One Deck Wonder Resurrected

Eyebright

That's a great idea to help people feel comfortable in joining the group when they already have other commitments. :D

I've had a couple of great readings with my deck now, starting to really get comfortable with it. It's holding my attention just fine! Though I have made no effort on the studying aspect of the deck, but I will... ;)

Chiriku

Hi, Eyebright.

Thanks aurarcana and Alamaris. I'm actually planning on remaining monogamous with mine for as long as possible (the special occasion readings with other decks will be few and far between) but my commitment-phobic brain still hums with subconscious approval at the fire escape you've opened for me.

Paradoxically, the knowledge that I'm not breaking any vows by later picking up a Deck of the Week if I should so desire is what might help keep me focused on my ODW.

Richard

Is this thread about sticking to one deck? I don't see any problem. If a particular deck has the symbolism which one needs, then why would one want to use a different deck? Otherwise select a different deck. What am I missing?

Disa

The DruidCraft and I are getting along well. I have always felt that if I had to get rid of all my decks, it's the only one I would have to keep. So far this ODW has re-enforced that feeling. I've done personal readings with it, readings for others with it, a few study group entries with it, and the daily draws rather consistently to my surprise and delight- and I am not tired of the deck at all and have no need or desire to pick up another deck. It could become my main reading deck after all this is said and done.

It is nice though, that the rules allow us to continue to participate in previous commitments that we wanted to continue. :)

kalliope

I'm actually planning on remaining monogamous with mine for as long as possible (the special occasion readings with other decks will be few and far between) but my commitment-phobic brain still hums with subconscious approval at the fire escape you've opened for me.

Paradoxically, the knowledge that I'm not breaking any vows by later picking up a Deck of the Week if I should so desire is what might help keep me focused on my ODW.

I just wanted to say that I'm feeling much the same as you, Chiriku. I'm normally an unfocused deck-hopper, but that "fire escape" is incredibly comforting! I'm able to commit on principle to the International Icon, but I know that for any special, limited, circumstances I can dip into another deck. This ODW is very non-stressful to me because of that fact.

In a certain playful mood, I'd say it's my Venus in Sagittarius. Principled and honest, yes, but a little panicky about fences and obligations. I may hate to admit it about myself, but I love freedom too much to never have options, even if they're only symbolic. ;)

Tarot Orat

I'm still doing one exchange with the Ancestral Path (I committed to it before starting the ODW) and it actually feels kind of strange NOT looking at a psychadelic clown or a graceful Renaissance noblewoman! So far I'm definitely not having trouble staying loyal to my ODW decks for myself; I do like having a "fire escape" that I may use in other exchanges where I don't feel comfortable with the DC or the Minchie. (The DC can be too dark for some people and it can be hard to explain the Minchie...."No, really, there IS a Pisces card!")

Miss Divine

I haven't touched any cards in the last 2 days, because I had 2 crazy, exhausting days at work. But tonight, I'm gonna grab those crazy Vampyres and have some fun!

Kosjitov

Update

Checkin in!

Well, I haven't fallen off the wagon yet. I keep my shapeshifter with me and it's working out. The cards are smooth and I really like the feel of them in my hands. I didn't buy any new tarot decks but I did find my one oracle that I've wanted for the last two years. I keep them in my purse along with the Hansen Roberts I've been looking to donate to a friend/good customer who was interested.

The shapeshifter has started to come into its own with me when I ignore the suit names and just focus on the elemental attribute and the key word, though they've been a bit distracting. Currently, I'm trying to work out why the Goddess and God (Queen and King) attributes were exchanged. I haven't been working with the book (yet). Compared to the Oracle, which has just very direct meanings I still feel like there's layers of detail behind the tarot that the oracle lacks. I suppose I should be thankful for the dichotomy between them while I am trying to break them both in.

I also haven't used the tarot bible as per my promise, but I may be revisiting Ly De Angeles book for the... fourth? time? to try and see how I view it after several years and the changes to my practice over time. I'm hoping I will have new eyes for the material.

So far, so good! Now, off to clean house and reorganize my tarot drawer in the meantime. I'm running out of room >.<

Carla

Is this thread about sticking to one deck? I don't see any problem. If a particular deck has the symbolism which one needs, then why would one want to use a different deck? Otherwise select a different deck. What am I missing?

Lots of us have big collections of decks and they're all so appealing and beautiful, we hop from one to another and never get to know any of them as well as we'd like. So the One Deck Wonder is a way of slowing ourselves down to take a good long look at one of our pretty little friends. :)

Eyebright

Lots of us have big collections of decks and they're all so appealing and beautiful, we hop from one to another and never get to know any of them as well as we'd like. So the One Deck Wonder is a way of slowing ourselves down to take a good long look at one of our pretty little friends. :)

This also sums up me... Who knows, perhaps I have found my deck to settle down with! The variety and beauty of tarot never fails to astonish me and I want to sample of much of it as possible! But for now I'm content with just the one :)