Aeclectic Tarot
Dedicated to the diversity and beauty of Tarot since 1996

· Decks   · Readings   · Forum   · Home
Tarot Decks Tarot Card Meanings Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Forum Community What's New Home

Aeclectic Tarot Forum > Tarot > Using Tarot Cards

Welcome to the Aeclectic Tarot Forum!

We are the oldest and largest Tarot forum community on the Internet. If you have any questions about any aspect of Tarot or using your cards, or you just want to connect with other Tarot enthusiasts, you've found the right place!

Registering is completely free, and allows you to post, search, watch threads and more. Hope to see you in the forum soon!

Solandia 
Forum Admin

Significators

Do you use a significator card when reading the tarot? (Do you choose a card beforehand to represent yourself or your question?)

~ Solandia

Old 13-10-2001 Need help fast? Chat with a live Tarot reader now!     Top   #1

Ads by Google
via Google Adsense

#ADS
cj 
Citizen

Quote:
Solandia (13 Oct, 2001 00:01):
Do you use a significator card when reading the tarot? (Do you choose a card beforehand to represent yourself or your question?)

~ Solandia
Solandia,

I have never done a reading with a significator. I feel you need the full deck to do a reading.

cj

Old 13-10-2001 Need help fast? Chat with a live Tarot reader now!     Top   #2
Jane 
Resident

Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't.

It really depends on the spread.

When doing a Celtic Cross spread, I sometimes let the deck pick the significator position (ie the first card dealt is the sig., not picked beforehand).

When doing the Opening of the Key, a significator is picked, but left in the deck. That's how you know which pile of cards to read and where to start the count from.

Jane
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2001 Need help fast? Chat with a live Tarot reader now!     Top   #3
jade 
Citizen

sometimes when i'm finished a reading, i pull a significator if i am unsure of who the reading is about. that way it brings clarity.

i don't use them on a regular basis.

how about you solandia, do you use them?

blessed be.
jade

Old 14-10-2001 Need help fast? Chat with a live Tarot reader now!     Top   #4
Alta 
Golden Silvery Dionna

Hi Solandia,
I let the deck pick, and I find it adds depth to the reading. Let's you know just who the querent is on that question. so to speak.
Alta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2001 Need help fast? Chat with a live Tarot reader now!     Top   #5
Hoonoki 
Resident

konnichiwa Solandia-san ...

I think i answered that question before in an old post but anyway, my answer has changed a little after learning more about the tarot and doing more readings.

If a spread requires me to use a significator card, sometimes i let the deck decide (whether it's a pip, court, or major card) or i choose a card myself. It depends on whether i strongly feel that i should let the deck decide. I would normally choose the Queen of Wands because many times when i would do readings for myself, the deck would chose this card. Her fire element also coincides with my astrological Sun sign.

[color="#00003F"]~ Hoonoki ~[/color]\n;P\n[color="#cccc99"]"[i]Dreams are rudiments of the great state to come. We dream what is about to happen."[/i] - Bailey[/color]
Hoonoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2001 Need help fast? Chat with a live Tarot reader now!     Top   #6
MeeWah 
Fortune Teller

Prefer not to use a significator because it eliminates a card from the deck--I like to play with a full deck Often, the first card acts as a significator--it describes the querent's position, concern or the matter at hand (which may not be what the querent has in mind). The second card further clarifies the nature of same.

Old 15-10-2001 Need help fast? Chat with a live Tarot reader now!     Top   #7
Kiama 
Dancing to the Vodou groove

I used to use significators in all my readings, but I found when choosing that sig. I was biased, so I progressed to letting the deck choose one for me. Now however, I do not use one, and usually find that if I need one, the deck throws me one anyway. I also find now, after reading the cards for quite a while, I can recognise who the cards are talking about by which cards it throws at me!

On my first date with my boyfriend, I gave him a reading. The Fool was thrown at me as a significator for him, as was the King of Swords. Then, it threw out the Queen of Wands as me... It's been like that ever since! (Needless to say, that reading told us what was gonna happen between us in the future, but at the time I didn't wanna say anything just in case he thought I was biased...)

Kiama

"Pistis Sophia: the Goddess Tarot" (forthcoming) http://pistissophiatarot.com

"Tarot 101: Mastering the Art of Reading the Cards", by Kim Huggens, released by Llewellyn Worldwide, 2010.

"Sol Invictus: the God Tarot", Schiffer Books, 2007.
Kiama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2001 Need help fast? Chat with a live Tarot reader now!     Top   #8
bec 
Citizen

I only use a sig.card if the deck/cards tells me to do so - exs. during shuffling and a card falls out or I see one turned upsidedown. When I do a CC spread on a stranger and having a hard time finding the person in my intuition, I use a recognition card - that shows me the person. I draw that card before the others and put it back in the deck before picking out for the spread.

Old 16-10-2001 Need help fast? Chat with a live Tarot reader now!     Top   #9
Solandia 
Forum Admin

I don't generally use a significator card, as I prefer to have the full deck there for the reading, like MeeWah

But I think they can be useful when reading for another, if the querent looks through the deck and choose the card. It's good for insight on their problem as they see it consciously.

~ Solandia

Old 28-10-2001 Need help fast? Chat with a live Tarot reader now!     Top   #10