your feet and expect a response, rather than needing to take time out to meditate over solutions.

Interesting assessment, and "..it's only just beguuun.." :D Hopefully I won't have to be too quick on my feet by bailing them out of jail some time in the middle of the night. LOL

ETA: Just noticed that 10 of cups type rainbow in the Temperance card - and I had been wondering where the cups were in your spread.

I'll be the first to admit I'm a more practical type. I show my affection through their physical needs a lot of the time... make sure their eating well, groomed, learning- but they can make me laugh and we play games- I think a lot of what I want for them that motivates how I respond to them, is to love themselves.

Thank you Anastacia :)

Amanda

1. What greatest gift do I offer as a parent? - Knight of Pentacles - Calm, patient and consistent; and the kids probably feel like you are easy to talk to.

Easy to talk to.. easy to pushover.. LOL - My daughter left me a note the other night when she knew my husband would be going into work on third... it said, "Mommy, Wake me up when Daddy is gone. Love, Cady" - she knows when Dad is not there, she can steal his spot in bed and snuggle with me. LOL

2. What greatest challenge do I face as a parent? - 4 of Swords - I don't think this is about discipline -- I think this means you need to learn how to back away and give yourself a break.

Just when I feel I wasn't as present as I should be.. lol - This new job has gotten me that break I think.. through the week I only see my daughter for literally half an hour or so now between the time she gets home from school and I leave for work. Except Mondays and Tuesdays, if I'm not filling in for someone, I'm home.

3. What lessons have I learned as a parent? - Hierophant - Since this is a Major Arcanum, I think this means in the broader sense that have learned how to be an unselfish, inspiring teacher to your children, and have also been given a more profound appreciation of tradition and community.

They changed me a great deal as far as opening my heart. I used to be a lot worse. LOL Residue from my teenage years before I had my children I think (had them when I was 19 and almost 21).

4. What lessons do I have yet to learn as a parent? - 2 of Pentacles - I don't have Moon Garden tarot, but in rws, it's the juggling dance! I think everyone struggles with the up/down/sideways 2 of Pentacles, with so many obligations and not enough hours in the day. Don't forget to make *you* a priority too (4 of Swords!) and take time to laugh at what would otherwise make you cry...

Sounds about right to me! LOL I'm starting to see now that I have no choice but to be extremely flexible... and already I'm becoming a little more stress-free by having more of a 'just go with it' mindset in my life in general.. lol

5. What assists me (or could assist me) in being the most successful, loving, and nurturing parent I can be? - 3 of Staffs (Wands) - I think this means you have a great deal of vision and hope that you transmute consciously and unconsciously to your children -- so have confidence!

That's probably right. I know when they ask, I try to explain things to them in great detail before letting them figure out the rest on their own.

(Sum: Temperance) Well, mothers /are/ alchemists, attorneys, teachers and healers after all ;) No surprise here...

I hear ya. :)

Thanks!

Amanda

I like the way you read these cards, Amanda. What came to me about the Three of Wands is the fact that you are doing all the other energies from the other cards in a way that will give your children, when the time comes, the ability to sail out into the world and seek their own best opportunities. But you will continue to stand behind, gazing out over the horizon because you know they will be back bearing the "goods" of what you have instilled in them as a good parent. (It isn't easy to hold back and let them sail away, but this Three says to me that they will be back. They will always be back.)

Nice reading.

Wow starry, nice take on that card! Thank you :)