Past Life & Karmic Tarot -- Irish Cross Spread

Catpaw

this is the third spread in Edain McCoy's book "Past Life & Karmic Tarot" and is not the Cletic Cross but a vairation on the cross known as St. Bridget's Cross (taken frm the popular and powerful Irish goddess Brighid, pronounced "breed"). These crosses of woven straw resemble the ever-truning wheel of life cycles, change, and the wheel of the year. The key points to remember about this 10-card spread are:

1. Read all cards in the upright position no matter how they fell when you turned them up. the only exception is Card 1, which should be read as it falls.

2. Read Card 2, the cross-card, as an upright card.

3. Remember that the future life arm of the cross is only applicable to you if you stay on your current life's course, learning nothing from your past. The future is what you make it.

After you have had time to contemplate and implement positive change do this rading again to look for changes in the future.

Layout s best as I can do here:

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX 10 XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX 9 XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX 1 XXXXXXXXXXX 7 XXXXX 8
5 XXXXX 6 XXXXXXXX 2 (crossing 1) XXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX 3 XXXXXXXXXXXXXxx
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXx 4 XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Card 1: indicates major past-life issue that is affecting your present life, and issue you must overcoem to have the rest of your current life, and your future lives, be transformed into what you want them to be. (this is the only card in the spread that shoudl be read in a reversed position if the card falls naturally into a reversed position.)

Card 2: the infamous cross-card representing an energy, issue, or person who either counters or encourages the karmic traits of the first card. (Cross cards are always read as if they were upright.)

Card 3: the first card that indicates what sort of karma must be dealt with in your current life to ensure a happy life in both your current incarnation and in future ones.

Card 4: shows what you did or did not do correctly in the past that caused your current internal imbalances.

Card 5: shows an issue or a time in your past current life that either began or set you up to begin the karmic repercussions shown in all previous cards. they do not have to be negative in nature, but could be sowing you the positive karma you created that is returning to you.

Card 6: continues the story of Card 5; the same issue or event that is now passing or has recently passed from your current life leaving you on the verge of working out the karmic issues shown in Cards 1 through 4.

Card 7: shows the near future of your current life. You may already be feeling the impact of the karma right now as this energy moveds to the forefront of your life.

Card 8: extends a little further in the future, predicting how you will respond to the foreknowledge given to you in Card 7. Again, this does not have to be a negative issue, but one that shows positive karma coming back to you in the form of a reward. It can also be indicative of a blind spot in your thinking. Take it as a warning to open your mind and expand it to embrace all possible creative solutions.

If you are not happy with the energies depicted in Cards 7, 8, you must remember you are in control of your future. You have the devinegift of free will and you can make any changes you really want to make.

Card 9: represents the early years of a future lifetime in which the karmic issue shown in Card 1 will manifest if the debt is not resolved in your current lifetime.

Card 10: represents the latter part of your future life and shows how the karma begun in a past life will continue to pursue you if you stay on your current path. If Cards 9 and 10 are positive, and you see nothing negative in Cards 7 and 8, you may have already set a course to correct that original karmic blunder. If not, you have now been warned that you must overcome the bad trait, habit, personality aspect, or attitude that will steer yoru future life cards in your desired direction.

WOW -- this is quite a spread!

Catpaw
+++++++++++++++++++
Past Life & Karmic Tarot
By Edain McCoy
Published by Llewelyn
Copyright 2004
ISBN 0-7387-0508-X

Cerulean

Cards

1. 9P - Realization of work without complete satisfaction

1. This is my past life issue. I am thinking about my art and creative studies. A friend from a gallery showing and creative group is moving away...it's been eight years we've known and I've progressed some...but not moved as far as I can, although I've completed some project hopes. My family has many creatives, but none have achieved creative success in the worldly sense...

2. 7Sw - Hope, waiting for news, important change

2. Energy, issue, or person that counters or encourages.
For a bit these past few years, have had a few creative friends and taken a few classes. It's been over a year since I've worked on this in a class. I enrolled in one class at the end of the month...but I should start without waiting for the class to start. My waiting for something to stimulate me is a block!

3. IV Il Cielo (Emperor) - Tiredness, surprises. In regular meanings, this realization or material mastery.

3. Karma to be dealt with---I was working hard and stressed late last year and early this year with work and sadness...I managed a few projects, but realized that to support myself and student husband, there had to be a wait. We've done adjustments since then and I am better, physically. So I am gaining good energy and planning carefully, taking these all into consideration.

4. KnSw - Mercenary

4. What I did or did not do in the past -- sometimes I would go all out like a knight of swords, in passion and heedless, and while it paid in terms of artistic reward, I was also taking awhile to restore savings and security and energy. I"m being better about this. At the same time, I need his energy and delight.

