Aeclectic Tarot
Dedicated to the diversity and beauty of Tarot since 1996


    · Tarot Decks   · Tarot Meanings   · Tarot Forum   · Home

Tarot Gallery Tarot Card Meanings Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Community What's New

  Aeclectic Tarot Forum > Tarot Special Interest > Thoth Tarot

Welcome to the Aeclectic Tarot Forum!

We are the oldest and largest Tarot forum community on the Internet. If you have any questions about any aspect of Tarot or using your cards, or you just want to connect with other Tarot enthusiasts, you've found the right place!

Registering your account is completely free, and allows you to post, share readings, search, view extra boards and more.

Hope to see you in the forum soon!


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Grigori 
formerly similia
Moderator
 
Grigori's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11 Dec 2004
Location: Aussie boy, born and bred
Posts: 7,604
The Book of The Law Study Group 3.49


Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiwass
49. I am in a secret fourfold word, the blasphemy against all gods of men.
http://www.sacred-texts.com/oto/index.htm
http://hermetic.com/crowley/index.html
http://lib.oto-usa.org/libri/liber0220.html

Other threads in this study group



__________________
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died
Grigori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2012 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #1
Always Wondering 
Citizen
 
Always Wondering's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04 Mar 2008
Location: The North State
Posts: 1,553

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Book Of Lies Chapter 2
THE CRY OF THE HAWK
Hoor hath a secret fourfold name: it is Do What
Thou Wilt.3
Four Words: Naught—One—Many—All.
Thou—Child!
Thy Name is holy.
Thy Kingdom is come.
Thy Will is done.
Here is the Bread.
Here is the Blood.
Bring us through Temptation!
Deliver us from Good and Evil!
That Mine as Thine be the Crown of the Kingdom,
even now.
ABRAHADABRA.
These ten words are four, the Name of the One.
Just a start.

AW



__________________
I will drink the ocean.
Always Wondering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2012 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #2
Aeon418 
Citizen
 
Aeon418's Avatar
 
Join Date: 30 Sep 2003
Location: Earth
Posts: 3,785

Crowley's commentary on that chapter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Book of Lies
COMMENTARY (Β)

The “Hawk” referred to is Horus.

The chapter begins with a comment on Liber Legis III, 49.

Those four words, Do What Thou Wilt, are also identified with the four possible modes of conceiving the universe; Horus unites these.

Follows a version of the “Lord’s Prayer”, suitable to Horus. Compare this with the version in Chapter 44. There are ten sections in this prayer, and, as the prayer is attributed to Horus, they are called four, as above explained; but it is only the name of Horus which is fourfold; He himself is One.

This may be compared with the Qabalistic doctrine of the Ten Sephiroth as an expression of Tetragrammaton (1 plus 2 plus 3 plus 4 = 10).

It is now seen that this Hawk is not Solar, but Mercurial; hence the words, the Cry of the Hawk, the essential part of Mercury being his Voice; and the number of the chapter, B, which is Beth the letter of Mercury, the Magus of the Tarot, who has four weapons, and it must be remembered that this card is numbered 1, again connecting all these symbols with the Phallus.

The essential weapon of Mercury is the Caduceus.

NOTE

(3) Fourteen letters. Quid Voles Illud Fac. Q.V.I.F. 196 = 14(squared).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleister Crowley
The evident interpretation of this is to take the word to be "Do what thou wilt", which is a secret word, because its meaning for every man is his own inmost secret. And it is the most profound blasphemy possible against all 'gods of men', because it makes every man his own God.

We may then take it that this Solar-Phallic Ra-Ha is Each Man Himself. As each independent cell in our bodies is to us, so is each of us to Heru-ra-ha. Each man's 'child'-consciousness is a Star in the Cosmos of the Sun, as the Sun is a Star in the Cosmos of Nuit.



__________________
Ever as I went, hath it been thus. The truth of the profane was the falsehood of the Neophyte, and the truth of the Neophyte was the falsehood of the Zelator!
Aeon418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2012 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #3
Aeon418 
Citizen
 
Aeon418's Avatar
 
Join Date: 30 Sep 2003
Location: Earth
Posts: 3,785

I note that Jim Eshelman interprets the fourfold word as the tetragrammaton, I.H.V.H. I see no conflict between this and Crowley's interpretation.

Curiously enough III x 49 = 147, the numerical total of the four names used in the Lesser Ritual of the Pentagram.

I.H.V.H.(26) + ADNI(65) + AHIH(21) + AGLA(35) = 147.

The verse number (49 = 7 x 7) is the number of squares in the magical square of Venus. There are 14 words in this verse. The 14th path is Daleth - Venus. This may indicate the 'holier place' from which this verse is delivered. Also if 'Do what thou wilt' is the secret word then 'Love is the law.'

Crowley's mention of the winged Caduceus in conjunction with the path of Daleth(and it's colour, emerald green) makes me think of the opening of Liber Tzaddi.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liber Tzaddi
1. I fly and I alight as an hawk: of mother-of-emerald are my mighty-sweeping wings.
Do the wings of Horus stretch across the path of Daleth?

