Interpreting people through Court Cards.

Jh27

Hi everyone,
Is there any easy way to interpret court cards as a person in a reading? I know court cards have Astrological associations and personalities of course, but you're not always going to know their sun sign. Is there really physical characteristics to them as well? Just wondering if and how you can tell who they are when the cards represent a person or people.
Hope I'm not confusing with my question..thanks :)

Lareia

I don't pay any attention to how they look on the cards or that they're assigned a gender in most decks. A man can be represented by a queen and vice versa as far as I'm concerned.

I assign certain personality characteristics to each court and if I get a court card in a reading that I think represents a person, I interpret that as a person who has that particular characteristic.

Amanda

Yeah, a simple method is this:

Kings = Men
Queens = Women

Knights = Either young men or women (maybe both; transgender).

Pages = Children next to a Queen; Messages next to a King.

Single dad? That's okay, look for the Empress, Sun or some other card like 6 of Cups with children in it next to a King.

Messages for a Queen/lady? That's okay, look for some other card like 8 of Wands or Aces nearby.

It's only as complicated as you want it to be. You want Queens representing men and Kings representing women? More power to you in figuring that out in a spread :thumbsup: I personally prefer the obvious for fortune-telling to minimize the guesswork. Surrounding cards will help identify a personality or characteristic trait of a court if it is necessary for identification.

Just my two cents..

Farzon

I don't pay any attention to how they look on the cards or that they're assigned a gender in most decks. A man can be represented by a queen and vice versa as far as I'm concerned.

I assign certain personality characteristics to each court and if I get a court card in a reading that I think represents a person, I interpret that as a person who has that particular characteristic.
That's my usual take as well. But when I need a significator for certain spreads, I will choose a significator that feels right. If I know the person well (which is mostly the case) I'll either take the card corresponding to their birth whenever I'm aware of it or I'll choose by their personality.

In a reading it's different. It depends on the question if I see them as separate persons in the first place. If there is reason to presume the courts are persons, I'll also stick with their characteristics rather than gender and age. All this gender and age topic leads to the old question about knight and kings and would drive any beginner mad in no time... -.- and finally, it is very limiting. The Queen of Swords is independent but has experienced sorrow - can this only happen to a woman?

vulpixel

I agree with the above in that I don't generally assign how the image on the card looks to how the person it suggests looks. To me Kings and Knights are masculine energy and Pages and Queens are feminine energy, which of course is inherent in both male and female and therefore a Queen or Page could represent a man with a strong feminine energy or feminine traits and vice versa.

Jh27

I agree with the above in that I don't generally assign how the image on the card looks to how the person it suggests looks. To me Kings and Knights are masculine energy and Pages and Queens are feminine energy, which of course is inherent in both male and female and therefore a Queen or Page could represent a man with a strong feminine energy or feminine traits and vice versa.

You are all a big help thanks! :) Now I have a better idea how to interpret them.

What court card would a professional person like a Dr. come up as? I'm assuming a lawyer would be the Justice card?

Awakened Queen

You are all a big help thanks! :) Now I have a better idea how to interpret them.

What court card would a professional person like a Dr. come up as? I'm assuming a lawyer would be the Justice card?

King of Swords

nisaba

I know court cards have Astrological associations and personalities of course, but you're not always going to know their sun sign.
... and the reason for that is that their personalities generally don't obviously reflect the given characteristics of their sun-signs, or we'd know who was what sign after chatting to them for two minutes.

Is there really physical characteristics to them as well?
Not really. People claim some cards are "older" or "younger" but that can just be their maturity level - I've known some awfully immature grey-hairs. Some claim that the Wands courts are redheads or Cups are blondes: what do you do in populations where everyone has dark skin and hair?

No, court cards describe personalities. Pentacles are robust, grounded, realistic people. Cups are emotional people. Swords are thoughtful people. Wands are people with a great deal of drive. Pages have a lot to learn. Knights are more confident than their skill-levels deserve. Queens have internalised their skills. Kings are mentors in their skill-sets. And again: That has nothing whatsoever to do with a client's physical; gender or age.

Jh27

... and the reason for that is that their personalities generally don't obviously reflect the given characteristics of their sun-signs, or we'd know who was what sign after chatting to them for two minutes.

Not really. People claim some cards are "older" or "younger" but that can just be their maturity level - I've known some awfully immature grey-hairs. Some claim that the Wands courts are redheads or Cups are blondes: what do you do in populations where everyone has dark skin and hair?

No, court cards describe personalities. Pentacles are robust, grounded, realistic people. Cups are emotional people. Swords are thoughtful people. Wands are people with a great deal of drive. Pages have a lot to learn. Knights are more confident than their skill-levels deserve. Queens have internalised their skills. Kings are mentors in their skill-sets. And again: That has nothing whatsoever to do with a client's physical; gender or age.

Thanks Nisaba and everyone! You answered all my questions :)