5. PaP (Page of Pentacles) - Brilliant student achieves satisfaction

5. Karmic reward--oh, I like this very much. It means my working it out will be geared toward my art and applying myself.

6. 10W - Success, but far from home town

6. Continuing Karmic movement--this means that what I've taken cautiously, in terms of saving and study, may also work toward betterment in my fall and winter studies and ideas. The work is not lost.

7.5P - Troubled business or love relationship

7. Near Future---hmmm, dealing with trouble? That happened last year and perhaps dealing with such continuing issues and trying to keep creative studies going
is a good and maturing experience. My reaction is simply learning to balance the fact that life happens and creative study fulfills me as well.

8. Temperance - Tranquility, familiarity

8. Response to Card 7 situation -- Oh, no stranger to trouble, but there is an additional progress in my art and creative response. Actually, that will be the best benefit, because the soft quiet in terms of how I deal with "life" comes from exercise, household/garden balances and creative projects. Tarot is one creative balance that adds to clarifiying reflections and helps me feel the joy in balance...

9. 7C - Fantasy

9. Early future of next lifetime if Card One is not resolved. So I'll continue to be fantasizing about art and creative work unless I go "mush-mush" to my inner sled dogs and keep pulling toward that creative goal. I need have my creative impulses pulling for me in this life by harnessing it toward study and dealing with material restrictions. This is my lesson. I learn to deal with creative impulses and fantasy in a material way and balances, by this 'real life.'

If I didn't have these restrictions and character-building goals, I would not rejoice in the blessing of being able to even do a little of this expression--for it is a great blessing to be able to express creativity. I could instead be dealing with creativity or creative success in the next life as a tempermental diva, a pitiful raging three-headed dog of anger. No, I don't want that!

10. 2P - Juggling, difficulty in closing troubles

10. Continuing into next life. Now my cards 7 and 8 were positive and cards 9 and 10 warned me of potential problems which meant in dealing with restrictions and life difficulties.

Yes, so many family stories where my grandmother and uncles and mother were recognized for their artistic ability and teachers said the students go to art school. The kind teachers saw my grandparents on the farm, struggling to make ends meet. The grandparents achieved miracles finally after twenty years of struggle (lost land in WWII; exiled from California; rose from dirt poverty to raise their kids to a small level of comfort and modest middle-class education thru high school). My parents had the same family stories...their children were clad well, as the grandmothers and mother's generation became excellent seamstresses and saved cloth from clients. They ate well because they grew their own food and saved...

I sew and garden some, but not to their level. I work moderately hard, but am not bone-tired from planting crops...certainly I can learn from their lives and example and push forward.

I'm learning. Tarot and creative studies...they are blessings.

Thank You!

Cerulean

Catpaw

Cerulean, great reading and I have only one thought -- the 2 of Pentacles could also mean, just have fun and enjoy the creative environment you make for yourself. Obviously the potential is great within you (and your family) so why worry -- just take it in stride and enjoy it. You may be more successful than you think and may have more rewards coming as a result. Decide to be happy and enjoy things as they come to you.

I will post my reading this weekend.

Catpaw

Catpaw

Irish Cross Spread Reading - Catpaw

I used the Robin Wood Deck for this reading of the Irish Cross Spread:

1. Major past-life issue that is affecting present life = Wheel of Fortune
2. Cross-card representing energy, issue or person who either counter or encourages the karmic traits of the first card = Knight Pentacles
3. First card that indicates what sort of karma must be dealt with in current life = Emperor
4. What I did or did not do correctly in the past that caused my current internal imbalances = 4 Swords
5. Issue or time in past life that either began or set up the karmic repercussions in all previous cards = Strength
6. Card continues story begun with card 5, the issue or event that is passing, leaving me on the verge of working out the karmic issues shown in cards 1-4 = 4 Cups
7. Near future of current life = 3 Swords
8. Extends further into the future, prediction how I may respond to the foreknowledge given in card 7 = High Priestess
9. Early years of future lifetime in which the karmic issue in card 1 will manifest if the debt is not resolved = 2 Pentacles
10. Latter part of future lifetime and show how the karma begun in a past life will continue to pursue me if I stay on current path = 6 Pentacles.

Comments: (1) The Wheel of Fortune tells me that in my past I have been faced with my true fate or destiny and perhaps I was not able to “go with the flow”. Sudden changes did not sit well with me and I found myself out of balance and perhaps taking too much of a gamble or unable to take a chance? Now I am facing a similar situation and must realize that I alone take responsibility for my actions and must be flexible to see all sides of issues.

(2) The Knight of Pentacles maybe indicating that I worked too hard and was too focused on the practical (financial) side of everything and was unable to be flexible enough to see the bigger issues/opportunities in my life all at once (as in the Wheel). Now these issues are before me and I must accept my obligation and take responsibility for future actions.

