Fantastical Tarot by Nathalie Hertz

Kiama

Hi all,

I was wondering if anybody has the Fantastical Tarot, and if so, what they thought of it? I am toying with the idea of buying it, but I'm not sure... Is it just a pretty face, or is there depth aswell?

Kiama

firestorm

Hi Kiama,

This deck was on my "I think I want it but I'm not sure" list as well. I aquired it from Faunabay and I have to say, I like it more than I thought I would. It's worth it for the artwork alone, but I find it a very readable deck. It's a very "moody" type of deck and doesn't vary much from RW symbolism.

joya250

Hi Kiama,

It IS a cool deck.... though I've never been able to read with it. It's too "dark" for me, even though it really isn't -- if that makes sense.

The artwork is cool. But the people don't have eyes really... either that or their eyes are closed.... or just really weird looking. I dunno. That bothered me... BUT... like I said, it is cool, and better than quite a few other decks out there.

If you get them, let us know how you like them!

joya

Little Baron

Hi Kiama

I have the fantastical but havn't read with it that much. It is a very moody deck and I do like a lot of the illustrations - especially the Lovers. Their are some very light but haunting scenes in the Swords suit which is the best element of the deck for me. When I got it, I made stories for the suits; walking from one card to the next and meeting the characters (sometimes taking one through the cards with me) and I think this is why I always feel fondly towards the Fantastical - because of my intitial meeting with it.

Let me know how you get on with it, should you get it. Any other questions, just ask!

Yaboot

lunalafey

joya250 said:
Hi Kiama,

It IS a cool deck.... though I've never been able to read with it. It's too "dark" for me, even though it really isn't -- if that makes sense.

YEP!
like the moon, I have my 'dark' side. But it's a gentle & reasonable darkness. I absolutly love this deck {goes with me every where}.
I do have trouble with just a few of the images reflecting the cards meaning- but it's still new to me....and my first 'dark' deck.

Kiama

I've noticed how all the figures in the cards look as though they have a cold! (Ned noses) The artwork does look very unrealistic, which I suppose is why the deck is named the Fantastical! But does anybody find the kind of artwork and depiction of people off-putting?

I think I read somewhere that the artist who did this deck also did another... The Vampire Tarot maybe?

Kiama

joya250

hey Kiama, Joy again...

I just whipped out my deck to refresh my memory. It has been a while since I've looked at it. While it is a beautiful deck, with its gold borders and intriguing images... and it even feels good, kinda smooth and slippery... I've had a hard time with the portrayal of the people. They look like zombies... zombies who have colds, nonetheless. Beautiful... but none of the cards feel cheerful to me (with few exceptions.)

I just pulled the cards that absolutely disagreed with me... and while you will find cards in every deck that just don't "do it", these cards are some pretty important ones (at least in my opinon.) I don't know if you can find all these posted online to decide for yourself, but this is a quick overview of the "bests and worsts"

The Hanged Man has got to be the most disturbing card in the deck. He is grossly misshapen and spikey! And he looks like he has been litterally hung, as his face is discolored (ew) and his hands are bound behind his back. Even his bum disturbs me.

Other cards that just aren't there: The Lovers, The High Priestess, and the Fool.

I've noticed that I really like all the cards with no people: The Tower, Four of Wands, Ace of Pentacles, and Ten of Cups.

Hope this helps! All and all... I don't suggest NOT getting the deck... as it is something to be appreciated. But if you are looking for a more functional deck, this may not be it... unless of course you relate to zombies with the flu! haha

good luck! joya

WolfSpirit

I had the Fantastical but only for a very short while ;) I see I am not the only one who had problems with the people in the deck. Did not notice the flu I thought the people looked so hungry with hollow cheeks and a bit nasty - and all done in the same way as some sort of gimmick.
What I did like about the deck: the absolutely gorgeous colours, and the fantasy elements in the cards.
I traded the deck to kaz and she liked it and found it easy to read.

Little Baron

The Hanged Mans bum!!! Yes, I had a problem with that ... but ... I do like this deck. I wouldnt part with it. The darkness is so absorbing and there are some absolutely lovely characters that you just want to get next to. The Sun doesn't completely fit and the discs do look like compact discs but ... well' its a matter of choise. I wouldn't disuade anyone from buying it. Regardless of what i have said about it, it is a good one, even though I don't read with it. I miss it when it is not there and love to spend time with it occasionally.

Y xxxx

inanna_tarot

I fell in love with the cards on the scans i've seen for a year or more, but i waited till the fantastical came to me. I really feel like i'm bonding with this deck.
The figures are dark and strange, but i love that too! The artist (who also did the vampire deck which i use and love) really pulls off the gothic/dark/strange world without it seeming shallow and all happy green things.
She really has thought long and hard about the symbolism and the techniques to the deck.

I'm also part of a study group about the deck too!!

Blessings
Sezo
x