Talisman Spread

Talisman

'Lo all,

If the title sounds too ego driven, think of cards 6, 1, 2 and 7 as forming the bowl of a cup, cards 3, 4 and 5 as the base of a cup, and card 8 appearing over the rim of the cup. Then you may call it the "Temptest in a Teacup Spread."

I wanted this spread to be a bread 'n butter, everyday, workhorse spread, as compact as possible. If you're interested, you can read about what I was trying to do, and the help I received, in the "Perfect Spread" and the two "Blue Bandanna" threads.

1. INNER Reality: The question, your private thoughts, the things about you the world may not see, what is hidden, subconscious.

2. OUTER Reality: The world around you, shared reality, environment, home, work, family, lovers, friends.

Cards 1 and 2 form the central dynamic or genesis of the reading.

3. WANING Influences.

4. PRESENT: Significant issues surrounding the question or situation.

5. WAXING Influences.

Cards 3, 4 and 5 are the foundation of the matter, the three-card spread.

6. LESSON Card: Guidance, wishes, detours, obstacles, challenges.

7. FUTURE Card: What you are moving toward on the path you are following, or a situation just beginning.

8. WILD Card: The element of surprise, an aspect not considered, a synthesis to pull the reading together.

If you are bothered by the symmetry, consider 8, 6, 1 and 3 as shadow cards, the part of the moon you don't see, and 7, 2, 4 and 5 as light cards. Because of the latitude in interpretation (guidance or obstacle?) it is essential to read the cards together.

There's lots more, but you're probably already way ahead of me. I would love to hear your thoughts because this is mutable.

Talisman

Talisman

'Lo all,

When I opened this up, the numbers came out all jammed together. I'll try again with periods.

Hope this will give you the idea.

Talisman

Major Tom

Talisman - this is a brilliant spread!

I think you should post it in the FAQ - Tarot Spreads thread...

It's definitely worth preserving. }>

faunabay

This is really amazing Talisman!!! I'm definitely going to be trying this one out. Wow!!
I've been pretty much stuck in a Celtic rut. (partially because it's worked so well in the past) But your spread looks to be easy to understand while offering alot of information. Cool!!!!

Yarnie

I like that spread, Talisman! Have printed it out for future reference.

BTW...WELCOME BACK!!!!

cj

Talisman,

I'm new compared to most, but I am going to try this spread with the Osho Zen. What do you think?

cj

EveAnna

I like the look of this spread too Talisman, so I've printed it out for future use :)

Talisman

'Lo all,

Where's my thesaurus? I need lots of synonyms for "I'm flattered."

Major Tom, unless someone finds a serious problem, I will post this in the tarotbear's tarot spreads FAQ 'cause it will be fun to be part of that. Wanted a spread as compact as possible, but with the emphasis on versatility. You know, a sort of "one size fits all" thing.

And, faunabay, like you, I wanted to get out of the "Celtic Cross rut," since that was the only spread I used for years.

I guess my method was: Satisfy yourself first. That way you know at least one person liked it. (Note: It is exactly the opposite for sex.)

Yarnie and EveAnna, am truly flattered you guys actually printed this out. Love to hear how it works for you, or changes you've made to make it work better.

cj, sure, try it with Osho Zen. The scans of the deck make it look beautiful. BUT, back in the "Perfect Spread" thread you shared with us a spread you'd created. Found it in my sloppy tarot journal -- the "cj Spread." Those interested can scroll back into the past and look it up. If you collect spreads, the journey will be worthwhile.

Talisman

cj

Talisman (18 Nov, 2001 04:32):

Talisman,

The Osho Zen is supposed to enlighten so I switched the words a little;
1 Sub consious
2 Consious
3 Waning influance
4 present influance
5 Waxing Influance
6 What will fulfill you
7 what you will obtain
8 guidance (to fill your cup)

Try it and let me know.

Thanks

cj

faunabay

Talisman,
I've been using your spread now for all my reading I'd have used the celtic cross in the past and I have to say it's working beautifully. I love it!!! You did such a good job (take a bow!) :p