The Principle Matter Spread (PMS) [No pun intended]

nodntap

The Principle Matter Spread (PMS)

Layout
P .. 2 .. 3
4 .. P .. 6
7 .. 8 .. P

The PMS spread is both a tarot spread and a card learning exercise.

Concentrate on the question while shuffling and cutting. Deal out one (1) card. This card is the Principle or Primary card. Set it in front of you and concentrate on this card as you again shuffle and cut your deck.

Excellent Idea: Do this if you have two (2) more tarot decks. It helps, and can be very insightful to take the principle/primary card out of two (2) other decks and set them out in front of you in the following manner.

P ...........
..... P .....
........... P

After the second shuffle and cut deal out the cards filling in the rest of the positions.

Layout
P .. 2 .. 3
4 .. P .. 6
7 .. 8 .. P

The primary or principle card will show up three (3) times in the spread, at positions 1, 5, and 9. Here are the general position meanings.

1, 2, 3 - The MME States
Position #1: The Seekers mental state
Position #2: The Seekers motivational state
Position #3: The Seekers emotional state

4, 5, 6 - The Challenge(s)
Position #4: Challenge and stress factors
Position #5: The Initial/Main Challenge
Position #6: Outside challenge and stress factors

7, 8, 9 - The Summation
Position #7: Integrating Factors
Position #8: Best possible outcome
Position #9: Empowerment Factors

Using the same card in each row can be very challenging and at times very difficult since this card is the seekers 'mental state', 'the main challenge', and the 'empowering factors'.

miss_apples

Wow...a very interesting spread. But I'll have to wait until I get my Quest tarot in the mail to try it since I only have 2 decks right now :)

WalesWoman

This is interesting, can you just draw three cards from one deck for the principle cards, if you don't have more than two decks? or what if you drew all three principle cards from one deck and the rest of the spread from another?

OakDragon

That IS a very interesting spread. Thanks for sharing it! I'll have to give it a try. I've never seen a spread with the same card repeated before.

nodntap

WalesWoman said:
This is interesting, can you just draw three cards from one deck for the principle cards, if you don't have more than two decks? or what if you drew all three principle cards from one deck and the rest of the spread from another?

Nope, you can't draw three cards from one deck. That defeats the purpose of the spread. The primary/principle card is to be used in the 1, 5, and 9 positions in order to learn that particular card better.

If you only have a single deck simply deal out cards 2 and 3 and then read them. Pick up cards 2 and 3 and set them aside.

P .. 2 .. 3

Then put the principle as the middle card and deal out cards 4 and 6.

4 .. P .. 6

Put cards 4 and 6 aside and put the principle at card number 9 and deal out cards 7 and 8.

7 .. 9 .. P

This is a perfect spread for using elemental dignities if you know how. You can use (read) them both up and down.

Don S.