lust

tourmaline

I'm new to the boards, so first let me say hi everybody!

I read the phallic devil thread (something I had noticed about the card, but not immediately), and it made me want to ask if anyone saw the, umm, feminine complement to that in the top portion of the lust card? (I can't come up with the word that corresponds to phallic right now, any suggestions?)

According to Harris, "she holds the cup or impregnated womb," but what I saw from the start is a lot more literal than the grail/womb. And more, umm, external too.

I'm not sure how explicit I should be, but the card strikes me as a lot more anatomically correct than the tradition which symbolizes female genitalia as a crevice/lack. (Think about what her hand is really holding.) Of course it fits in with the overall theme of the card.

Anyway, it's always made me think of Georgia O'Keefe's flower paintings, perhaps because I have several of them on my wall. :)

-tourmaline

Zephyros

Hey tourmaline! Welcome to Aeclectic!
Well, I'm sorry to say you've stumped me on that one, but then maybe its just me. I can understand the symbolism, but I'm not really sure what your alluding to. I mean. I am, but I can't see the graphic, PG13 aspect. But even if I don't, it makes sense that its there. Crowley was, well, eccentric. He wouldn't skimp on graphic details.

firemaiden

This is a fantastic card for discussion. First, have a fun time looking for images of the "chimaera" or chimera on google.

hyatt

hello!
I posted the phallic devil thread and I too have wondered what that crazy shape was in the sky. I too feel that it might be the female version of what I was talking about on the devil. I like the Thoth lust way MORE than the strength card. I think the woman riding the lion instead of shutting his mouth is fabulous. Instead of controling the emotions and shutting them she is fulling enjoying them - and that's what life is about... enjoying not surpressing.

Nycelle

I agree, this does appear to be a female phallic symbol (clumsy phrasing, but hey, I'm tired). It is interesting that it is seen as a symbol of strength - I wonder if that was Crowley or Harris!