Das Lied der Rohrigen - The Devil

Little Baron

My draw for today is 'The Devil'.

This card is a special one for me. It is the card that drew me to the Rohrig and, to the tarot' in general. The Rohrig was my first deck and I could not take my eyes away from how engaging this figure was when I looked at the samples in a shop. The only other card I remember from the samples was the 'Princess of Swords'. I also liked that card but it was the eyes from the central figure of the 'Devil' card that aroused me and provoked the purchase of my first deck.

The central figure in this card is a man. He is a handsome man. He is elegantly dressed, wearing a white shirt, buttoned to the top. He almost hypnotises the viewer. His eyes look straight into you and his eyebrows, curiously, grow outwards and upwards like the feathers of a bird; possibly an owl. However well presented he is, he has faint stubble; looks as if he could have been out all night in those clothes and hasn't been home yet.

To his right, is a woman. She looks sad or even like she is in some sort of trance; they seem oblivious to each other. She looks like she is wearing jewelery round her neck, or it could be the detail of her clothing. She looks like she is under the influence of something.

More disturbingly, to the mans left is a breast. The breast has an eye at the top. The eye also looks sad and as if it is about to cry.

The two people look as though they are from a privileged background. They also look as if they are characters from the past. The grey colouring for me, makes them look as though they are from old photographs. I have never thought of this before but are the ghosts? Whereas they are not like some of the courts, who seem medievil, it makes them seem modern. Whereas they are not like some of the characters, such as the woman in the 'Strength' card, who seems to be from the decade when this deck was created, they seem aged.

When I first looked at this card, I saw the guy as the Devil. Now, I look at the two (or three) as people under the influence of the Devil. I recently asked a questions about the 'handcuff-like' shapes at the top of the card and wondered if they were linked to the chains depicted in older decks.

There is something very sexually charged about this card. I can see the shadow sides of this, but am really wanting to be able to see the possitive attributes to the card as well.

Any thoughts?

Yaboot