The phrase 'secret fourfold' is interesting. In Hebrew the word 'secret' is SVD = 70 (the Middle Pillar.) If we add 4 we get 74 which is the reference to both Atu III The Empress and Lamed/Libra (emerald green again.) The Woman justified by the Sword as a symbol of the Middle Pillar intersecting the path of Daleth.
This is verse 194. TzDQ = 194. Righteousness, equity, Justice.



__________________
Ever as I went, hath it been thus. The truth of the profane was the falsehood of the Neophyte, and the truth of the Neophyte was the falsehood of the Zelator!
Aeon418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2012 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #4
Always Wondering 
Citizen
 
Always Wondering's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04 Mar 2008
Location: The North State
Posts: 1,553

Quote:
It is now seen that this Hawk is not Solar, but Mercurial; hence the words, the Cry of the Hawk, the essential part of Mercury being his Voice; and the number of the chapter, B, which is Beth the letter of Mercury, the Magus of the Tarot, who has four weapons, and it must be remembered that this card is numbered 1, again connecting all these symbols with the Phallus.

The essential weapon of Mercury is the Caduceus.
This is a twist I don't understand very well.

AW



__________________
I will drink the ocean.
Always Wondering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2012 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #5
Always Wondering 
Citizen
 
Always Wondering's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04 Mar 2008
Location: The North State
Posts: 1,553

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeon418 View Post
I note that Jim Eshelman interprets the fourfold word as the tetragrammaton, I.H.V.H. I see no conflict between this and Crowley's interpretation.

Curiously enough III x 49 = 147, the numerical total of the four names used in the Lesser Ritual of the Pentagram.

I.H.V.H.(26) + ADNI(65) + AHIH(21) + AGLA(35) = 147.

The verse number (49 = 7 x 7) is the number of squares in the magical square of Venus. There are 14 words in this verse. The 14th path is Daleth - Venus. This may indicate the 'holier place' from which this verse is delivered. Also if 'Do what thou wilt' is the secret word then 'Love is the law.'

Crowley's mention of the winged Caduceus in conjunction with the path of Daleth(and it's colour, emerald green) makes me think of the opening of Liber Tzaddi.

Do the wings of Horus stretch across the path of Daleth?

The phrase 'secret fourfold' is interesting. In Hebrew the word 'secret' is SVD = 70 (the Middle Pillar.) If we add 4 we get 74 which is the reference to both Atu III The Empress and Lamed/Libra (emerald green again.) The Woman justified by the Sword as a symbol of the Middle Pillar intersecting the path of Daleth.
This is verse 194. TzDQ = 194. Righteousness, equity, Justice.
So much good stuff on this A'AYIN morning. How fun. But alot to process.


AW



__________________
I will drink the ocean.
Always Wondering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2012 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #6
Aeon418 
Citizen
 
Aeon418's Avatar
 
Join Date: 30 Sep 2003
Location: Earth
Posts: 3,785

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always Wondering View Post
This is a twist I don't understand very well.
Is it the Solar - Mercury thing you don't get? Until you reply I will assume it is because it can be a little confusing until you get your head around it.

In a way the Sun and Mercury are interchangeable because there's a lot of overlap between them. When we think of the Sun as the solar center we also think of the sun as the child and mediator between the father and mother. But this also true of Mercury who mediates between Father-Sulphur and Mother-Salt.
The Sun/Tiphareth is related to the element of Air through the letter Vav. But Mercury also relates to the element of Air.

Consider also how the Solar Christ is also the Word - the Mecurial Logos (Jesus in Greek, ιησους = 888) - in the gospel of John. In the current study verse we appear to be focusing on Horus as the Word.

Look at the Tree of Life. The Middle Pillar is the mediator and child of the two pillars on either side. Usually we would file it away in the solar draw. But in this instance the Middle Pillar is better expressed as a Mercurial idea. Look at page 273 in the Book of Thoth.

Tiphareth - the Sun - connects to eight of the other sephiroth. 8 = Mercury.

Paul Foster Case talks about the interchangeability of the Sun and Mercury, but at the moment I can't remember where. If I do remember I will let you know, although I suspect you have already read it in, Occult Fundamentals.



__________________
Ever as I went, hath it been thus. The truth of the profane was the falsehood of the Neophyte, and the truth of the Neophyte was the falsehood of the Zelator!

Last edited by Aeon418; 27-03-2012 at 05:31.
Aeon418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2012 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #7
Always Wondering 
Citizen
 
Always Wondering's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04 Mar 2008
Location: The North State
Posts: 1,553

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeon418 View Post
Is it the Solar - Mercury thing you don't get? Until you reply I will assume it is because it can be a little confusing until you get your head around it.
Yep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeon418 View Post
In a way the Sun and Mercury are interchangeable because there's a lot of overlap between them. When we think of the Sun as the solar center we also think of the sun as the child and mediator between the father and mother. But this also true of Mercury who mediates between Father-Sulphur and Mother-Salt.
The Sun/Tiphareth is related to the element of Air through the letter Vav. But Mercury also relates to the element of Air.

