An answer to the real question . . .

nord_drache

I did a reading last night to see the influence of quintessence and the base/shadow card (bottom card of deck) . . .
My concern was how my relationship with a neighbour would develop after I go onto layoff - he is very ego centred self important and tends to try to inject himself into things. Not really a friend just a neighbour I try to get along with.
The reading promptly demonstrated that this wasn't my issue of concern but what needed to be done when I am away from the hazardous stresses of this job . . .
I used the basic 3 card spread . . . what the basis of the issue is, what the issue really is, and what may come I placed the "bottom card" face down below the spread.
Like: 1 - 2 - 3
4 -> bottom card face down.

The reading went as such . . .
Hanged man - suspended between past and future, a new path at hand. Take your time and make the right decision.
(First time I ever drew the Hanged man . . .)
The moon reversed - soul is calling for help. Time to work on self nurturing, artistic expression . . . Allowed outside influences to unbalance self.
(The moon has shown up many times since I started readings)
Ace of cups - A new beginning, seeing a relationship in a new way, time of creative growth, consummation of something hoped for.
(This is good as my wife sometimes asks where the man she married is <due to stress & depression>)

Now the quintessence (3 possibilities) -
Using reversals -> 12 - 18 +1 =5
The Hierophant (I have used it as my significator being a Taurus) speaking of spiritual development and a choice being a follower or an individual.
Using Fool = 22 -> 12+18+1=31-9 =22
The Fool a new way of life, out of sync w/rest of the world (yup, me), marching to different drummer - my true self.
or if you leave the fool as 0 without reversals ->12+18+1=31-9=22-9=13
Death end of a cycle and a new life and a transformation for the better.

My bottom card (4) = King of cups
A benefactor in the arts or a situation that is a favourable pursuit especially artistically. (which seems to relate to my plans after May.

The message seems to me to stop worrying about the extraneous and to work on myself creatively, health wise (deal with the stress) and in so doing things will come into balance - self and relations. Positive changes are coming they might need a little help.

I appreciate any feedback as to anything I may have missed and I hope this helps people who are considering adding things to their readings toolbox.
Jim