(3) The karmic issue deals with order in my life (Emperor), perhaps reinforcing my will power to overcome obstacles and also not to be too left-brained (logical) in all things. Through focused intent I can create conditions to conducive to finding my heart’s desire. (I do not associate this with a particular person, such as father, for this reading.)

(4) The need for healing is implicit in this card (4 Swords) and I sense that perhaps I did not heed the message during my past life -- to step back and anlyze the situation more carefully and allow time for recovery of old wounds.

(5) Strength indicates rulership/dominance, so perhaps I was too constricting and excerised too much control over others in my past life. I must realize that strength comes from within and is based on wisdom, knowledge, and belief in myself and others. I need to seize control of my own destiny and move forward by cultivating inner fortitude and above all, patience.

(6) The 4 of Cups indicates I am a bit uncertain about how to proceed but this confusion will gradually fade away and I will make a plan and move forward. I have begun to reevaluate my life and relationships with an eye toward uncovering possibilities tha I may have overlooked or ignored.

(7) The near future (3 Swords) indicates a rough road ahead for awhile; a journey that may be painful to see and accept as the truth. Heartbreak and disappointment will ensue but I must face the music and realize that “this too shall pass.” Then I can heal myself and others affected by my karma.

(8) By connecting with my intuition and my deep inner self (High Priestess) I can draw upon my inner strength to find a path that will lead to healing. I must be receptive to cues in my daily life to attain the understanding required.

(9) If I do not heed the lessons herein, in the future I will continue on a path that is uneven and the choice may become more difficult to make (2 Pentacles). A more holistic view is required -- mind, body, spirit, emotions – are all intimately connected. What affects one, affects the other.

(10) Another warning that I or those I love may suffer more severely in security/financial way if (6 Pentacles) as the “have nots”. Assistance is available – not financial support, per se. But rather comprehension and forgiveness to then generously give or receive aid when necessary. Accepting the lessons herein, I can see struggles waning and comfort coming from others (tokens of affection and caring). So the final lesson perhaps is what I give to others comes back to me twofold (or sixfold, as the case may be).

Catpaw

Cerulean

A slight alteration slant on Catspaw's reading...

1. Past affecting present = Wheel of Fortune
2. Cross is energy, issue or person who either counter or encourages the present = Knight of Pentacles
3. Karma must be dealt with now = Emperor
4. Past in internal imbalances = 4 Swords
5. Repercussions in all previous cards = Strength
6. What is passing, leaving me on the verge of working out the karmic issues shown in cards 1-4 = 4 Cups
7. Near future = 3 Swords
8. How I may respond = High Priestess
9. Early future if card 1 not resolved = 2 Pentacles
10. Latter future lifetime what will continue = 6 Pentacles.

Changes, constant as the Wheel of Living and the crosspoint or crossroads energy is perhaps a tendency to follow the Money or resources. I was thinking that in a former situation, the reading at the first part might signify a quieter path of going where the physical resources are to support your goals. If you were a Knight of Pentacles, you do move, but your horse is the most solid workhorse of them all and your energy is much stiller and solid than the other knights. The strong ideals of the Knight of Pentacles are law-abiding and practical.

In the past, perhaps the material was considered more crucial and necessary and meant more to your soul. But I see movement in other ways as the reading progresses. In the past, you may have considered yourself rich and well-off with an older definition of service to a rich lord or in service of the kingdom and the established order. Your wealth or acquisitions, a kind of 'empire building' or credits or physical manifestion may have guided your choices for self-worth.

But the motion and changes that were followed in the past might have resulted in no or little rest; there's a striving to better one's fortune. The past may have relied on physical strength for youth. Then came a learning and a shift to rely on developing inner faith and strengths of your soul.

At the other side of the grief and retreat or need for rest in the four of swords is the ideas expressed in the four of cups. I have read a beautiful meaning in a Thoth-based design (Via Tarot) of the four of cups is a freedom of expression of love and relationships. So after a past of physically-restrained limits, now what is growing and passing is the fetters to free up freedom and release of expression, relations and emotion.

While the breaking open may feel like heart break at the piercing or opening of old memories or the passage of the old reliance on 'things' of the world...here your newer response maybe one of inner stillness and a receptive state that is more fulfilling.

The lesson to be learned if nothing else is changed is that one will juggle the left and right, right and left, turning and adapting to each turn of the wheel as they must, with both internal and external thoughts and balances. Perhaps the idea is in times of physical good and abundance, one takes time out to also survey the land, face the sunset each day, rest when it is a time of stillness for a fulfilling life. What is interesting in the two of pentacles is one person is balancing constantly and at their own pace. They know it's a constant trick and adjust their pace accordingly.

