...okay, we've squared away the bunny, now on to the cat...

firemaiden

Okay, we've squared away the bunny. Now on to the cat... the Queen of Wands is Fire. What does a black cat have to do with it? Why are cats her motto? Is she the domesticated version of the lion-taming spirit of strength? Is this cat famous? Does he/she have a name?

(I just saw that absurd movie: the Mummy ...I'm thinking cats are pretty powerful creatures)

Hey, hey, where is that cyber-cat? Macavity? What do you have to say for yourself?

Diana

Honestly, I don't know. So why am I replying to this thread?

Freya, who was the Norse Goddess of Beauty and Love used to have her chariot pulled by two black cats. As a reward, they were changed into witches, disguised as black cats. And they often stayed around her feet to show that they were her servants.

catti

in the medieval scapini she is holding a marmalade tabby on her lap and her throne is on top of a lions skin!

and now that i am looking at the universal waite, her throne is stone lion

so there is a connection to the lion, before your question i had thought the cat was her pet since she seems like the type to have a cat or two , is it a reference to Bast , egyptian cat goddess ( who I know very little about)
i also read somewhere that figurines of cats were used in Egypt to protect the home

oh dear, no answers just more questions

firemaiden

Oooooooh!! A chariot pulled by two black cats! that must be it, Diana! the Queen of Wands must be Freya, of course, she is beauty and love. But Diana, you still haven't told me the cat's name!

Diana

firemaiden said:
But Diana, you still haven't told me the cat's name!

Wouldn't you just love to know! (I know, but one has to find these things out for oneself.)

Cats should always have two names, you know: "One for a secret, one for a riddle, name puss twice and befuddle the devil".

firemaiden

Ah! Diana! You always know much more than you reveal! :D :D

This investigation requires more evidence!
Behold: the Red Kitty

Attachments

• red kitty.jpg
    red kitty.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 272

firemaiden

Now, name *this* one:

Behold: the mysterious Red Kitty from another card....

Well? Well? What do you think? Connections?

Attachments

• red kitty2.jpg
    red kitty2.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 248

Moongold

firemaiden,

Black cats are supposed to be sexy but also to represent the darker side of the Planet Venus (Chapman).

In ancient Rome, the cat was a symbol of liberty and the Goddess of Liberty had a cat at her feet. What human can restrain a cat?

Black cats have often been seen as Satan's favourite form, and are are also associated with witchcraft. And where does the association with 'bad luck' come from?

Maybe it says a lot for the power of the Queen Wands that the Cat sits calmly at her feet, perhaps symbolizing the internal power of this wonderful Queen.

Maybe it's my sight but do I see two stone cats on the throne of the Queen of Wands, and are there two orange/red cats dancing with each other on the tapestry behind her throne?

LadyMedusa

Firemaiden,
I know where the 2nd red kitty is may I guess?

LadyMedusa

added....ooo I think I may have found them both

firemaiden

the Solar Lion

Yes, indeed, Moongold, I see the two dancing red lions too.
Yes, you must guess, Lady M, I am sure you have it now!

My, my! Now, see the stone lions of the Wand Queen's throne, are yellow, on my Universal Waite card, like her gown, and like the sunflowers. All of this is very solar, indeed. We have sun, sun, sun. But then... at the bottom of the card, one calm little midnight kitty, looking awfully innocent...

As Moongold wrote
Black cats are supposed to be sexy but also to represent the darker side of the Planet Venus (Chapman).[...] Maybe it says a lot for the power of the Queen Wands that the Cat sits calmly at her feet, perhaps symbolizing the internal power of this wonderful Queen.

I love it! The Black kitty then, is like the card's own reversed meaning built in -- day, sunlight, flames, warmth, love, radiance, glow from the queen and her throne, yet she harbors at her feet, the stealth goddess of night and shadows, black as cinders, black as scorched earth, black as a piece of toast burned to a crisp...