The bonefire has landed

prudence

I received my Bonefire a few weeks ago, actually it only took one week after my last post here. Much faster than I expected.

Sorry I have not posted anything until now, I have been trying to get my thoughts in order about how seriously cool this deck is, and in general I am terrible at giving coherent reviews. ;D I tend to be all over the place in my gushing and oohing/ahhing.

First, the cardstock and finish, I love both. The matte/satin finish is exactly to my liking. I also love the size of this deck, it is very similar to the Noblet, though the Bonefire is a touch wider. The dark borders actually give this deck a bit of that borderless feeling, because the dark blue blends into the rest of the background.

Now for my own probably weird take on the imagery; my number one favorite thing about these images are the hands in certain cards. I adore how some of the characters have strangely long hands/fingers, and how the wrinkles on the joints are so pronounced (Temperance, Justice, Queen of Cups, Hermit and Strength all share this quality). I also love the perspective given to how the hands seem to be coming at you from the cards...Why this tickles me so much I really can't articulate, it's just something I cannot put my finger on ;) .

The colors are so deep and vivid, and just overall, the blue, violet, pink, and orange that seem to flow throughout the deck give an impression of a gorgeous sunset over the ocean. It's soothing on that level as well as giving the whole deck a cohesive vibe.

I have been doing many readings with it, trying to get acquainted but I am still at the stage of getting utterly lost in the strange, colorful world that Gabi has created. Lost in a good way, but since the deck is still so new to me, it can be distracting when I get certain cards in a reading.....for example, the 4 swords, which is my absolute favorite card, I feel almost in a hypnotic trance when I gaze at that lady in the tub full of bubbles. Or any of the hand-centric cards that I mentioned above, especially that Justice card, love her sword too, btw. Oh, and how Temperance is pouring red wine (or a Bloody Mary?) into a glass with ice cubes...anyone else think Temperance resembles Eartha Kitt? (sorry for such an old reference, she was the original CatWoman on the Batman TV show from the 60's).

I am still even today only just noticing certain details in different cards, like the fetus in a womb that is within the tree on the Empress card. How did I not notice that until now??

I have been looking for a deck that would suit the "audience" I have here (northern California) and when I got the Bonefire, I knew I had found that deck, finally. I have not read for anyone using it yet, but I am positive that all of the hippy type folks I know and rub shoulders with will be totally blown away by this deck. I have never thought about this until I got the Bonefire, but reading under a blacklight with this deck would be the coolest, trippiest reading experience I could ever imagine.

Thank you, Gabi, I love this deck.

PS Gabi, when I first gazed at the 8 Pents, I got the impression that this was a self portrait....perhaps even you creating this gorgeous deck ?

toj

Ordered on the 7th and received on the 16th. I was expecting them next week at the earliest...that was fast! With most decks I gravitate to the Pentacles/Coins, but the Wands in this deck are striking. Loving it...

Winterchild

Personally I think this is a great review Prudence, I agree with all you have said about the deck. I love it's magic and other world-ness. The borderless look is great, for me this really makes the images flow and move together.

winter

I received my Bonefire a few weeks ago, actually it only took one week after my last post here. Much faster than I expected.

Sorry I have not posted anything until now, I have been trying to get my thoughts in order about how seriously cool this deck is, and in general I am terrible at giving coherent reviews. ;D I tend to be all over the place in my gushing and oohing/ahhing.

First, the cardstock and finish, I love both. The matte/satin finish is exactly to my liking. I also love the size of this deck, it is very similar to the Noblet, though the Bonefire is a touch wider. The dark borders actually give this deck a bit of that borderless feeling, because the dark blue blends into the rest of the background.

Now for my own probably weird take on the imagery; my number one favorite thing about these images are the hands in certain cards. I adore how some of the characters have strangely long hands/fingers, and how the wrinkles on the joints are so pronounced (Temperance, Justice, Queen of Cups, Hermit and Strength all share this quality). I also love the perspective given to how the hands seem to be coming at you from the cards...Why this tickles me so much I really can't articulate, it's just something I cannot put my finger on ;) .

The colors are so deep and vivid, and just overall, the blue, violet, pink, and orange that seem to flow throughout the deck give an impression of a gorgeous sunset over the ocean. It's soothing on that level as well as giving the whole deck a cohesive vibe.

