Aeclectic Tarot
Dedicated to the diversity and beauty of Tarot since 1996

· Tarot Decks   · Tarot Meanings   · Tarot Forum   · Home

Tarot Gallery Tarot Card Meanings Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Community What's New

Aeclectic Tarot Forum > Tarot Special Interest > Tarot Study Groups > Individual Deck Studies > Mary-El Tarot

Welcome to the Aeclectic Tarot Forum!

We are the oldest and largest Tarot forum community on the Internet. If you have any questions about any aspect of Tarot or using your cards, or you just want to connect with other Tarot enthusiasts, you've found the right place!

Registering your account is completely free, and allows you to post, share readings, search, view extra boards and more.

Hope to see you in the forum soon!

Bat Chicken 
Citizen

Mary El Tarot - Three of Cups

http://www.mary-el.com/cups1.html

This looks like the cliff behind the Fool. We are viewing it from the other side of the canyon it would seem from the gnarled, bare tree in the foreground. Instead of the misty background of the Fool, the waterfalls are clear and the single river divides into three before plunging off the edge. Even the skies look heavy with rain and the ground coloured in the fresh intense green of early Spring. The body of the Empress, her endless nurture… The rush of water is the free flow of emotion.

Thoughts?

Old 15-03-2012 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #1
Mi-Shell 
The more I know, I know that I know NOTHING!

Nice card.
A river dividing into 3 waterfalls.
Kabbalah
The One dividing into 3
Serene.
But So very NOT Mary El.
The message for me: There are always at least 3 ways to look at something.
In our Siberian tribal belief it says: 3 sides you see, 3 sides stay hidden
3 ways to judge
good
bad
and fair

Old 19-04-2012 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #2
Bat Chicken 
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi-Shell View Post
But So very NOT Mary El.
Why not?

Old 19-04-2012 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #3
Mi-Shell 
The more I know, I know that I know NOTHING!

As Endorphin and Alta noted in the thread -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endorphine View Post
I can not resist of impression that some of the cards were well-done, but others were left as a sketches. Or even.. like this deck was drawn by two or even three people.
and
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alta View Post
Yes, I also find the art uneven in completeness.
I feel, this card could be from any deck...
For me it is a beautiful image, but anyone could have painted it for any deck.
The "Mary El mystique" is - missing.....

I hope at some later point to be able to make better sense of these feelings I have about a number of cards and then be better able to put them into coherent words....

For now I am still - studying the images, take note of the feelings they evoke in me, muse about their associations and significances within me...
and am also learning the kabbalistic associations that prompted the artist....

Last edited by Mi-Shell; 20-04-2012 at 03:11.
Mi-Shell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2012 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #4
Bat Chicken 
Citizen

Hmmmm. I can understand why you might think that, but IMHO, it fits both symbolically and stylistically.

As I already said, it looks like the misty landscape from behind the Fool which is significant all on its own. On the surface looks like it could be for any deck, but if it is the Fool's background - the significance is loaded with that 'mystique'. It is just much more subtle. I like that subtlety. The sense of change - flux - and the mutable nature of geography and landscape is very gently but effectively presented. The power of a waterfall in Nature, the force of water (and wind here!) deliver a deep emotional experience - love - for the whole.

The Thoth 3 of Cups is the "Lord of Abundance" and that allusion to the Empress, deep passion and love - even the conditions for creation - are all present. I personally love this kind of landscape painting, so it speaks to me. Not every card will for everyone. Our unique interpretations are what make it so much more interesting! But to say it is NOT Mary El I'm afraid we'll have to disagree!

I had no idea you were interested in Qabalah, MiShell. It will be interesting to hear your thoughts.

Old 20-04-2012 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #5
RunningWild 
Citizen

I'm jumping around here as each card starts to make more sense. I, too, enjoy this sort of landscape painting but I did at first have a difficult time understanding the way it fit into the deck.

I'm finally beginning to see how the elements within the deck fit together. The waterfalls beginning with one great river, dividing into three and pooling together again at the base. At the bottom, which we cannot see, it's tumultuous, the great force of the water from above pushing the water below around, churning things up.

I can see how abundance fits here.

ETA: I have more to say on this but my second cup of coffee just wasn't enough.

And Eternity in an hour.
-William Blake

Last edited by RunningWild; 03-05-2012 at 02:21.
RunningWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #6
Bat Chicken 
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningWild View Post
I'm jumping around here as each card starts to make more sense. I, too, enjoy this sort of landscape painting but I did at first have a difficult time understanding the way it fit into the deck.

I'm finally beginning to see how the elements within the deck fit together. The waterfalls beginning with one great river, dividing into three and pooling together again at the base. At the bottom, which we cannot see, it's tumultuous, the great force of the water from above pushing the water below around, churning things up.

I can see how abundance fits here.

ETA: I have more to say on this but my second cup of coffee just wasn't enough.
I am anxious to hear more... I love how things are not always explicit in this deck. It requires imagination. Love it....

Old 08-05-2012 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #7
missy 
Citizen

Three of Cups

Meeting up with three different paths: the three waterfalls. Which one to take?

The tree branches represent our thought patterns. Confusion, the brain stem, how we think and get lost among many paths and subpaths.

Meanings: Friendship. Peace. Resolution. Bounty. Overflowing happiness. Some issue standing in the way, preventing you from seeing the bigger picture. (The small branch in the way of the three waterfalls) The goal (lush landscape at the top of the waterfall) is ripe for the picking: you just need to find a path to get there. Overflowing emotions. An emotional time. You can count on your friends. You are made of strong stuff. (i.e., that gnarled little tree branch growing out of that rock is stronger than you think!) The sun will come out tomorrow. It's a beautiful day.

Old 11-09-2012 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #8
Go ad-free and support us too - upgrade to subscriber today