SAKKI-SAKKI: The Hanged Man

M-Press

I was thinking to post this card, becasue I wrote about yesterday, but then I asked the deck, which card I hsould post now, and I got him!!! So, with so much approval... here he is!

The Hanged Man was one of the most difficult cards for me. I did so many versions. It was really difdicult to get the colors right, the pose right, the "hanging" part. I had another face forever, till i realised it was too scary...
i started from the tree but I had this shape, and I called it "Bagel House", as it is round like a bagel. And it just fit so well... so well....

Imagemaker

Random thoughts:

His upper-body muscles and his casual "toe over the top" hold makes me think of a gymnast, totally in control, half-teasing. He has chosen this position and can hold it as long as he wants.

The blue around his eyes and his lips make me think of circus makeup--fitting the above casualness and skill.

The house and blue bricks make me think of a gatehouse in the wall around his space. Not sure how to interpret it.

There appears to be red smoke puffs coming out of the blue tower/smoke-stack. Flower-smoke--no clue there either.

I'm hung up :D

spoonbender

I really like this card :). The way he hangs from that strange structure... It’s like he’s immersed into an entirely different world... one where normal natural laws of gravity and perspective have disappeared. Is it a path that circles around him? Either way, it gives the feeling that he is protected and that he’s part of the world (the house, the wind direction indicator), but at the same time he’s transcending it.

The purple colour kind of takes you into the card... It’s as if I can feel the energy that is being built up, but which is not yet released. The nimbus around his head looks like it’s made up of tiny sparks of light, like flashes of inspiration and insight.

And I see red flowers or maybe puffy clouds, like a divine gift coming down the earth, bringing colour to the otherwise black and white sky.

Any other thoughts?

Spoon

Pipistrelle

When I look at this card, the shape of the house/path/chimney always reminds me of the shape of a heart - the "real" heart shape rather than the love heart shape. I'm no good at anatomy but the chimney reminds me of those tubes (arteries?) that stick out of the heart and pump blood around the body, so the red "flower-clouds" look like blood cells. So he's hanging upside down in the house of his own heart...as yet, I haven't managed to turn that thought into something profound about the meaning of the card but maybe someone else can!

Just reading the LWB (which, can I say, is one of the best LWBs I've come across so far in my short tarot life :) ) the last line offers an interpretation of this heart image - "This is the time to reprocess the events of our lives; although one is suspended, a lot of movement is taking place internally."

The Hanged Man - being inside his own heart - is about as internal as you can get, examining his life from the inside.

Pip

Imagemaker

So he's hanging upside down in the house of his own heart

Ooo, I like this! And I see the willingness and the waiting as a part of this upside-down time. Reprocessing and going inside could be the Hermit, but the Hanged Man seems to not be searching in the same way. He chooses this plateau-time and waits for what comes.

M-Press

It's such a delight to read these things about an image that I created. It's quite unreal, really...
The imagination and inspiration of each one, blends in with those of another, and the commentary becomes a piece of art it self! :)

(quite a pressure... my book better be good, really good...)

I'm wondering about the real shape of the heart vs the shape of love... i'm really wondering about it...

Jewel-ry

The real world is depicted very well in this card and he just looks as if he has taken himself out of it so he can have some time to himself. To just let the world pass him by while he just 'hangs around' and sits it out. It is most definately a time of doing nothing and being patient and mores the point he is happy in that situation. He doesn't feel as if he is missing out.

I love Pipistrelle's angle of being inside his own heart. Wonderful!

The red clouds may symbolise him not having a care in the world. The windvein points in one direction and yet the red clouds do not appear to be going the same way.

So he is undecided about his next course of action and is quite happy to 'hang around' while the real world above him seems a little chaotic.

~

Tesseljoan

For me personally the remark about the heart shape really hit home when I noticed that the strength card has a similar structure as the Hanged man in the background. I haven't managed to put it into cooherent thoughts yet, but it makes sense to me. Did that make sense? ;-)

M-Press

Tesseljoan said:
For me personally the remark about the heart shape really hit home when I noticed that the strength card has a similar structure as the Hanged man in the background. I haven't managed to put it into cooherent thoughts yet, but it makes sense to me. Did that make sense? ;-)

This is a very interesting point, and I'll add what came to my mind when I read this, and after a quick look at the cards. yes, that shape is identical in Strength as well, (only up-side-down!!!!), but it also appears again, although in a modified version in the 9 of Coins. There it's more like a wall, and the lady is inside it. But like in the Hanged Man, she is protected, within her own "zone".
i wonder what will come next... ;)

tarobones

Hearts

I have always loved the Hanged Man. As a matter of fact, it's one of the first cards that I look at when viewing a new deck. I remember a wise man once listening to me pour out my heart to him, and suddenly he stood on his head!!! Of course I was startled and annoyed until he invited me to do the same! He simply responded by saying, "sometimes we all need a new perspective." hehe, I know that there is a lot of meaning in the card, but I cannot look at it now without thinking of my friend. I also appreciate the heart image there. If our hearts are going to widen their embrace to include more and more experiences, then the "letting go" and "new perspectives" of this card are going to be essential. Blessings to the group...........Michael