I have been doing many readings with it, trying to get acquainted but I am still at the stage of getting utterly lost in the strange, colorful world that Gabi has created. Lost in a good way, but since the deck is still so new to me, it can be distracting when I get certain cards in a reading.....for example, the 4 swords, which is my absolute favorite card, I feel almost in a hypnotic trance when I gaze at that lady in the tub full of bubbles. Or any of the hand-centric cards that I mentioned above, especially that Justice card, love her sword too, btw. Oh, and how Temperance is pouring red wine (or a Bloody Mary?) into a glass with ice cubes...anyone else think Temperance resembles Eartha Kitt? (sorry for such an old reference, she was the original CatWoman on the Batman TV show from the 60's).

I am still even today only just noticing certain details in different cards, like the fetus in a womb that is within the tree on the Empress card. How did I not notice that until now??

I have been looking for a deck that would suit the "audience" I have here (northern California) and when I got the Bonefire, I knew I had found that deck, finally. I have not read for anyone using it yet, but I am positive that all of the hippy type folks I know and rub shoulders with will be totally blown away by this deck. I have never thought about this until I got the Bonefire, but reading under a blacklight with this deck would be the coolest, trippiest reading experience I could ever imagine.

Thank you, Gabi, I love this deck.

PS Gabi, when I first gazed at the 8 Pents, I got the impression that this was a self portrait....perhaps even you creating this gorgeous deck ?

wooden-eye

Just stopping by to say thank you so much for such positive feedback for Bonefire. It really feels as if the deck has found a life of its own. I have really been struck by how differently it has introduced itsself to its new owners. Often behaving quite unlike the Bonefire I used to know.
It is quite thrilling for me to behold.
I am still diving with the idea of writing much more extensively on the deck, though not sure what format as anyone who has the deck will know, the written form is not my gift. But having read here such incited into the deck, many so removed from my intentions , I don't wish to be contradictory and consequently influence Bonefire's own voice.
I hope this is not seen as a cop out.
Has any one found that purchasing a book perhaps at a later date than the book has been a negative in their enjoyment or bond with their deck. Perhaps proving it to not be the personality they had thought they had known?
I was reading yesterday, a French bloggers interview with her Bonefire and the deck appeared quite flirtatious.....Bonefire never flirted with me. It got me thinking.
Always dangerous.

desertrat

I always appreciate a companion book. I find it fascinating learning what was influencing/ motivating the artist while they were creating. Symbology is my favorite aspect of Tarot, and your cards are filled with symbols, some of which remain mysterious to me. I would love to know what it all means to you. I understand it would be quite an undertaking for you to author a book, but I am keeping my fingers crossed regardless. After all, the Bonefire remains my most favorite deck of 2013. :heart:

Many Blessings.

strings of life

Just stopping by to say thank you so much for such positive feedback for Bonefire. It really feels as if the deck has found a life of its own. I have really been struck by how differently it has introduced itsself to its new owners. Often behaving quite unlike the Bonefire I used to know.
It is quite thrilling for me to behold.
I am still diving with the idea of writing much more extensively on the deck, though not sure what format as anyone who has the deck will know, the written form is not my gift. But having read here such incited into the deck, many so removed from my intentions , I don't wish to be contradictory and consequently influence Bonefire's own voice.
I hope this is not seen as a cop out.
Has any one found that purchasing a book perhaps at a later date than the book has been a negative in their enjoyment or bond with their deck. Perhaps proving it to not be the personality they had thought they had known?
I was reading yesterday, a French bloggers interview with her Bonefire and the deck appeared quite flirtatious.....Bonefire never flirted with me. It got me thinking.
Always dangerous.
I agree with desertrat on two point :): that a companion book that explains the symbolism that you used in the cards would be wonderful to have and that this is my favorite deck of 2013. The Bonefire reads me, not the other way around. I have only said that about one other deck in my collection. I haven't read to others with it yet, but plan on doing so soon, very soon.

I love studying symbolism, journaling about the connections that I make, and taking I to account what the artist's intention was. Releasing a book after a deck is perfectly fine.

And if you do decide to make a companion book, a print edition would be nice. Don't get me wrong, I love to use my eReader, but I prefer my Tarot books in a tangible format.

I've never been persistent about using the Study Group forum here on Aeclectic, but have a feeling it would be worthwhile for this deck. I would have notes galore!

baylys

Oooohhh, a book? Yes please!!!!!!

I know it's a major task for you, so I'll just sit quietly in the corner and grin at you :D and nod like an idiot every time you look at me :D

Linfang

I just love companion books, and would really like to see one for the Bonfire. Maybe as an ebook version as well? Would make purchasing easier...

PattyMc

I just ordered, this makes the third Tarot deck this week that I have coming in the mail! Yikes! You all are dangerous <grin>

Patty

BadGirlBlues

Wow! I already freakin' love this deck. I only have six months' study in with tarot, but I can read these scans on sight, and they hold meaning for me.

To the top of the wishlist!