And because of the pacing and adjustment to allow for inner and outer change and growth, there results in a small but gentle prosperity---perhaps it is a the fine line between being one of the two medicants of the five of pentacles ignoring the lighted sanctuary in the Rider Waite and being the prosperous merchant giving alms to the poor--but that fine line is good enough given your fresh balances and time to enjoy your life. You have gone past being the good soldier, more receptive to your own pace and even putting on your own show during the week and being able to be rich enough to give to a chosen few on weekends...perhaps even twice on Sundays! I'm making a slight joke based on the glance of the Rider Waite images of the Five and Six of Pentacles---it's the Six of Pentacles stage, in your reading, that I know...but I was thinking the previous five of pentacles is such a contrast.

Hope that input was interesting to you.

Take care,

Cerulean

Catpaw

Thanks Cerulean

Cerulean, Once again you offer a different way of looking at the past life spread and I appreciate your insights and knowledge. I am studying this reading and spread more closely so I can get a better grasp of it's meaning for me. I think it ia an important one.

I will wait a week to post the next spread so I can concentrate on this one.

Catpaw

mooncat2

Irish Cross - mooncat

In honour of the Lady Brighid I chose to use the Sacred Circle and have interpreted in pairs - they seemed to go naturally together.

1. Karmic issue - 2 Cups - Harmony
2. Crossing card - King Cups

The 2 Cups seems to confirm what I saw in the Lovers of the last spread. The major past life issue I am confronting concerns emotional balance and how it affects my relationships with others.
The energy and commitment to the wellbeing of loved ones has been motivated by a need to love and be loved in return, to feel safe and secure in a family environment to such an extent that for a long time my own growth and self expression were ignored.

3. Current karma - 9 Cups - Stability
4. Cause of current imbalances - 5 Wands - Grounding

Nine beautiful gold cups all delicately balanced and surrounded by flowers. Again there is the sense of order and happiness found through security - knock one of these cups over and the whole lot will come tumbling down. Fear of leaving my comfort zone? In the background , Glastonbury Tor - I have climbed that path to the top, very steep! when we went to the UK. Now that was venturing way out of my secure little life, a real adventure and it was magical.
In the past I have dreamed and learned, but like the 5 Wands floating my ideas and aspirations have never been grounded in reality because I didn’t have the courage to get out there and do something.

5. Beginning of current karma - The Lady ( Empress)
6. continued - Queen Wands

An early marriage and motherhood set the wheel rolling for a repetition of a life I feel I have lived many times. Perhaps also it began through watching the interaction between my mother and father.
As time has passed and having the advantage of living in a society where a woman’s role has changed so much over the last 30 years I’ve learned to be more independent, to stand up for what I want , to balance family obligations with developing my own talents.

7. Near future - Knight Wands
8. Further future - 10 Cups - Rewards

I like that Knight - shows a far more positive approach. Still a challenge that has to be accepted but the motivation to get moving is there.
If I do the rewards are there with the emphasis not on material or financial gains but spiritually and emotionally. There is the potential here to end this karmic cycle.

9. Early future lifetime - 3 Wands - Foundation
10. Later future life - King Pentacles.

From the previous reading I have a repeat - the 3 Wands & 10 Cups - again together.
As I looked at them I saw that the creators of this deck have actually used the same background for both these cards. There is a rainbow like a bridge between the two lifetimes. In front of the 10 Cups are the cups, by a hedge, filled with the harvest of autumn. The 3 Wands has a summer scene with strong flowering plants growing beside the hedge. It is as though the seeds from the harvest of this life will be the foundation for the next.
( Thankyou, Catpaw, for your interpretation of these cards - it does seem to go along with this)
If I fail to gather that harvest then the early years of the next one will be spent still struggling with lack of confidence and motivation to act on my own with the likelihood of latching on to a strong partner who will give me the security I need.

mooncat2

Catpaw - I think that is a good idea to take some time to reflect on what we have learned so far.

I plan to look at all three readings together with attention to repeating cards, suits and numbers and how they interact between the readings - I think there is much valuable info there.

I'll try not to be too long at posting some comments on both yours and Ceruleans.

Cerulean

I agree, another week of reflection is fine

And the pairs idea is quite good!

Catch you-all in a bit.

Great book for spreads and reflective thoughts.

Thanks,

Cerulean

Catpaw

Thank you both for your feedback and for your participation. I am learning so much from each of our readings and I certainly am trying to figure out how best to proceed in my own karmic lifecycle. This is such an important thing for me and has been on my mind for many years but not until this book came out did I venture into this area.

Thanks to Edain McCoy for the book "Past Life & Karmic Taort"!