Consider also how the Solar Christ is also the Word - the Mecurial Logos (Jesus in Greek, ιησους = 888) - in the gospel of John. In the current study verse we appear to be focusing on Horus as the Word.
This helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeon418 View Post
Look at the Tree of Life. The Middle Pillar is the mediator and child of the two pillars on either side. Usually we would file it away in the solar draw. But in this instance the Middle Pillar is better expressed as a Mercurial idea. Look at page 273 in the Book of Thoth.

Tiphareth - the Sun - connects to eight of the other sephiroth. 8 = Mercury.
Actually, this explains a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeon418 View Post
Paul Foster Case talks about the interchangeability of the Sun and Mercury, but at the moment I can't remember where. If I do remember I will let you know, although I suspect you have already read it in, Occult Fundamentals.
I took a quick peek. Lots of little references, like I should of know this already. I'll keep looking.

AW



__________________
I will drink the ocean.
Always Wondering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2012 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #8
Aeon418 
Citizen
 
Aeon418's Avatar
 
Join Date: 30 Sep 2003
Location: Earth
Posts: 3,785

Secret, SVD = 70.

The paths that form the Middle Pillar are the 13th, 25th, and 32nd.
13 + 25 + 32 = 70.

The sum of the numbers of the Sephiroth on the Middle Pillar is 26.*
1 + 6 + 9 + 10 = 26. This is the same numerical value as the fourfold tetragrammaton, I.H.V.H.
(*Atu XV The Devil is attributed to the 26th path. Ayin = 70.)

The sum of the Tarot Trumps attributed to the Middle Pillar is 37. II + XIV + XXI = 37.
37 = IChIDH, Yechidah - the quintessential spark of Godhead within humanity. (The blasphemy against all gods of men?) Do what thou wilt.

The letters on the Middle Pillar, Gimel - Samekh - Tau, total 463.
463 = MTH HShQD, a rod of almond. (Almond is attributed to Kether.)
Also RA HVVR KVIT = 463.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liber Tzaddi
2. I swoop down upon the black earth; and it gladdens into green at my coming.



__________________
Ever as I went, hath it been thus. The truth of the profane was the falsehood of the Neophyte, and the truth of the Neophyte was the falsehood of the Zelator!
Aeon418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2012 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #9
Aeon418 
Citizen
 
Aeon418's Avatar
 
Join Date: 30 Sep 2003
Location: Earth
Posts: 3,785

As has already been mentioned III x 49 = 147.

Verse 147 is III:2.
Quote:
2. There is division hither homeward; there is a word not known. Spelling is defunct; all is not aught. Beware! Hold! Raise the spell of Ra-Hoor-Khuit!
With the Middle Pillar connection in the current verse it suggests a biblical interpretation of the word 'known' in verse 2. Homeward may indicate the path of Daleth - Atu III The Empress - who ever seeketh Seventy to her Four.

Raise the spell of Ra-Hoor-Khuit!



__________________
Ever as I went, hath it been thus. The truth of the profane was the falsehood of the Neophyte, and the truth of the Neophyte was the falsehood of the Zelator!
Aeon418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2012 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #10
Reply
Go ad-free and support us too - upgrade to subscriber today


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off



All times are GMT +10. The time now is 14:52.

 


Tarot Forum Categories
· Tarot Decks
· Using Tarot Cards
· Tarot Trading
· Talking Tarot
· Reading Exchange
· Your Readings
· Tarot Games & Fun
· Tarot Deck Creation
· Marseilles
· Rider-Waite-Smith
· Thoth Tarot
· Tarot Study Groups
· Lenormand
· Oracles
· Divination
· Spirituality
· Chat
· New Members
· Advertisements
· Forum Help


Aeclectic Tarot Categories
· Dark & Gothic Decks
· Steampunk Decks
· Goddess Decks
· Angel Decks
· Fairy Decks
· Dragon Decks
· Beginner Decks
· Pagan & Wiccan Decks
· Ancient Egyptian Decks
· Celtic Decks
· Fantasy Decks
· Tarot Books
· Lenormand Decks
· Rider-Waite Decks
· Marseilles Decks
· Thoth Decks
· Oracle Decks
· Doreen Virtue Decks
· Popular Tarot Decks
· Available Decks
· Upcoming Decks
· Solandia's Top Ten
· Top Ten Decks
· List All Decks

Who is behind the Aeclectic Tarot Forum?

My name is Kate Hill (also known as Solandia) and I'm a Tarot reader, deck collector, and lifelong student of the beauty and diversity of Tarot cards.

I created Aeclectic in 1996 to share my passion for Tarot with the world, and started the forum in 2000 so others could share theirs too. Contact me via email or here at the forum.

  Contribute to Aeclectic

· Add your deck
· Write a review
· Join the community

Get new deck updates via email
  Aeclectic Tarot Resources

Copyright © Aeclectic Tarot. All rights reserved.