Hasen the Magician

joya250

I looked for a thread on him... but didn't see one.

some observations/thoughts/ramblings:

The first thing that strikes me is this guy is pretty downcast. Why is he so sad? Or, is he really sad, or is he just "acting" to gain our sympathies? And whats up with the mis-matched eyes... which is also refected in his mask (obviously custom-made for his "uniqueness") Whats that thing on the ground that he is looking at? It looks like a stuffed horseshoe magnet... (he draws things to him... with his "magnetic attraction"). And where the heck is his right arm?? haha. One hand behind his back... slight of hand... he's got tricks up his sleeve. The more I look at him, the more capable he seems. He's tricky. Trying to fool us with his "I'm not a great magician... look I don't even have an arm!" act. Sneaky, sneaky. And, his wand is in his left hand... typically the side related to the sub-conscious, non-action side. So, he is in touch with this part, as it is through this he channels his manifestation. Now, there is the empty cartoon word caption balloons on his cap. That's clever. Relates to communication (Mercury)... but this communication is not set in stone... it doesn't exist, but must be conjured up. Oh, the possibilies. And, where the heck are all his "tools" that are typically found in the more traditional Magician cards?... cup, pentacle, wand, sword... All this guy has are dice and blocks with numbers. Hmmmm, mathematical equations. He's got it all figured out. With the right combination, he can create anything. (Makes me think of the "magic squares"... don't know if you guys are familar with this... think its a Golden Dawn creation or something. Basically, it breaks down names and sh*t to numerical codes, which then translate into a symbol, which is then able to channel the correct energy... prob. more involved, but that's it in a nutshell.)

Okay, yes, I'm rambling... just kind of observing and thinking outloud here. Did y'all notice the astrological symbols on the carpet? ... or rather, it just looks like the symbol for Aries, with the rest just random shapes... but maybe now I'm just seeing things. Now, why didn't Graham put the symbol for Mercury on this card? I've only flipped briefly through the deck, but it looked like several of the majors had their corresponding symbol on them.

Shall I write what the LWB says? You all prob. have it anyway, but here goes (and I apologize if this card has already been done, and I'm just not seeing it):

"Ladies and gentlemen, let me introduce a man who holds the potential to form a new reality, or conversely, a world of confusion.

Meet Hasan the Magician. As he stands before you demonstratiing his skills and techniques [is he demonstrating them? looks like he's just looking sad and uninspired...], you will find yourself amazed at the cleverness of this man. He views his audience as chess pieces, inhabitants strictly bound by defined tasks and movements. [Not very flattering for the audience... and not very wise for Hasan... unless, of course, he knows something we don't...] The Magician helps sells your ideas and solve your problems. The mask is hung to symbolize our changing feelings of love to hate, saddness to joy. [I think there's more to the mask then this...] He holds in his hand a Wand of Materialism -- for his magic takes place on the material plane. Be warned, Hasan the Magician can sell you anything. [... not nessecarily a good thing. why does he want to sell stuff? for the "money"?... you would think he would a be a little more "well-to-do" if this was the case?... or just cause he knows he can?]

Divinatory Meaning: Professional, organized, concentration, promotor, logical, focused, self-determined

Reverse Meaning: Sly, liar, con artist, pretense, argumentative

Overall, this guy feels slimy. Even the upright position of the card, to me, has negative undertones. .... Hasan the Used Car Salesman.

galadrial

Hi joya250,

I'm greatly enjoying your posts!
This card was discussed on 24/7, before we got organinzed and added the name of the card each time. Here is the thread: www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16140 . I also bumped up the ongoing tally to make it easier to track the threads down.
I think Hasan looks a bit elitist; like a someone who, upon realizing that there is a "Reality" beyond the reality, took the approach of studying everything he could on the subject and is now able to confound those who think that reality is only what their senses can detect. He can manipulate matter, words and numbers to perform "majic", but I think the mask hints that, if you too see the Reality behind reality, then the Magician cannot fool you. One of my friends was wowed over a particularly spot on reading I did for her over the phone, and I confess that I momentarity felt a bit Hasan-ish. Fortunately, I didn't go all Madame Mystery on her but encouraged her to try reading cards for herself and sent her one of my decks. She still likes me to read for her now and then, but I've noticed she is no longer in awe of my "powers"; she has discovered she can tap into the same source and do accurate readings on her own:)