LS Secret Tarot - Queen of Pentacles

mj07

"The Kingdom of Richness
The family ruling this land is always very busy: the king is the greatest merchant of the world. Part of his enormous riches are given to charity, thanks to the magnanimity of the queen."

Queen: Severe but generous

I actually can't see this Queen as being severe! She's clad all in warm tones of brown, seated in a garden or on a balconty, the fringe of small leafed tree branches behind her, and shrubberies in the distance. To me, she looks very calm and kind, VERY earthy. She holds her coin (since technically the suit in this deck has stars on it, not pentacles!) in front of her belly, as if displaying it. Her skirt is long and full.

What are those creatures engraved on the arms of her chair, though? Leopards? Does she have "secret" depths that are not immediately evident when just meeting her the first time?

lunakasha

Ooooh I am *excited*...my first post on the Secret!!! :D

To me, this queen looks very contented, comfortable....she is holding the pentacle in a relaxed manner, which tells me that she has a grasp on her finances, but is not overly concerned about them.

The color of the sky reminds me of a gentle summer evening, just before sunset....she is relaxing in her garden and taking in the beauty that surrounds her.

She presents as being warm, non-threatening and welcoming. She is a woman of the earth: grounded and firm, yet nurturing and with an open heart.

I believe that the gargoyles on her throne are to remind us that, despite her calm and welcoming appearance, she is also very strong-willed and unafraid of any challenges that may threaten her. She is very confident in herself as a woman and as ruler.

:) Luna

Centaur

I too cannot see this Queen as severe or in any way rigid. Infact, she seems to be the direct opposite... relaxed, and open.

Her posture looks very comfortable, sat there in her flowing robes. I was looking at her crown and it appears to have two horns. Could this be symbolic of Taurus? And thus a symbol of this Queen's connection to the earth?

If you look directly above her crown... etched in the stone is a rather disturbing looking creature with very long arms. As others have pointed out, there appear to be gargoyles or beasts surrounding her stoney seat. Might this be suggestive of this Queen's darker side? She may look sweet... but underneath it all, she is the severe character hinted at in the LWB. Generous, but severe.

hyatt

Hmmmm.....I guess that I do not view the Queen in the same light. The warm colors make me think of fire and someone lashing out. I can see that she is giving but I wouldn't cross her. I guess I can't really tell what is going on in her eyes. I see her as someone that doesn't easily forgive and forget.

contrascarpe

I agree - severe is too strong a word for this Queen. But to me, she is in control. She is confident and she is affluent. I am not sure I want to cross her. She is propped up against a wall so she has a strong footing. Yes, immediate reaction is that she is tender and sweet, but there definitely are some underlying motives. You won't find me crossing her!

Dan

Darla

Very interesting. I too see her as generous and gentle but I can also see where the thoughts of her darker side come from. What is very remarkable about this deck is that all the woman (including all of the queens) are very strong and I think one can say that they all have a huge amount of power and control.

Sanctum_Priest

I don't see this lady as generous or in control, or even maternal as I would expect the Queen of Pentacles to be. To me she looks dreamy and unpredictable, almost other-worldly.

teaguejb

I tend to align myself with Sanctum Priest on this. In fact, I find most of the court cards in this deck (with a couple of exceptions) rather generic and uninspiring. This queen doesn't strike me as generous or grounded or firm or anything else for that matter except clothed in warm earth tones.