general question

Kaz

i would like to read a book on the symbolism used in the marseille deck, why are things there, why are the colors choosen like they are, etc.
anyone have a good suggestion?

kaz

Kaz

i read german and french as well, so if you know any in those languages thats ok as well. though english is preferred.

kaz

merri

Hi Kaz,

I'm not really familiar with the marseilles deck, but I've just started reading a book; "Jung and Tarot" an archetypal journey' by Sallie Nichols. I'm not sure this is the kind of book you're looking for ..but it uses predominantly marseille symbolism & imagery as a kind of springboard for an indepth look at the trump archetypes, (the minors are not discussed at all though). It wouldn't be any good if what you're looking for is a quick reference guide to the symbolism ..but looks like it'll be a great source for a deeper insight and understanding of the majors in general.

merri :)

catlin

Hi Kaz,

There is a book available (either in French or German) by a Collette.....Haeberle (or something like that). It was in my Marseilles deck set and I remember having heard a lot of this lady. She seems to be very well known im France. Her book deals with an astrological approach on the Marseilles.

Shall I look up the title?

What about the books of Papus and Oswald Wirth? Would they also be to your liking?

Kaz

cartlin,
i havent heard of any of the books you mention here, so i have to look them up on amazon.
if you would look up the one you have by colette whatshername, yes please ;-)

merri,
i will laso look this one up whatits about, thanks for mentioning it.

kaz

jmd

It's amazing how much can happen in one day! Great to see others join in.

I personally do not know any book which specifically deals with colouration or symbolism specifically with Marseilles decks, though a few deal with the Wirth deck (which, though based on the Marseilles, deviates from it, and provides the iconographic 'bridge' between it and the later Waite/Colman-Smith deck).

It should also be remembered that Marseilles decks have peculiar colours depending on their printer, and mild discrepancies in representation.

Kaz

{mari}

mari : the best ever link in a long time :)
this saves me the trouble of finding a book to read.
thanks soooo much

kaz

tigerlily

I get a 404 when I click on this link... can you give me the title of the site so that I can do a google search?